Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Clarke

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Duffy out of contract June 2023 - I think his contract won't be renewed which opens up a space for one of the above

Hmmm that's a pretty big call, he has already surprised us massively once by forcing his way back into the team after that disasterous loan move to Celtic.

I think he may be offered a further year, let's wait and see.

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd be very surprised if we let Van Hecke go with the progress he's making this season at Blackburn - could potentially make the first team or another good loan. I think it's highly likely that Ostigard will go permanently though. A loan for Roberts in the Championship next season I'd have thought, particularly if he is loaned to League One against this season if the Massive rumour is true.

Clarke a bit of a question mark at the moment. He must want to settle at a club I would have thought rather than have another loan next season again so I guess it will come down to whether Potter thinks he is ready in the summer or if we sell him. I'd also expect Duffy to go permanently in the summer.

The Roberts loan to Wednesday story seems to have gone very quiet.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hmmm that's a pretty big call, he has already surprised us massively once by forcing his way back into the team after that disasterous loan move to Celtic.

I think he be offered a further year, let's wait and see.

I'm not in any way being critical of Duffy and agree he has surprised all. But I think with any team you need to evolve and I can't see us going into 23/24 season with Dunk/Duffy/Webster still as mainstays. Will need to bring some of the younger players through. I also think we would benefit from a left footed CB

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
He's been player of the season at Derby and on track to now get it at West Brom. He is clearly a top performer in the Championship so highly likely he could do a very good job in the Prem.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I think he be offered a further year, let's wait and see.

I'd certainly be offering Duffy another year or two rather than paying a fee for another defender (which we've been rumoured to be thinking of)

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd certainly be offering Duffy another year or two rather than paying a fee for another defender (which we've been rumoured to be thinking of)

We've got van Hecke, Clarke, Ostigard and Roberts to choose from if Duffy goes - plus Turns and Tsoungui coming through. If Duffy goes - and I only say if; I've no idea whether he will or not - there should be no need to buy anyone. Developing and bringing through players is the way to go.
And if we carry on with two CBs, we'll have four for two places anyway.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Maybe Newcastle will offer £20 million for him as they need good defenders and then we can tell them to F*ck off he's worth more...

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Maybe Newcastle will offer £20 million for him as they need good defenders and then we can tell them to F*ck off he's worth more...

In the PL team of the season. He's worth easy £20m. Twice that to Newcastle

D

Deleted member 2719

Friends of mine who are Pompey fans still rave about him, they're surprised he's not a Premier League regular yet.

Centre backs do mature later so there is definitely still time for him to break into our team. Dunk, Duffy and Burn weren't Premier League players until they were 26/27. I'm certainly not giving up on him.

You need to get to grips with the type you mix with.

I hope you are giving them plenty of stick about being out of the top flight for a decade. :lolol:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
The Roberts loan to Wednesday story seems to have gone very quiet.

I guess that maybe on hold as Duffy is currently injured. I would expect that to go through after the Leicester game.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Matt Clarke West Brom POTS

Seems like he's a pretty unanimous choice for the inferior Albions player of the season award. Wonder if we'll integrate him as part of our squad next season or send him back out.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Matt Clarke West Brom POTS

Seems like he's a pretty unanimous choice for the inferior Albions player of the season award. Wonder if we'll integrate him as part of our squad next season or send him back out.

Interesting to see that although he won their POTS, quite a few of their fans say he was consistent but not spectauclar. Funnily enough I was chatting to a Derby fan at the weekend and I asked him what he thought of Clarke. He said he was a solid championsip player but not good enough for the Prem. Not really sure what to make of him myself, but I do wonder if the Brighton first team is a stretch too far.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Interesting to see that although he won their POTS, quite a few of their fans say he was consistent but not spectauclar. Funnily enough I was chatting to a Derby fan at the weekend and I asked him what he thought of Clarke. He said he was a solid championsip player but not good enough for the Prem. Not really sure what to make of him myself, but I do wonder if the Brighton first team is a stretch too far.

That's pretty much what I've said about him in the past - He's that defender that sticks his head in where others wouldn't and makes great last ditch tables but he has to do that because he's got no place whatsoever and his positioning is a bit dodgy. Good on the ball as well....

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
That's pretty much what I've said about him in the past - He's that defender that sticks his head in where others wouldn't and makes great last ditch tables but he has to do that because he's got no place whatsoever and his positioning is a bit dodgy. Good on the ball as well....

Shame he's got no place for them, but I could do with a new last ditch table. Does he sell online?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Need a LCB in the squad, especially if GP ever wants to play three at the back. Roberts not ready (or not good enough?) so clearly needs a season out on loan - League 1 maybe. Matt still has a season left on his contract, so could do a lot worse than having him back home and in the squad. Better than forking out five - ten - fifteen million quid for someone who may or may not be any better.
"Sticks his head in where others wouldn't and makes great last ditch tackles........good on the ball"
- that's not a bad endorsement - and one attribute more than Duffy after all.
Plus, if he does make the step up and do reasonably well in the PL, we can give him a new contract in January and sell him for a better price next summer if Roberts (or Turns or Tsongui after successful loans) is ready.

.....so we'll probably sell him for less than £1M this summer.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Need a LCB in the squad, especially if GP ever wants to play three at the back. Roberts not ready (or not good enough?) so clearly needs a season out on loan - League 1 maybe. Matt still has a season left on his contract, so could do a lot worse than having him back home and in the squad. Better than forking out five - ten - fifteen million quid for someone who may or may not be any better.
- that's not a bad endorsement - and one attribute more than Duffy after all.
Plus, if he does make the step up and do reasonably well in the PL, we can give him a new contract in January and sell him for a better price next summer if Roberts (or Turns or Tsongui after successful loans) is ready.

.....so we'll probably sell him for less than £1M this summer.

Yes, likely to be sold. I dont think he is good enough. Somewhere around £1.5-2m or so seems likely.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
That's pretty much what I've said about him in the past - He's that defender that sticks his head in where others wouldn't and makes great last ditch tackles but he has to do that because... his positioning is a bit dodgy.

The Aaron Wan-Bissaka fallacy. It made Palace £45 million. Man U's analysis couldn't have been much more than 'Wow! look at these videos of his tackles!' It was obvious even then that he was making a lot of the spectacular tackles because he was out of position to begin with.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The Aaron Wan-Bissaka fallacy. It made Palace £45 million. Man U's analysis couldn't have been much more than 'Wow! look at these videos of his tackles!' It was obvious even then that he was making a lot of the spectacular tackles because he was out of position to begin with.

Which tallies nicely with the "Liverpool haven't had a penalty awarded against them in 40-odd matches" statistic - it's because their defenders are actually good, and consistently in the right place to remove danger without undue drama.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here