Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt O Riley [26/08/24 - sings on a 5-year deal]

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_and_cities_in_Scotland_by_population
1 Glasgow - 632,350
2 Edinburgh - 506,520
3 Aberdeen - 198,590
4 Dundee - 148,210

Whilst I'd expect the teams in the biggest city to have more support, I find that when I go to Scotland, it doesn't matter which town I'm in, people ask if I support Celtic or Rangers (they support one of them, despite living somewhere else). They don't generally seem interested in supporting their local team.
The Glasgow conurbation has a population of 2 million

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why is it disproportionate - Glasgow is a huge city compared with anywhere else in Scotland- well over 10 ten times bigger than say somewhere like Dundee. Of course it’s going to have the biggest and best supported teams, be a bit strange if it didn’t

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_and_cities_in_Scotland_by_population
1 Glasgow - 632,350
2 Edinburgh - 506,520
3 Aberdeen - 198,590
4 Dundee - 148,210

Whilst I'd expect the teams in the biggest city to have more support, I find that when I go to Scotland, it doesn't matter which town I'm in, people ask if I support Celtic or Rangers (they support one of them, despite living somewhere else). They don't generally seem interested in supporting their local team.

👇

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent

Just like WBG. Still training, still playing. Manager says he would like him to stay. I bet by the time Transfer deadline passes he has gone to Napoli. Clubs are pushing for the very best deal. Us the cheapest most cost effective. Celtic, the opposite. Somewhere in the middle a compromise will be found. It is however a huge risk to play someone if you intend to sell them and they get injured!!

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
1 Glasgow - 632,350
2 Edinburgh - 506,520
3 Aberdeen - 198,590
4 Dundee - 148,210

Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen are well supported, and the Dundee/Utd rivalry is fierce according to my Dundee mate.

But honestly, WTF is this discussion all about? I suppose we are just bored with having no news. But I can’t for the life of me work out why some people are getting so emotional about another country’s footballing traditions.

I’ll mention in passing that the one match in Scotland I’ve seen live — Celtic 6 Hibs 3 in the 1974 League Cup Final — was one of the most extraordinary football experiences I’ve ever had. Not just the crazy match itself but the incredible crowd scenes. The singing, the fighting, the drinking… it was Hogarthian, like a battle scene from the Lord of the Rings. Bloody hell. Literally. But anyway. Any news on Matt O’Reilly?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
lol you have a weird issue with someone simply posting verifiable facts
You should know by now that verifiable facts have no place on NSC - only conjecture and fish puns.
On the subject of verifiable facts, the population of Greater Glasgow is just over 1million.

You can get up to 1.7million if you include places that are near Glasgow.

In any case, both definitions include far more teams than just Celtic and Rangers.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But honestly, WTF is this discussion all about?

I think it's about why a middling team in England could be in a position to buy a top player from the best team in Scotland.

But I can’t for the life of me work out why some people are getting so emotional about another country’s footballing traditions.

Who's emotional :shrug:

I’ll mention in passing that the one match in Scotland I’ve seen live — Celtic 6 Hibs 3 in the 1974 League Cup Final — was one of the most extraordinary football experiences I’ve ever had. Not just the crazy match itself but the incredible crowd scenes. The singing, the fighting, the drinking… it was Hogarthian, like a battle scene from the Lord of the Rings. Bloody hell. Literally.

Are the games outside of the old firm derby still as amazing as that was?

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
I think it's about why a middling team in England could be in a position to buy a top player from the best team in Scotland.

But we all know why a middling team (etc) can buy a top player from a club in another smaller country. The PL is regarded as the place to play, we have more money than them and we will pay higher wages.

There’s a lot of sneering, and I’ve no idea why.

Re the 3rd question, I very much doubt it. This was the roaring 70s, the epicentre of football hooliganism.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove

I went to see Raith v Peterhead a couple of years ago and it was like watching Crawley v Crewe. Sparse crowd with an away support of 80- but it really meant something to those that were there (apart from me).

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
There's probably some competitiveness between English and Scottish teams/people.
Not sure why there would be in this context.

As far as the respective top divisions are concerned it'd be like me feeling competitive about running a 100m sprint against my toaster.

Which really shouldn't be surprising, there are just far more people, larger towns/cities and more clubs in England than Scotland.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I believe the Scotland has the highest % of its population attending football matches of any country in Europe.

There is a stat along those lines which I’ve definitely read but I can’t be arsed to check what it actually is.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
It STILL irritates me that the BBC put the Scottish Premiership scores and matches up on their site before the Championship :smile:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I went to see Raith v Peterhead a couple of years ago and it was like watching Crawley v Crewe. Sparse crowd with an away support of 80- but it really meant something to those that were there (apart from me).
I’ve been to a few Hibs games, it’s the closest ground to where my non football following mate lives in Edinburgh so when visiting I go and take in a game if they are at home.

The quality of football is generally crap but the matches I’ve been too are normally entertaining error strewn goal fests. It’s still the place where I heard the best football insult ever directed at an opposition footballer when a Hibs fan a couple of rows in front of me shouted “f*** off you cart horse of ****” at a centre half who just cleared the ball out of the stadium.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Next up, I think we should add a few more pages to this thread by discussing how "big" Brighton is compared to Celtic.

This never fails to entertain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here