Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Sparrow

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Any way back for him in the first-team to play in the league? Unfortunately can't see it myself and appears he has fallen behind Navarro in the pecking order.

He'll likely play against Liverpool but after that I can see him going out on loan as I don't think he's the sort of player who would just sit around and accept not getting on the bench.

Thoughts?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Can't see him going out on loan as I still think he'll have a big part to play. Don't see him and Navarro as the same sort of player, Sparrow is more likely to play in Harley's further forward role. He's a victim of the 5 sub rule as he would be on the bench every week if we were still allowed 7 men. Harley is obviously first choice but Sparrow is better defensively in my opinion and maybe used away from home instead as Harley's tracking back leaves a lot to be desired from the first few games I've seen.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Can't see him going out on loan as I still think he'll have a big part to play. Don't see him and Navarro as the same sort of player, Sparrow is more likely to play in Harley's further forward role. He's a victim of the 5 sub rule as he would be on the bench every week if we were still allowed 7 men. Harley is obviously first choice but Sparrow is better defensively in my opinion and maybe used away from home instead as Harley's tracking back leaves a lot to be desired from the first few games I've seen.

This.

I would also think he will probably start against the 'Pool as well.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
It's a ridiculous overreaction to imagine that missing a couple of matches means a player is out of contention. We have a very strong squad, and I trust that Gus is working with players who are comfortable with being part of a squad and won't throw their toys out of the pram.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yep, certain starter for me against Liverpool. Spaz for Harley, Navarro for Bridcutt, Lua Lua for Noone, Vincelot for Greer, Tanno for Painter and Vicente for CMS.

Why; do we want to beat Liverpool if so play Bridcut and also Vincelot instead of Dicker and also keep Greer in the side. Navarro has struggled each game that he been brought on and I see Vincelot as a better defensive midfielder than him and Sparrow as a better option as an attacking midfielder.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Why; do we want to beat Liverpool if so play Bridcut and also Vincelot instead of Dicker and also keep Greer in the side. Navarro has struggled each game that he been brought on and I see Vincelot as a better defensive midfielder than him and Sparrow as a better option as an attacking midfielder.

Think Nav did ok against Leics when he came on (he did a PEACH of a crossfield ball) and he set up the winner against Sunderland.

I would start with Nav, this is exactly the sort of game he needs to get his fitness up. Now is the time to play the "fringe" players as such.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Sparrow will still be a key player for us this season. You have to say he's been an unfortunate victim of the stupid new sub rules. He doesn't have Vinderloo's versatility & when were looking to close out a game Navarro is a better option than Sparrow who's more attacking minded.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

Navarro has been great when he has come on recently? Sunderland especially.

I think he will rest one of the centre backs for the game and as Dunk is likely to pick up another booking then he will automatically have to miss a game, therefore I wouldn't be surprised to see Dunk and Vincelot play against Liverpool and Vincelot/Greer against Leeds (with Lewis suspended) with Dunk returning to partner GG against Palace.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
As much as Sparrow has been quiet recently he's very energetic and covers the ground well, I can't help but feel if he had started, or at least played some part, vs Leicester we would not have been overrun in midfield.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What about other midfielders that we have like Sparrow. Lua Lua. Buckley, Vincelot, Vicente not to mention those in the first team of Bridcutt Harley Dicker and Noone I am sure there are a number of options for a midfield place and I wouldn't put Navarro in the team. He is too slow and cannot tackle as well as Bridcutt or Vincelot.

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
I actually think Sparrow has given a better showing in the games he has played this season (Cardiff, Sunderland) than most last season, and has been really unlucky to be replaced. Certainly still has a part to play in my opinion.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
What about other midfielders that we have like Sparrow. Lua Lua. Buckley, Vincelot, Vicente not to mention those in the first team of Bridcutt Harley Dicker and Noone I am sure there are a number of options for a midfield place and I wouldn't put Navarro in the team. He is too slow and cannot tackle as well as Bridcutt or Vincelot.

You really can't have been watching him recently or before his injury. Granted Bridcutt is more talented, but Navarro is a quality midfielder and probably our best long range passer of the ball

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You really can't have been watching him recently or before his injury. Granted Bridcutt is more talented, but Navarro is a quality midfielder and probably our best long range passer of the ball

Like I say as witnessed with his peach of a crossfield pass against Leics

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Navarro has been great when he has come on recently? Sunderland especially.

I think he will rest one of the centre backs for the game and as Dunk is likely to pick up another booking then he will automatically have to miss a game, therefore I wouldn't be surprised to see Dunk and Vincelot play against Liverpool and Vincelot/Greer against Leeds (with Lewis suspended) with Dunk returning to partner GG against Palace.
Down to opinions, I think he has been poor, that one cross against Sunderland aside and why this obsession with Vincelot playing as a central defender he is a midfielder or full back who COULD play centre back in an emergency, like Sunderland when Greer was injured. If it was a planned change I think Cook would be the obvious choice as a central defender replacement.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is nobody in football that can pass a ball over 40yds like Beckham so would you pick him for England based solely on that. Of course you wouldn't so why pick Navarro because he made 1 good pass in each of two games against Sunderland and Leicester. The rest of his game has been non existent to put it mildly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here