Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marks and Spencer insult war dead

Call me old fashioned, but I observe a 1 minute silence and have my poppy above my heart on rememberance Sunday only! It strikes me now that it has all lost its meaning to some as government interference made us now observe 2 minutes silence and wear poppies all through November!

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Well this is bollocks. I work there, music stopped, no transactions took place, and I didn't hear a single sound in that two minutes.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Where I work, the comms operators do attempt, where possible, to maintain radio silence for the two minutes each year.

Some downright disrespectful individual only went and got beaten up at 1059am today though, and called 999, so that went out the window. How selfish.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Where I work, the comms operators do attempt, where possible, to maintain radio silence for the two minutes each year.

Some downright disrespectful individual only went and got beaten up at 1059am today though, and called 999, so that went out the window. How selfish.

Why didn't they switch the on the answering machine for a few minutes ???

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why didn't they switch the on the answering machine for a few minutes ???

Yeah, that would work.

Or we could just tell the public not to get stabbed, burgled or crash their cars for the two minutes. It's just about educating people, really, isn't it?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stop talking out of your arse. No one has ever banned Christmas in this country.

My brother lives in Feltham Middlesex and the school that his granddaughter goes to have banned Christmas parties and nativity plays etc because it upsets the non Christians, Sikhs Hindus and Muslims, whose children attend the same school, that is indisputable fact.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah, that would work.

Or we could just tell the public not to get stabbed, burgled or crash their cars for the two minutes. It's just about educating people, really, isn't it?

novel, are you planning to run for the PCC?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm sure you're right. But a couple of minutes' quiet reflection every year is an inadequate response to the issues that we should be thinking about in connection with the Falklands, Iraq and Afghanistan. I have a feeling that the establishment much prefers us to bottle up our response to these recent conflicts into a carefully orchestrated two minutes every November.

Trouble is we are not actually allowed any discussion about these conflicts. If anyone starts on the acusations of disrespecting our boys start flying about. A definate win for the establishment.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
novel, are you planning to run for the PCC?

Better still get the scumbag criminals who are content to ignore the Rembrance to do a bit of national service so they do some good, rather than be a plague on our society. Might reduce crime and give them a more balanced view of the world. In turn reduce demand on our increasingly overstretched and dwindling emergency services too. Everyone wins.

By national service I don't mean killing johnny foreigner in some remote part of the world but something positive like peacekeeping and relief work.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My brother lives in Feltham Middlesex and the school that his granddaughter goes to have banned Christmas parties and nativity plays etc because it upsets the non Christians, Sikhs Hindus and Muslims, whose children attend the same school, that is indisputable fact.

Do you have indisputable proof?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes her mother was told it by her teachers that these events wont be happening this year. A similar thing happened about 5 years ago but the next year it was back to normal.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes her mother was told it by her teachers that these events wont be happening this year. A similar thing happened about 5 years ago but the next year it was back to normal.

So why this year and five years ago and not other years?. Are 2012 and 2007 significant years? Something doesn't ring true with this story.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Have you noticed how so many people just carry on shopping too? Oblivious to those around them who have solemnly stopped, closed their eyes and observed the silence? I spent a good few minutes telling people to be quiet and show some respect in Tescos this morning. Every little helps.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Just name the school bensgrandad. Then there will be 'undisputable truth'...my brothers, neighbours, dog walkers, wifes friends, grocer said...sought of suggests your story is bollocks.
These stories usually are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here