Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt O Riley [26/08/24 - sings on a 5-year deal]

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
Of course he will. Bad fouls happen sometimes, if the ref sees it and decides it merits a yellow card or no card, then it's just one of those things. Gilmour got away with one against Forest last season didn't he? I think it was WBG. Only got a yellow when it could and should have been a red. If the Crawley bloke had punched O'Riley (ie violent conduct) and the ref missed it, that might be different, but a foul is "just" a foul...no chance of further punishment.

I say we move on, keep our fingers crossed that O'Riley isn't badly hurt, and leave that no-mark non-leaguer to what remains of his career with Crawley Town, which I'm sure is absolutely the football career he dreamed of when he was a boy.
Some of the complacency from a few Albion fans is really mystifying. I really don’t understand the pusillanimous 'let’s not make a fuss, these things happen in sport' attitude. This wasn’t a 'coming together'. It was an outright assault on a key player we’ve spent months negotiating with, 6 or 7 minutes into his debut, by a brutal player who has previous for this sort of thing. Not only that, he smiles and winks after the incident. Why the f*** people are so scared of confronting the club and the player, beats me.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Some of the complacency from a few Albion fans is really mystifying. I really don’t understand the pusillanimous 'let’s not make a fuss, these things happen in sport' attitude. This wasn’t a 'coming together'. It was an outright assault on a key player we’ve spent months negotiating with, 6 or 7 minutes into his debut, by a brutal player who has previous for this sort of thing. Not only that, he smiles and winks after the incident. Why the f*** people are so scared of confronting the club and the player, beats me.

I think there is a place in between tbh. It’s fine to be angry and I think the player should see some punishment for it as it was a horrendous tackle.

That’s it though. Things like he was a new signing, cost £25m, negotiated for over months, debut etc are all completely irrelevant tbh. What he is worth to us or the fact he’s new, bear no relevance to the actual challenge, and I’m not sure why people talk about them as thought they matter.

It was simply a terrible tackle in a game and they happen.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
The ref was an inexperienced bottler, no?

The fact that the tackle didn’t even get a booking led Crawley to believe that they could foul us at will. Would you have risked an injury in a game where a ref was that incompetent ? I expect the ref to be disciplined if there is an ounce of due diligence carried out on ref‘s performances.

I hope to see something done about the **** who made the tackle and the ref who basically condoned it. I won’t be holding my breath though :angry:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The ref was an inexperienced bottler, no?

The fact that the tackle didn’t even get a booking led Crawley to believe that they could foul us at will. Would you have risked an injury in a game where a ref was that incompetent ?

Exactly.

I expect the ref to be disciplined if there is an ounce of due diligence carried out on ref‘s performances.

:laugh:

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
I think there is a place in between tbh. It’s fine to be angry and I think the player should see some punishment for it as it was a horrendous tackle.

That’s it though. Things like he was a new signing, cost £25m, negotiated for over months, debut etc are all completely irrelevant tbh. What he is worth to us or the fact he’s new near no relevance to the actual challenge, and I’m not sure why people talk about them as thought they matter.

It was simply a terrible tackle in a game and they happen.
Sigh. Those things are not in the least bit irrelevant. It’s exactly why he was targeted — to make sure this flash new boy didn’t get ideas above his station. It’s as clear as day to me that Williams was told, or at least encouraged, by his gaffer to give Matt a 'warm welcome' to the game. It was a 100% deliberate foul. That’s obvious because it was so horribly late. It’s a truly dreadful tackle. Watch it from different angles and all will be clear.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It was a premeditated, nasty foul by a lower league clogger out to make a name for himself against the ‘big boys’, sadly not punished as it should have been by the ref. The fact it was O’Riley makes us more angry but it isn’t really relevant. There’s nothing to confront…….he did it, he’s a ***t but that’s the end of it I suspect (can even see him getting a retro ban).

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Because it’s part of football. Get over it.

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
8I’m
Because it’s part of football. Get over it.
And you’re one of the worst offenders. You just refuse to admit that it was a shocking incident. Why? No idea. Theatrical diving for penalties is also 'part of football' but that doesn’t make it in the least bit acceptable. Some things deserve to be called out, and a few people, notably you, refuse to do so.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Sigh. Those things are not in the least bit irrelevant. It’s exactly why he was targeted — to make sure this flash new boy didn’t get ideas above his station. It’s as clear as day to me that Williams was told, or at least encouraged, by his gaffer to give Matt a 'warm welcome' to the game. It was a 100% deliberate foul. That’s obvious because it was so horribly late. It’s a truly dreadful tackle. Watch it from different angles and all will be clear.
Yeah it was so obviously pre-meditated d designed to injure.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
8I’m
And you’re one of the worst offenders. You just refuse to admit that it was a shocking incident. Why? No idea. Theatrical diving for penalties is also 'part of football' but that doesn’t make it in the least bit acceptable. Some hints deserve to be called out, and a few people, notably you, refuse to do so.
Pretty much everyone agrees it was a shocking tackle (even his own manager apologised). No-one thinks it’s acceptable. What precisely are you wanting us all to do in terms of ‘confronting the club and player’ ??

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Unpunished GBH on a player because the ref is incompetent is part of football? Did Crawley find that player at Whipsnade?

I will NOT be getting over it. Fouls like that should be a nailed on red card.
GBH? You better call a policeman then. I know what they’d tell you. :ROFLMAO:

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Pretty much everyone agrees it was a shocking tackle (even his own manager apologised). No-one thinks it’s acceptable. What precisely are you wanting us all to do in terms of ‘confronting the club and player’ ??
What about the gnarly old tart who is part of the Crawley team’s now deleted post. I think Crawley were proud of that tackle. ****s

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Unpunished GBH on a player because the ref is incompetent is part of football? Did Crawley find that player at Whipsnade?

I will NOT be getting over it. Fouls like that should be a nailed on red card.
GBH again! :ROFLMAO:

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

There is absolutely no evidence of that at all and tbh it seems extremely unlikely.

It was basically a shocking tackle which was probably premeditated to the extent it was intentional to hurt him when he did it. The fact it was O’Riley is just incidental I think, there’s no reason to target him specifically, he was just unlucky to be on the end of it.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here