Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt O Riley [26/08/24 - sings on a 5-year deal]

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
O'Riley, Kadioglu, Rutter and this defender from PSV?

I very much doubt we'd get all of them in, yet credible media outlets suggesting we are seriously in for all of them.

Whilst I am not against the signing of quality players, my personal view is that a lot of Chelsea's problems are down to high player turnover and big influxes of new players. I'm a bit cautious about the fact too many new players, regardless of quality, could be a bit unsettling.

Agree, I'm a little concerned as I've never thought signing too many players in one window is a good idea, it tends to unsettle the squad.

It tends to end up like Chelsea or newly promoted teams gambling on staying up or falling down the divisions if they fail.

Though I don't think we've signed too many players that all expect to start yet and we've shipped a few out too.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
We've got/recently had several of these.

O'Riley - a London Dane
Lamptey - a London Ghanaian
Sarmiento - a London Ecuadorian
Alzate - a London Colombian
McGill - a Sussex Canadian

Slight variation:
Chouchane - a Parisian Tunisian
Dahoud - a Monchengladbach Syrian

Just to grow up in one country doesn't dismiss your ties or feeling of belonging to another of your family's heritage.

Though I think there was an interview with Essien about this recently, to the effect of "don't call up Ghana's FA at age 29 having never been in the country, because you've realised you're not going to get the England cap". It's an interesting balancing act.

Sarmiento was born in Spain
Chouchane has a German mother, Dahoud was born in Syria to Kurdish parents.
Sorry my bad. I genuinely thought I’d heard him speak sounding very foreign 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Chouchane has a German mother, Dahoud was born in Syria to Kurdish parents.

At the risk of derailing the thread I'm not sure what you're trying to disprove. The point I was making is where these players grew up is not the nation that they represent, there was no inherent judgment in that either, just mentioning that we've had several players in this category. O'Riley and Kadioglu will be two more.

Sarmiento spent most of his youth in London. Chouchane most of his in Paris. Dahoud most of his in Germany.

Sarmiento has a Latino accent when speaking Spanish and a London accent speaking English, I'd expect nothing less frankly.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Agree, I'm a little concerned as I've never thought signing too many players in one window is a good idea, it tends to unsettle the squad.

It tends to end up like Chelsea or newly promoted teams gambling on staying up or falling down the divisions if they fail.

Though I don't think we've signed too many players that all expect to start yet and we've shipped a few out too.
Different clubs

Everything about the Albion is forward thinking and the fans are fully on board . There isn’t a hint of rot in the club . As long as we are not bottom 7 then all will be fine . The expectations here are just different

It’s too big a machine all pulling in the same direction for a Chelsea situation to grow and develop imo

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

We have Lost too many players that have not been replaced ,
we are playing catch up

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Different clubs

Everything about the Albion is forward thinking and the fans are fully on board . There isn’t a hint of rot in the club . As long as we are not bottom 7 then all will be fine . The expectations here are just different

It’s too big a machine all pulling in the same direction for a Chelsea situation to grow and develop imo
We have Lost too many players that have not been replaced ,
we are playing catch up

Agree with both points.

We badly especially needed to sort out the midfield since Caciedo and Mac left, we got through so easy there last season and have cover for injuries.

We've also got a great core of longtime players and also experienced winners (like Welbeck and Milner) who don't expect to start or even play every game that will welcome but also have a word with any players making a fuss of not starting.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
When you talk about the population of Brighton you wouldn't include Worthing and Burgess Hill etc so why do it for Glasgow? The population of Glasgow is circa 650k, Hamilton, Paisley, Motherwell etc are all separate towns with their own identities and clubs.
It's a strange one. People talk about tokyo having a population of 30m all the time but it doesn't.

The city has a population of 10m. The 'county' is 13m. 'Greater tokyo' is 30m but that includes Yokohama (one of Japan's biggest cities in its own right) and all the surrounding prefectures. Its like including Essex, surrey etc in the population of London.

So, in short, people seem to measure city populations any way they want!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Having medical today

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here