Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Margaret Thatcher Statue

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
True enough, though Argentina had weeks in which it could have negotiated. Instead, they just ignored UN Security Council Resolution 502 which among other things demanded the withdrawal of all Argentine troops from the Falklands, pending negotiations through the UN. Sadly for all the young Argentine conscripts, most of whom didn't want to be there anyway, Galtieri wasn't having anything to do with UN resolutions.

I agree.

As, no doubt ,you will agree with me that Mr Tony correctly invaded Iraq.

Edit: the only thing wrong with the Falklands war was it started weeks late: the silly old bitch refused to take action until the 25th hour, because she though the soppy Argie fascist was her ally in the war against communism :shrug:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Negotiating my a**e! What happened was that Sir John Nott-a-very-good-Defence-Secretary decided to scrap HMS Endurance, the Royal Navy's Antarctic patrol boat that protected the Falklands to save some money to spend on his lovely nuclear deterrents. General Galtieri, desperate to quell the unrest against his government in Argentina used his power of wishful thinking to assume this was an indication that the UK wouldn't exactly bust a gut to protect the rights of the Falkland islanders. So, for political gain, he ordered the invasion of the Falklands.

Boy, did he get that one badly wrong!

Well put.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It would be argued by many that her government’s policies, her lack of empathy for certain parts of society and her dismantling of many working-class communities led to loss of a great deal. Imo her supercilious manner and arrogance endeared her even less - BUT we all have opinions and others will differ. The council or whoever have a right to put up a statue I guess and vandalism is not the right way to respond. There are better ways to channel energies if we want societal change

We have a stock response to any problems in our country over the last few years that “it’s all Thatcher’s fault”. And usually, when we think about it, we find no reason to change that view.

Yes I’m exaggerating slightly, always opposed just about everything she did, but she was our first female PM, which deserves recognition, and I’d rather have her in charge for COVID than the #”%@€§# who is in number 10 at the moment.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It may or may not surprise you (I've given up trying to second guess!) but actually I don't ........................

(and, if you're being ironic ............ I still don't!)

Both were santioned by defiance of UN resolutions. In the case of Iraq, going on for ten years.

Each to his own....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
True enough, though Argentina had weeks in which it could have negotiated. Instead, they just ignored UN Security Council Resolution 502 which among other things demanded the withdrawal of all Argentine troops from the Falklands, pending negotiations through the UN. Sadly for all the young Argentine conscripts, most of whom didn't want to be there anyway, Galtieri wasn't having anything to do with UN resolutions.

The Junta planned the whole thing to try to take the heat off of growing domestic and international attention on The Disappeared, 30,000 innocents systematically raped and murdered. Including alive citizens dropped from military planes over the southern Atlantic.

A disgusting fascist regime.

Although not by design obviously, the loss of the short war, ended that horrific time for Argentian.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Both were sanctioned by defiance of UN resolutions. In the case of Iraq, going on for ten years.

Each to his own....
The UN resolution which required Argentina to withdraw her forces from the Falklands, that one? Obviously, defiance of that part of the resolution by the guilty party effectively invalidated moving on to anything else.

Iraq, frankly, was none of our business.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Was she? Or perhaps a conviction politician. Regardless, three times elected as PM for the UK

It’s quite likely/possible she would have lost the second election had it not been for the Falklands war.

And the miners’ strike seemed to show her smashing the unions (something was needed, but she went way too far) and deliberately destroying the communities around the mines. If that’s not divisive, what is?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Via a privatised rail line and paying the highest fares in europe I would image? :smile:

Years out. The process of privatising British Rail started in 1993 and ended in the late 90's.

The most devastating act in the history of railways in the UK was the Beeching Axe from 1963 to 1970, across several governments.

Britain was a debt ridden mess, with a lack of investment from all sources, useless senior management in many industries and some powerful unions hellbent on their own agendas.

It doesn't always boil down to party politics.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Years out. The process of privatising British Rail started in 1993 and ended in the late 90's.

The most devastating act in the history of railways in the UK was the Beeching Axe from 1963 to 1970, across several governments.

Britain was a debt ridden mess, with a lack of investment from all sources, useless senior management in many industries and some powerful unions hellbent on their own agendas.

It doesn't always boil down to party politics.

It was more a general point, She laid the foundations for selling off all our assets and utlities, it was short term solution but long term we are all paying the price. We pay the highest energy tariffs and the highest rail fares europe and our social wealth goes into the hands of, mostly, foreign hands

Can you provide a link please to show that the UK Government were previously in the process of negotiating away sovereignty of the Falkland Isles, I served in the late 80’s and through the 90 ‘s with many FW vets who were more than happy to head down south and get stuck in and knew the risks, it was simple, Argentinian forces invade British Sovereign territory, British Government send troops down there to deal with it End Ex.

Sorry? This is a widely acknowledged fact that no one has ever disputed. It was reported widely on the news at the time so I’m baffled how you would be unaware of it. Just Google any history of the time, here’s the first one I found in literally 10 seconds, from those terrible lefties at the US Naval Institute https://www.usni.org/staggering-war-falklands

It amazes me that a thousand mothers never saw their sons again, many others with terrible lifelong physical and mental traumas - all for what? Argentina was a dictatorship at the time but the Argentines themselves overthrew that and have created democratic institutions now lasting decades. Negotiations could have saved a thousand lives, all for the sake of which flag flew over 1,800 farmers. What a senseless death rate that was.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Despite disagreeing with just about everything that woman stood for, I can see why a statue is a perfectly reasonable thing to erect.

Having said that, I am very much looking forward to seeing the inventive ways people come up with to defile the likeness of the old crone.

It is my understanding that she was happy to let the Falklands go to the Argies and wasn’t at all interested in taking them back until it was pointed out to her that it would hand her the next election.

Well that's demonstrably bollocks for a start!
Well, proceed to demonstrate then. No one has ever credibly denied these negotiations took place, they may well not have agreed with them (the vast majority after they only learnt the Falklands existed once the invasion happened) but you can’t deny credibly sourced history by saying bollocks on the Internet I’m afraid

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, proceed to demonstrate then. No one has ever credibly denied these negotiations took place, they may well not have agreed with them (the vast majority after they only learnt the Falklands existed once the invasion happened) but you can’t deny credibly sourced history by saying bollocks on the Internet I’m afraid
You stated it is a widely acknowledged fact (it really isn't) and that no one has ever disputed it (they have). Both those statements are therefore wrong,

Therefore, bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here