Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin Toal at The AMEX

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
Apparently he's a well know Tenor and will be singing a selection of footy related songs prior to the Spurs game.
What I want to know is will he be singing "We're F***king brilliant"!!
:lolol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Hopefully he'll be singing some anti-Tottenscum Hotspunk songs before storming off the pitch, booting Harold Redknapp in the bollox en route.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Apparently he is going to sing Abide With Me. :facepalm: I know the chap that organised this is not from around these parts, GOSBTS would mean more to most that support the stripes. :wrong:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I want him to sing Three Lions and World in Motion

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Star to perform at the Amex

Martin Toal, more famously known as 'England's Winning Tenor', will be performing prior to the Amex Stadium's official opening game against Tottenham Hotspur on 30th July.

He will be singing a number of football-related songs in the build-up to kick-off, plus an emotive rendition of Abide With Me, alongside the Farnborough Concert Band of the Royal British Legion, as we reflect on those we have loved and lost on the long road to Falmer.

Martin has sung at all of the UK's major sporting venues and for the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson and Fabio Capello, but has earned the title of England's Winning Tenor given that the England football team has not lost or conceded a goal on the six occasions he has sung the national anthem in front of them!

In September 2007, in front of 90,000 people and a TV audience of millions, Martin had the honour of singing prior to the first competitive England game at the new Wembley - versus Israel - and he will now be the first to sing at the American Express Community Stadium.

Martin told seagulls.co.uk, "I was performing at the Ryman League Dinner at the Brighton Metropole when Ken Brown saw me perform. He invited me to sing at the opening game at the Amex Stadium and I was only too happy to accept his invitation.

"To sing Abide With Me will be a poignant moment as there will be many Brighton fans who have sadly passed away in the years since the Goldstone Ground closed, so it will be important to remember them all.

"The opening game will be for the fans - it's a time of celebration and reflection and I'll be proud to play my part."

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Mmmmm Not sure about this.

I have been fantasizing about my first match at the amex for a few months now and whether it be in the shower, driving home or on the loo it has never included a tenor. It has always been crowd/atmosphere building naturally with a brass band on the pitch climaxing with GOSBTS, remembering the fans we have lost together and then a match with a home atmosphere the likes we have never seen before. Now I'm worried I'm just gonna wish the speakers were not so loud on the P.A. system. Hope I'm Wrong!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Not surprised to see Ken Brown booked him, clueless.

As others have said, why do we want some tenor we've never heard of singing Abide With Me? That's for the cup final isn't it?

I'm sure the band will still belt out GOSBTS but not quite what I imagined I must confess.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have sung GOSBTS loads of times, although it will sound really good from a decent tenor/baritone. This guy is from the new breed of Russel Watson type baritones ( he says snobbishly)

ada4bha

Jan 27, 2010
If he is singing a number of songs, maybe GOSBTS will be one of them ... maybe pop the words on the screens so the JCLs can sing along too ...

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
sweet jesus who booked this? terrible terrible decision.

it should, obviously, be a local marching band performing sussex by the sea and that's all that's required.

we DON'T WANT somebody singing abide with me at the opening of the amex.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Actually, as a moment to think of all those who haven't lived to see the opening of the Amex, my dad among them, I think it will be a rather emotional moment. And more suited to this occasion than the opening league fixture, which should be more focussed on the football.

Perhaps the club will find a way to put their names up on the big screens, or in the programme?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Actually, as a moment to think of all those who haven't lived to see the opening of the Amex, my dad among them, I think it will be a rather emotional moment. And more suited to this occasion than the opening league fixture, which should be more focussed on the football.

Perhaps the club will find a way to put their names up on the big screens, or in the programme?

And you have any degree of confidence in the club organising this?

Now I know why like so many others I am giving this game a miss and keeping Doncaster special. I wonder how many people on NSC had even heard of this guy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here