Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marina development gets the go-ahead

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Another place where you will be able to see that Falmer eyesore from. :angry: :jester:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
That will certainly be called in for enquiry. After all, there are rows and rows of fine regency buildings overlooking the Marina.

If it does get approval, I hope the public can go up the tower though!

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
There is no asthetic beauty at the marina at all. It's all been chucked together, all a mishmash of architectural types.

Compare Brighton marina to, say, Benalmadena marina in Spain (on the Costa Del Sol near Malaga) and absolutely beautiful to look at. If only Brighton had taken note. Just found out it's been twice voted the worlds best marina too.
marina.jpg

Our marina at Brighton is ugly in comparison. What a missed opportunity.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm with Brovian on this: if it pisses off Selma Montford and her BANANA cronies then I'm all for it.

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
That's very slinky. Like it a lot.

johnnyjetlag

Jul 26, 2004
Seems this has been turned down. Here's The Argus:

"Campaigners celebrated on Saturday after councillors threw out the planning application for 420ft skyscraper.

The tower, dubbed the Roaring Forties, was to be the centrepiece of a £265 million development dominating Brighton Marina and would have been the tallest building in Sussex.

But Brighton and Hove City Council's planning committee agreed on Friday the development, which would have included ten smaller buildings, would be too big, generate too much traffic and turn the marina into "Croydon-by-Sea".

The decision will come as a shock to the applicants, Brunswick Developments, because the plan was recommended for approval by the council's planning officials. "

:(

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Why cant we build the stadium there?

I think the whole thing should be called in again. After all the Marina was not on the list of alternative sites.

D

Deleted User X18H

I don't like the look of this at all........this was a small fishing villlage when I was growing up in the 1980's

.........................I remember the days when the fair bigotted folks of Rottingdean opposed the building of the Marina and ensured many years later, that when it was finally built, it was to a smaller scale that did not obstruct their views.

That had the result of making the Marina commercially unviable for long time.:albion:

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
You better believe it pisses the Regency Society off. A public convience being constructed near the Level would outrage them. This is the same group who complain about Christmas lights and lamp-posts.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Good, it looked awful and has no real architectural merit apart from sqeazing in as many mini-homes as possible.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I wonder if Meridian and South Today will give this the 200 hours coverage that they gave to the Spinnaker Tower...hmmm...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here