Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mats Hummels

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Why have Dortmund binned him ?
35 years old. Probably out of contract. Could be a Milner type 12 month contract with a potential further year extension.
Although I think it’s unlikely, maybe he wants a go at the Premier League before retirement and our upper hand would be a German manager.
Still think it won’t happen.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
As a club we have been here a few times before, Wayne Bridge great signing, Vicente unbelievable signing, Kishishev did a great job for a season, Fati no one expected that, Hummels fits right in, yes please.

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Yes…. Chelsea seem like a good club to follow when it comes to transfers and contracts… :laugh:

I do get your general point though, some players are still brilliant in their latter years such as Thiago Silva :thumbsup:
Silva was signed before the current regime came in and was part of the team that won them a champions league, I'd say that was a decent bit of business.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Don't want him.

JPHV is still young and still improving. Don't want to jeopardise his game time.

A CB pecking order of ....

Dunk
Van Hecke
Webby
Igor (if he stays)
Veltman

....... with Wieffer or Baleba stepping in at times during games .......

is enough.

Where I do think we need to look at in terms of recruitment is the u23 team. The conveyor belt doesn't seem to be what it once was.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Don't want him.

JPHV is still young and still improving. Don't want to jeopardise his game time.

Dunk
Van Hecke
Webby
Igor (if he stays)
Veltman

is enough.

Where I do think we need to look at in terms of recruitment is the u23 team. The conveyor belt doesn't seem to be what it once was.

I think we’re looking to bin off Igor

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think we’re looking to bin off Igor
I expect you're right.

The profile I think we should be looking for is a 20 year old, full of promise, happy to play a season in the u23s pending a year on loan, but may be needed as a 5th choice centre back if we have a massive injury crisis

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
A Bundesliga and World Cup winner, 80 odd caps for Germany, quality on the ball, captained Dortmund & Germany, still made 40+ appearances last season despite his age. He was in the Champions League Team of the Season last season FFS, his performance against PSG in the semis was one of the best individual defensive displays I've ever seen. Anyone turning their nose up at this is absolutely on one. We can't rely on Dunk playing every single game anymore, he'd be a perfect addition to take the pressure off him and fill the leadership void at the back when he gets injured/suspended.

Not that there seems to be anything concrete in the rumours anyway.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Depends what you mean by the conveyor belt ?
Ferguson, Odel Offiah, O Mahony, Baker Boitey, Peupion, Duffus, Hinshelwood all had PL/Europe game time last season after starting initially in the u21s.

And then there is the goalkeepers - Beadle, Rushworth.

and some exciting prospects in our u18s (England internationals etc)

and of course Albion sign a lot of teenagers who go straight into the first team squad.

Now not all of those will become a Ben White and its still pretty rare/hard for a u21 to break through- but wondering what you're hoping for here.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Even if there is some truth in it (I have heard there is), I can't see us beating West Ham (wages) or Bologna (Champions League) to him.

He's one of the most experienced CBs in world football and being available on a free, likely means he will not be cheap. I just can't see us being a more attractive option than either of those clubs and then I can't see us convincing him by ripping up our wage structure after so much was made of not changing the structure at the start of the summer. He's coming from a rumoured £140k a week wage at Dortmund. Is he really going to take a minimum 50% pay cut when there is likely to be far more lucrative offers on the table?

Corriere della Sera also reporting that Roma will come in for him if they decide to sell Smalling as well.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Doesn't matter what Schira says, there is something in it.
yes. It sounds like a signing that would really suit us and we need CB cover and more experience in the squad and he would probably work well with Hurzeler ( on basis they're German ! - ha ha) but where - aside from Schira - is there any reporting that we're interested .

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Depends what you mean by the conveyor belt ?
Ferguson, Odel Offiah, O Mahony, Baker Boitey, Peupion, Duffus, Hinshelwood all had PL/Europe game time last season after starting initially in the u21s.

And then there is the goalkeepers - Beadle, Rushworth.

and some exciting prospects in our u18s (England internationals etc)

and of course Albion sign a lot of teenagers who go straight into the first team squad.

Now not all of those will become a Ben White and its still pretty rare/hard for a u21 to break through- but wondering what you're hoping for here.
Ahh, no. I was referring the conveyor belt with respect to centre backs. We used to have loads either on decent loans or really pushing their case in the u23s for senior inclusion. Less so now

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
yes. It sounds like a signing that would really suit us and we need CB cover and more experience in the squad and he would probably work well with Hurzeler ( on basis they're German ! - ha ha) but where - aside from Schira - is there any reporting that we're interested .
Schira is bottom of the gutter with this stuff. Yet to see anyone else credible reporting it

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Not yet!

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Don't want him.

Dunk
Van Hecke
Webby
Igor (if he stays)
Veltman

is enough.

Think the conveyor is slowing a little, there are some very good prospects in that side, just maybe a few years younger, I'd be surprised if we don't see Simmonds around the first team equation soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here