Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match report/ ratings?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Don't let the score deceive you, it was a very poor game, with far too much hoofing and no creativity or finesse from either team. We scored three goals from our three attempts on target, which is a much better return than in recent times.

PIG 6: One decent save in the second half, must take some responsibility for the first goal. I've never seen a keeper look so unlikely to save a penalty.
Bruno 6: Gave us an outlet on the right when going forward, Conway (MOM) gave him a hard time.
Ward 6: Reasonably solid, not his usual buckaneering self when with the ball.
Greer 5: Better than recent matches, loses one for white boots.
Upson 7: Best centre half we've had at the club for 30 years.
Andrews 4: Careless free kick given away for first goal, too many misplaced passes.
Ince 3: Looks bereft of confidence, culpable for first two goals, rightly subbed at HT.
JFC 4: Neat and tidy five yard passes, never did anything constructively.
Lingard 6: Doesn't look a goal threat, but has an eye for a killer ball on the rare occasions he was in possession.
Rod 4: Took goal well, but otherwise about as dangerous as Dale Winton's cock in a lift full of strippers.
Ulloa 5: Given no service, tried to bring others into play when he had the ball. Not sure what he was doing chasing their winger 50 yards into our box for the second goal. FIrst touch poorer than of late.

Subs
Stephens 5: Showed a bit of urgency, but again gave it away too often
March 6: We looked a lot better when he came on, one of the few players who wanted the ball
KLL 5: Mishit corner for the second goal, otherwise only had one run at their full back.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Don't let the score deceive you, it was a very poor game, with far too much hoofing and no creativity or finesse from either team. We scored three goals from our three attempts on target, which is a much better return than in recent times.

PIG 6: One decent save in the second half, must take some responsibility for the first goal. I've never seen a keeper look so unlikely to save a penalty.
Bruno 6: Gave us an outlet on the right when going forward, Conway (MOM) gave him a hard time.
Andrews 4: Careless free kick given away for first goal, too many misplaced passes.
Ince 3: Looks bereft of confidence, culpable for first two goals, rightly subbed at HT.
Lingard 6: Doesn't look a goal threat, but has an eye for a killer ball on the rare occasions he was in possession.
Rod 4: Took goal well, but otherwise about as dangerous as Dale Winton's cock in a lift full of strippers.
Ulloa 5: Given no service, tried to bring others into play when he had the ball. Not sure what he was doing chasing their winger 50 yards into our box for the second goal. FIrst touch poorer than of late.

Subs
March 6: We looked a lot better when he came on, one of the few players who wanted the ball
KLL 5: Mishit corner for the second goal, otherwise only had one run at their full back.

I think you're being unfair on Andrews to say it was a careless foul to give away the free kick. He had to do something desperate to stop the player having a shot at an open goal after TK had gone AWOL.

Do you reckon the corner was a mishit? It was an almost identical delivery to the last one we scored from: Ward against QPR. I think it's an intentional, and effective, tactic.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I went last night and read all the ratings and of course this is about opinions, but to quote a Blackburn coaching staff member, they were very surprised that Stephens and Lua Lua were not playing and they had prepared for that. He also felt they dominated midfield for most of the game and felt that we were only a threat first 20 and last 20 (that is when we put our creative players on), he also stated that he did not feel it was a pen, but felt they should have had one earlier. Interesting that he also thought that we were there for the taking as the system 'looked predicable'. From my view, thought we were very poor, apart from the parts early and late. I would say that Ince had a mare, Andrews is too negative, Spanish Rod is not up to it (although he scored, cant remember him touching the ball again). Leo looks like he is doing work in the wrong places. Time to make some changes please. The facts are there, Ince, Andrews and JFC, does not work, pure and simple, we can all see that, other teams can, just Oscar cant. Also thought that Lingard played very well and looked a class above most players on the pitch. We are about the right position in the league in my view, simply not good enough to get into the play offs

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Subs

Did you think there was a foul on Ince inside the box when he was trying to clear it which the ref ignored a couple of seconds before Andrews gave away the free kick ? I was watching the stream and thought Ince had been chopped down in the frenzy.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
An atrocious game it has to be said, entertaining in that there were 6 goals, but the standard of football at times, particularly from us was bordering on pathetic - simple passes going astray, and passing it around the back in very tight situations which always looked like it was going to bite us.

