Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martial Arts

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Perry Milkins said:
What you fail to mention is that it was not a Martial Art belt and you stole it from Monica Smithers as you rather liked the hummingbird design picked out in turquoise.

:drink:

Who was Monica Smithers ?? was that the Girl who you went out with from the Pub ?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Artois said:
Orange belt in Karate :wave:

Really?

Stay clear of Artois. He's a toughy!

:lolol:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
got to brown belt kick boxing (but gave up 3 years ago) boxed at cheetahs gym for a while to but gave that up 3 years ago. All coz i met my gf 3 yrs ago. :(

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Perry Milkins said:
Hardly narrows things down does it!

Ok, The Pub by Portslade Station Qeuun Vic I think ?

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
brighton_b0y said:
got to brown belt kick boxing (but gave up 3 years ago) boxed at cheetahs gym for a while to but gave that up 3 years ago. All coz i met my gf 3 yrs ago. :(

You gave up at brown?? What a waste of time that was!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Tae Kwon Do red belt. Will be going for 1st Dan Black Belt next year.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
readingstockport said:
No idea what they're like as a style but not impressed with their sales/rip off tactics.

2nd Dan karate, also graded in Kenjitsu, Iaijitsu and Aikdo

In fact been teaching for the last 8 years at least.

:wave:

Poof.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
GKR - Go Kan Ryu. No better and no worse than many others. Everyone tries to make a name for themselves in the MA, which is why a lot of people lose interest. There are lots of egos in the MA world which is why we get loads of splinter groups, styles, and bad-mouthing going on. As soon as you start to bring in membership fees, then instructors are competing to make money. If in doubt, phone around some and ask them for their opinion about another club or style in the area!

Personally, my history covers Kempo, JJ, and lots of pressure point work (hands and kubaton). Then it gets a bit fuzzy and draws on other styles from other countries. I no longer follow any particular school, although I train with people who study variations from Kung Fu, Karate, Kickboxing and BJJ. My kids study Karate (with SAMA, who are excellent as far as I am concerned), Kickboxing, BJJ and my eldest has just dropped Kung Fu at purple sash because of the money-grabbing attitude of the instructor, and is merging styles.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
magoo said:
You gave up at brown?? What a waste of time that was!
whats a belt anyway, as long as you can handle yourself if need be. Plus everytime i did a grading i would stay on till black anyway. Means nothing now anyway, lost all my flexabilty anyway.

quote from karate kid 1 'a belt is only good for holding up trousers' or something like that :dunce:

brighton_b0y said:
whats a belt anyway, as long as you can handle yourself if need be. Plus everytime i did a grading i would stay on till black anyway. Means nothing now anyway, lost all my flexabilty anyway.

quote from karate kid 1 'a belt is only good for holding up trousers' or something like that :dunce:

Belts are a purely western invention. We in the west always want to 'win' at things or have something to show for our efforts.

The 'eastern' attitude is somewhat different.

And hampshire, not really having a pop at gkr, as I said I have no idea of their technical ability. I do have worries about any style that will put a black striped belt on someone who has only been training as little as 6 months and put him/her in charge of a class.

An I do know that happens I have a student who left gkr precisely because that is who they put in charge of his class.

But he is very complimentary towards his original sensei and rates him highly.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
readingstockport said:
And hampshire, not really having a pop at gkr, as I said I have no idea of their technical ability. I do have worries about any style that will put a black striped belt on someone who has only been training as little as 6 months and put him/her in charge of a class.

An I do know that happens I have a student who left gkr precisely because that is who they put in charge of his class.

This happens a lot - especially when a "non-respected" black belt moves up to instructor level. Then again, part of gaining the black belt should involve instructing - but as we know, some people are not instructors, no matter how much they try!

My eldest was at a Kung Fu class (no names, no pack-drill) where the instructor continually turned up late and was concerned only with his lap-dog black belts and their latest visually entertaining but totally useless moves - the lower belts were left to train each other or amuse themselves, which seemed to consist of an ADHD student wielding a staff unsupervised, and non-sashes leaning around the walls of the hall. Any girls that turned up were targetted by the black-belts for "special training", ignoring those that didn't have tits but had been coming for months....! On top of that, he expected payment during school holidays - when I found out that he didn't actually hire the hall! Whenever a student phoned in sick, his first comment was "well, you still need to pay" - not once did he ask what the problem was. Crap, and not a good investment. We get a better return when I hire a squash court and take the pads in for some work with both kids and their mates!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here