Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Massage guns - recommendations, please...

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
I have a similar product not that brand and it’s really good
I do a lot of endurance swimming so really useful for shoulders and arms along with proper warm downs and stretches which as mentioned are vital and the gun alone probably wouldn’t do the trick

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
After some research I bought a Mebak 3 - about £100. It works, seems good, I've nothing to compare it to but Which or something similar thought it was the best overall one. For quads and IT band (outside of your thighs) I don't think you can beat a foam roller but have heard this might cause varicose veins if you use it on your calves (not sure about evidence for this but I would probably avoid foam roller on the calves until I see clear evidence it can't cause varicose veins). Agree loads of stretching is important.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Hamstrings, quads, and most especially CALVES.
Have you had a proper sports massage? When I went back to playing football after a few years out, I had this.

It is incredibly painful at times as the calf muscles are very sensitive but it worked really well to loosen them off.

Once they are loose, my physio said a foam roller is a good way to keep them that way.

Having said all that, I’m currently recovering from surgery including a medial gastrocnemius head release as my calf muscle had to too tight over the years and it was causing problems with my foot.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No!

My calves and hammies are sore after playing cricket, or any kind of running exercise, tbh.

For the last 6 months or so, I have mostly been standing at work (as I got one of those WOKEY adjustable desks). It has helped with the bad-posture-related back pain, but has added to the calf soreness.
Get up and down a ladder a few times a day and see how your calves feel. Toughen up man. I bet you moisturise .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Get up and down a ladder a few times a day and see how your calves feel. Toughen up man. I bet you moisturise .
I’ll have you know I am a PROPER man @Questions I even drive a FORKLIFT some days.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I have issues with calves/hamstrings and along with a daily routine of stretching excercises use one of those ‘club’ shaped massagers……along with a hot water bottle to warm the muscle up

Similar to this

Attachments

• IMG_2136.jpeg
    IMG_2136.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They are a gimmick.

Stretch your calves. Do it regularly. Warm them up first. Then stretch, stretch, stretch.

It’s the only thing that really works.
I disagree. My physio actually recommended I use one.

It shouldn't replace stretching but it's good to use alongside a stretching routine.

Spending a fortune on a Theragun is a gimmick. The cheap versions are just as good.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Have you had a proper sports massage? When I went back to playing football after a few years out, I had this.

It is incredibly painful at times as the calf muscles are very sensitive but it worked really well to loosen them off.

Once they are loose, my physio said a foam roller is a good way to keep them that way.

Having said all that, I’m currently recovering from surgery including a medial gastrocnemius head release as my calf muscle had to too tight over the years and it was causing problems with my foot.
I do use a foam roller - largely for my back and shoulders (standing against a wall).

I've not found a good way to get it to do the job on my calf muscles though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've used a Thumper mini Pro for the last 5 years (no sniggering at the back please). Its excellent for my back and neck. https://www.thumpermassager.uk/massagers/mini-pro/
My Chiropractor uses the same brand so comes highly recommended and guaranteed to last a long time. Thumper even do massagers for horses!
Thanks.

That does look good, but isn't quite what I am after (mostly because it is a mains powered job).

I'd want a rechargeable device so I can lob it in my cricket bag.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
My orthopaedic consultant said that he finds men in the 40 to 50 age group often have calf issues which then create problems with the feet such as plantar problems. These are usually men who play a lot of sport and cycling which builds up the calf muscle and
I do use a foam roller - largely for my back and shoulders (standing against a wall).

I've not found a good way to get it to do the job on my calf muscles though.
https://www.sports-injury-physio.com/post/foam-roll-calves - might help but I would check with your own physio first

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here