Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin Jol To Be Spurs Legend

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
...or another Christian Gross. I wonder if he travels by tube to the games?

Still, at least he remembers our war dead...

sfnfro07.jpg

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
A funny story about Gross (by John Scales):

En-Gross-ed In Team Talks

In the past month, following England’s win in Liechtenstein, the word ‘passion’ has been brought up regularly regarding the way a manager gets his team motivated for a game. Well anyone who played for Spurs between 1997-98 will tell you that Christian Gross tops the list of managers with the weirdest motivational techniques.

Gross raised suspicion from the outset when he famously arrived at White Hart Lane waving around his tube ticket and saying that he was “so happy to be here”. Obviously Christian’s English wasn’t perfect and we didn’t expect it to be, but we also didn’t expect to be in the dressing room before big games listening to him saying, “Today, I need to feel you. You need to be strong, but I must feel you.” I can still remember all the players looking around at each other in hysterics.

He was also famous for his use of phrases, classics like “Today, you must not throw in the white cloth”, instead of ‘white flag’ and “Today, is Tottenham weather. Today is very bright and sunny, this is Tottenham weather.”

Gross also had the strangest game-plan I had ever seen. Before the game had even started he would tell us that he would make changes on 60 minutes. Well, we had no idea how the first 60 minutes would go so how did he know that he should bring on such and such on the hour? But sure enough when 60 minutes came, whether we were two down or three up, he would be there making his changes, which you can imagine was odd at times – he was a funny man.

Buckingham

Feb 23, 2004
Brighton
I have always had an irrational dislike of Spurs, so with a bit of luck, the ultimate Christian Gross who will finally get them relegated:lolol:

Last edited:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Buckingham said:
I have always had an irrational dislike of Spurs, so with a bit of luck, the ultimate Christian Gross who will finally get them relegated:lolol:

I'll second that!

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
GUNTER said:
...or another Christian Gross. I wonder if he travels by tube to the games?

Still, at least he remembers our war dead...

sfnfro07.jpg

is it me or is that picture Barry Evans ???

I thought he died when Janine pushed him down that hill :p

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
GUNTER said:
Gross also had the strangest game-plan I had ever seen. Before the game had even started he would tell us that he would make changes on 60 minutes. Well, we had no idea how the first 60 minutes would go so how did he know that he should bring on such and such on the hour? But sure enough when 60 minutes came, whether we were two down or three up, he would be there making his changes, which you can imagine was odd at times – he was a funny man.

I ALWAYS do that on Championship Manager.

Pull off the worst player after 60 minutes regardless of scoreline.

It certainly worked in CM3, although not quite as effective in CM4 or FM5.

Maybe Gross was a CM player :lolol:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I dont think any manager will do a job at this shambles of a club!!

There is a director of football saying "Im in charge, but he is the manager!" behind him is Pleat lurking about, the director at football appoints a new manager and then says "I'm in charge!"

WHAT THE F***!!!

until these people are got rid of, Including Pleat, they will go nowhere!! Why on earth do you think O'Neil doesn't want the job!

:shootself

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Northstander said:
I dont think any manager will do a job at this shambles of a club!!

There is a director of football saying "Im in charge, but he is the manager!" behind him is Pleat lurking about, the director at football appoints a new manager and then says "I'm in charge!"

WHAT THE F***!!!

until these people are got rid of, Including Pleat, they will go nowhere!! Why on earth do you think O'Neil doesn't want the job!

:shootself
Absolutely right.
Get this. Arnesen is the "Sporting Director" at Spurs, who's mandate is to select the players the club needs, and to get rid of the ones the club doesn't. Yesterday Arnesen was quoted as saying:

"I am responsible for Martin Jol. We will talk about things together, though I have the last word. If I like a player and the coach does not, I will convince him it is the right man".

This just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I look forward to sitting back and watching it all unfold.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
He is still lurkin there, as is Alan Sugar whom I have been told by a spurs fan I know, he didnt want Santini in the first place.

How much truth is in this I dont know, but I do know the club is in a complete shambles from the top right down.

Allegedly carrick went up to Santini, shook his hand saying "Hi I am Michael carrick!"

:nono: dear oh dear! :nono:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The Northstander said:
He is still lurkin there, as is Alan Sugar whom I have been told by a spurs fan I know, he didnt want Santini in the first place.

How much truth is in this I dont know, but I do know the club is in a complete shambles from the top right down.

Allegedly carrick went up to Santini, shook his hand saying "Hi I am Michael carrick!"

:nono: dear oh dear! :nono:

Pleat parted company in the summer, Arnesen took his job.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Fair enuff, but he is doing excatly what Pleat did then I would imagine! Same people just different faces!

Anyhow, not my problem as I support Brighton!

:lolol:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The Northstander said:
Why on earth do you think O'Neil doesn't want the job!

I think those people touting O'Neil for the Spurs job had a seriously over inflated opinion of the club. Only a top job would lure him back to England.
**Oxymoron moment**
Apart from which I think most people also have an over inflated opinion of O'Neil

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Robert Lester Zamora said:
I ALWAYS do that on Championship Manager.

Pull off the worst player after 60 minutes regardless of scoreline.

It certainly worked in CM3, although not quite as effective in CM4 or FM5.

Maybe Gross was a CM player :lolol:

Me 2..... if we're winning weakest player off at 60 mins and , two more around 75 if they're tiring... seemed to work well..... can I manage Weymouth now?:lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here