Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marks out of 10 for this season

Marks out of 10 for this season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
So with the season now finished - in your honest opinion what score out of 10 would you give the side?

For me the plusses are:

Staying up
Matching last seasons points tally
Matching last seasons number of wins
Better defence
Keeping White
Bissouma, Sanchez, Dunk, Webster, Burn, Veltman all doing well
Style of play much better

The negatives

For the 4th season on the trot - we are a bottom 6 side
Lack of wins - 9 wins for the 4th season on the trot
Poor vision from the club in not replacing Murray with a decent centre forward
Connolly, Ali J, Tau, Andone all need to go

I will give this season 6/10

I'd agree with that. 6/10 is a fair assessment. Some great results: Liverpool, City, beating Leeds twice. Some gash; WBA, Sheffield Utd.

Clearly need a striker if we're to move forward and be comfortably mid table next season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bollocks.

They could have been far better, and racked up 10 more points each, and we’d still have been more than safe.

In fact if they HAD got 10 more points each, where do you think those 30 points would have come from? They’d have come from Newcastle, Burnley, Palace, etc, and as a result we’d have finished HIGHER in the table.

We stayed up because WE were more then good enough to do so. We earned 41 points - other teams being shit had **** all to do with it.

Indeed. The whole "stayed up just because x teams were worse" thing is logically flawed at so many different levels.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
So with the season now finished - in your honest opinion what score out of 10 would you give the side?

For me the plusses are:

Staying up
Matching last seasons points tally
Matching last seasons number of wins
Better defence
Keeping White
Bissouma, Sanchez, Dunk, Webster, Burn, Veltman all doing well
Style of play much better

The negatives

For the 4th season on the trot - we are a bottom 6 side
Lack of wins - 9 wins for the 4th season on the trot
Poor vision from the club in not replacing Murray with a decent centre forward
Connolly, Ali J, Tau, Andone all need to go

I will give this season 6/10
It's a 7.5 for me!! Inconsistent for sure, but some truly memorable wins against top teams. Why the quick judgement against Tau? I've barely seen him play and so can't really make a call yet - maybe they are working to get him to increase bulk and strength for next season.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
6 for me.

We stayed up, but if we don’t score more goals soon we’ll come a cropper. I’m not a Maupay fan.....

The defence was very good but we don’t seem to be getting anywhere in terms of final position. And if we don’t replace Bissouma we’re in trouble - his performance against City was something else....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I'd give us 5/10. I really don't think you can go much higher because ultimately we've finished on the same number of points and a place lower than last season. A season has to be judged as a season as a whole.

Positives
We've played better football
We've taken some of the biggest result in our history (City H, Liverpool A)
The development of youth and how the likes of Sanchez and White have looked since coming in
The above meaning we've been able to move on some of the older players such as Stephens and Duffy without seeing a drop-off in quality
We turned around a perilous looking position at New Year
We kicked Leeds' arse twice. Not that relevant to the season but I enjoyed it.

Negatives
We failed to beat any of the bottom 4 in 8 games this season
Once again we've been fortunate there's been three woeful teams taking up the relegation places
No quality, lead striker (still) - Maupay and Welbeck have done OK but needed support
Continually failing to manage a game through when winning toward the end (Palace, Wolves, Leicester in the cup etc.)

That's generally how a league table works.. Teams above you are better and teams below you are worse.. :shrug:

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
5 for sure for me. Progress in some areas offset by steps backward in others. Better in defence, worse up front. Better against better teams, much worse against poorer sides. All in all we are exactly where we were last year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
8 for me. Stayed up comfortably, competitive in virtually every game and some great wins, created loads of chances, very good defensively and all whilst missing our first choice wingbacks for the majority of the season. Moder looks excellent, Sanchez has been brilliant and Dunk, Webster and White make a great unit in the centre of defence.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Indeed. The whole "stayed up just because x teams were worse" thing is logically flawed at so many different levels.

City only won the league as 19 other teams were worse, that is a FACT!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

We’ve competed well in most games.

Defence was 2nd best in the EPL this year.

Keeper problem brilliantly fixed.

With the luck we’ve had, this should have been a relegation year but we survived.

With the luck reversed for next season, it’ll surely be our best ever. Really looking forward to it already.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That's generally how a league table works.. Teams above you are better and teams below you are worse.. :shrug:

Nope, their results are better / worse. We didn’t become a net 10 place better team than Sheffield United over the course of last summer, their results this season were atrocious compared to the season before.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
5 for sure for me. Progress in some areas offset by steps backward in others. Better in defence, worse up front. Better against better teams, much worse against poorer sides. All in all we are exactly where we were last year.

I've gone for a 7, but with much the same reasoning.

At the end of the day l think we will always be regarded by many of the top established sides, as 'Little Old Brighton', and by simply retaining our Premier League place, has to be seen as something of a triumph.

Hopefully, little by little, by taking baby steps, we can inch our way a bit higher up the table in the coming seasons. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
As 6 is classed as average, I can’t believe we have been average. I think 7 would also be a tad generous due to the fact we couldn’t beat any of those below us, and we finished below the most anti football playing side in the division.
We have played some of the best football I have seen us play at times, but the finishing has been woeful, and some of our final 3rd play has been too slow and predictable.
Somewhere in between 6-7 is how I view our season. Room for improvement and I’m optimistic with a goalscorer we will finish higher next season.
Keep Biss and we could easily finish top half.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Some very poor results against the very few teams worse than us.

Beating a ten man Citeh and a couple of other good results is not enough to redeem a poor (but not disasterous) season.

Unless things improve quickly we will go down - if not next year then in a couple of years. Flirt with tbe bottom three for long enough, and eventually you become one of them.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
5/10 for me. Defence much more solid but attacking wise needs midfield and striker improvement. No good the defence holding out if we are misfiring at the other end

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I greatly admire your misplaced optimism. Prepare to be disappointed.

TB won’t sell cheaply and I’m not sure offers will reach the required valuation, hence Ben White staying last season.
I’m hopeful [emoji6]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here