PIG - 6 - Not sure what he was doing for the 1st Goal - but I put 50% of it on him and 50% on Ince who should have just cleared it. No fault on Andrews, he had no choice but to foul.
Bruno - 6 - Some good touches, some scary moments and a hilarious taking out of Conway on the touchline to get a 2 match ban.
Ward -6.5 - Along with Upson, probably our most dependable player right now.
Greer - 6.5 - Shaky first half, but did push forward second half to drive the team on, and took his goal well.
Upson - 6.5 - As solid as you can be in a defence that conceded 3
Andrews - 5 - Not sure what he gives the team, experience maybe but the trio of him, Ince and JFC gets overrun time and time again
Ince - 4 - Worst game I have seen him play for us, too many mistakes although maybe down to him being injured in the free kick melee for the first goal. He was clearly struggling as he tried to sort the wall, but didnt come off until half time.
JFC - 5 - Just doesnt impose himself enough in the midfield.
Lingard - 6 - Got into some good positions, and a nice cross for the 3rd goal.
Spanish Rod - 5 - Took goal well but looked out of his depth for the rest of the game.
Ulloa - 5.5 - Should have got his head on a great cross near the end, not as good as usual with his hold up play - but I don't blame him for the 2nd goal, someone else should have been chasing down their left back (D Rod I suspect) not the man from Argentina.

Subs:
Stephens (MOM) - 6.5 - Started shakily but grew into it in the 2nd half and probably did as much as anyone (not just the goal) to bring us back into it by driving us forward and shades the MOM because of making a difference.
March - 6 - Some good touches and a great byline cut back near the end which someone should have been on the end of. His shot at the death was begging for the top corner to complete the comeback but wasnt to be.
Lua Lua - 5.5 - Good corner (I think he meant it, same as the Ward goal a few weeks back) but nothing much else of note.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yet another bizarre game where we start by completely dominating Blackburn, take a deserved lead, looked worthy of extending our lead but then concede two unnecessary goals from silly defensive errors. We then spend 30 minutes looking all at sea until the subs give us some fresh spark and we snatch a well earned point when had it looked as if we would just throw in the towel.

OK, one point isn't really what we needed from our game in hand but that rousing finish by the Albion felt like a victory - and made the long drive home a heck of a lot more bearable!

My player ratings are all 5's except for:

TK: 7 - a couple of errors but some important saves.

Ward and Upson both 6's - more assured than their defensive colleagues (not difficult)

Bruno: 4. Conway gave him a hard time plus it didn't help when he went AWOL at times. Blackburn worked out that we are vulnerable down our right flank and ganged up on Bruno Some other Refs might have issued more than one yellow card.

Greer: 7, despite more scary moments unnecessarily faffing around at the back he earns an honourable mention because he scored and did push upfield more than we are used to. Looked delighted to get a goal against one of his old clubs and redeem himself after last week.

Andrews: 4 - typical performance with good work overshadowed by too many shocking errors, which attracted stick from both sets of supporters.

Lingard: 7 and my MoM for his all round effort. Does tend to play a tad deep and could threaten the goal more often but is still a handful for defenders.

Ulloa: 6 - looked less petulant and showed some nice touches but never really threatened.

D-Rod: - 6. another peripheral performance but did score a decent goal, credit to him for taking a first time shot rather than checking back and laying the ball off as we often seem to do. Not surprised when he was replaced by March.

Subs:

March: 6, gave us badly needed penetration into their 'box. Would like to see him start ahead of D-Rod.

Stephens: 6, looked a bit rusty but easily eclipsed JFC and ought to get a decent run in the team.

KLL: 6, not one of his best cameos but did enough to cause them a problem or two.

So all fives, except the 12 players you gave different ratings to?

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
This isn't meant ant as a dig at anyone - far from it - but it's both interesting and and worrying from the teams perspective that in a match where we score 3 goals, the attacking players still largely failed to rate higher than the defensive players.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
This isn't meant ant as a dig at anyone - far from it - but it's both interesting and and worrying from the teams perspective that in a match where we score 3 goals, the attacking players still largely failed to rate higher than the defensive players.

I am much more concerned that our "one of the best defences in the division"has shipped so may goals recently. No major changes in personnel but the comment "defensive error/ sloppy defending " has appeared a few times on match reports.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Do not disagree with article, the old fashioned full back role has changed.good article.
Although has cost us plenty of goals.
Slightly strong saying i am wrong.
Even when caldes played (who i like) goals were conceded too easier from that flank.
Watford away is another example a goal conceded from that berth.

Yeah the "you're wrong" was a bit silly.

I was just getting a bit uppity at the Bruno bashing on the other thread. And it was late.

It looks to me like Bruno gets criticized by fans as they don't get what he's been instructed to do. As per that article, and a whole load of other ones on the web,the modern fullback in a 4-3-3 is expected to get forward and provide width.

It's tough e.g. he gets in the box with mad trickery and crosses the ball for Ulloa, then gets hammered for not being there to cover a counter attack.

As for goals against. Other teams will clearly look to exploit the tactics we use. They can see that we get our fullbacks as high up the pitch as possible, so they look to focus their attacking in that area.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Averages - 5 Votes

Starters
Upson 6.70
Greer 6.10
Ward 6.10
Lingard 6.00
Ulloa 5.90
Kuszczak 5.80