Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marseille

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
My son and I are flying out Tuesday lunchtime (BA from Heathrow). Flying back Friday evening. Got a nice little AirBnB in the old Port.

Never been to Marseille before so hopefully a nice little break to go with our first ever away game in Europe.

So excited!
Spent 4 very enjoyable days there in June.
As mentioned before in the thread, the seaside village of Cassis is a lovely destination for a half day out as is the island of Frioul a half hour ferry ride away.
Food in Marseille is fantastic - the best I’ve eaten in Southern France , this little seafood restaurant ; https://tinyurl.com/Down-At-The-Quay being the pick of the bunch.
Closed on Tuesdays & Wednesdays so head there for lunch on Thursday or Friday.
There’s no menu it’s just whatever’s written on the blackboard.

IMG_4215.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
As mentioned before in the thread, the seaside village of Cassis is a lovely destination for a half day out as is the island of Frioul a half hour ferry ride away.
Food in Marseille fantastic - the best I’ve eaten in Southern France , this little seafood restaurant ; https://tinyurl.com/Down-At-The-Quay being the pick of the bunch.

View attachment 165966
Great, big help.

This is the kind of thing I have to show my Mrs as she’s coming with me and I’ve told her it’s lovely in the south of France, food’s fantastic etc.

She’s asked already, “there’s not gonna be any trouble is there.”

“Nooooooo, look at this lovely menu”

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Just FYI the Old Port was somewhere Spurs fans were told to avoid.
Absolute load of bollocks !
The Vieux Port is right at the heart of the tourist district which then leads onto the gentrified wharf area - full of new museums and modern bars & restaurants with the quaint old narrow streets of the Le Panier tucked in behind it.
Don’t let the scaremongers who most likely have never set foot in Marseille put you off - you’ll be missing out on a wonderful experience.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Vieux Port is right at the heart of the tourist district which then leads onto the gentrified wharf area - full of new museums and modern bars & restaurants with the quaint old narrow streets of the Le Panier tucked in behind it.
Don’t let the scaremongers who most likely have never set foot in Marseille put you off - you’ll be missing out on a wonderful experience.
Maybe it was a bluff from the Spurs hierarchy to ensure their fans didn’t embarrass the club with uncouth behaviour in a nice area?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Seagull Travel seem very quiet. I was hoping to book Marseille with them, either flight or train for a few days.
Does anyone know if they have any plans. Would rather this game with an organised group.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Seagull Travel seem very quiet. I was hoping to book Marseille with them, either flight or train for a few days.
Does anyone know if they have any plans. Would rather this game with an organised group.
They have posted on Twitter pretty much non stop since Friday when the dates were confirmed.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
They have posted on Twitter pretty much non stop since Friday when the dates were confirmed.

Don't do Twitter. email and facebook are what I use to keep up to date with them along with their web site.
Holding off booking anything yet as Marseille is my only worry regarding trouble and would prefer an organised trip.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Coach to Marseille ? Blimey.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Great, big help.

This is the kind of thing I have to show my Mrs as she’s coming with me and I’ve told her it’s lovely in the south of France, food’s fantastic etc.

She’s asked already, “there’s not gonna be any trouble is there.”

“Nooooooo, look at this lovely menu”
Marseille is totally different to the rest of the south of France .

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Marseille is totally different to the rest of the south of France .
I know, I’ve been there. The wife hasn’t. I’m trying to put her mind at rest.

Stumpy Tim

On the 6am flight to Nice from Gatwick, and 12.02 train to Marseille. Staying in some hotel before heading back to Nice the following morning. Cheeky afternoon in Nice before the late flight home. Can't wait for this one!

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Food in Marseille is fantastic - the best I’ve eaten in Southern France , this little seafood restaurant ; https://tinyurl.com/Down-At-The-Quay being the pick of the bunch.

View attachment 165966
Thanks for this! Really good advice!

Aim to have a fairly cultured couple of days out there before the match. Will probably help that I’ve given up the booze for a year.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Question: I know there was previously a discussion thread on here for Ajax, but would you like me to create a duplicate of this thread for our Dutch opponents?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Booked flights from/to Bristol. We are making holiday of it and hiring a car for a Provence tour. Doubt too many supporters also want to fly out on 27th Sept. Plenty of availability on 7/10 return.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We’re obviously going to need restaurant recommendations, tips for wines etc. I know the late great Anthony Bourdain was a fan of Marseille; I’ll do some research.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I stayed in Le Panier for a few weeks in the 90's. It was a pretty tough area although charming. I was in a meeting one day and a chap went into the building next to ours and shot someone brazenly in broad daylight in the room joining onto ours. The women in my group were told by locals always to have a chaperone and it was not great after dark. A lot can change in 30 years though!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“Côte d'Azur is famous for its rosé wines, sunshine and glamour.”

Brighton Boys, we are here!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here