Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marcus Painter.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
seems to be so comfortable on the ball, unlike others who always seem rushed when on it.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
He did have a shot from the edge of the box that went 30 odd yards over, and had a mazey run forward where I thought he was going to shoot right footed but didn't know what to do and eventually I think his shot rolled into the keeper. So no.

And what about when he came close to flicking the ball in from a few yards out?

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I think we could get him - if he is out of contract it is all about the weekly wage, I do not think that he would attract an upper championship club. He can see that Albion are going places and have momentum.

It appears that gus is blase about contracts but for continuity I would like to see painter and calderon signed up. We do not need wholesale changes now, only additions for competition - one for each of the spine of the team goalkeeper, CB, CM, CF. (and left wing). I would be happy with 5/6 signings and get rid of dead wood. If we start next season with the current first team (not including Carole) we would be a playoff team. With additions top 2.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
:thumbsup:
Even though he's really a centre back and offers nothing going forward.. but he has done well, very solid in defence.

Really I must have imagined it was Painter who appeared at the edge of the six yard box to force a save from the Brentford keeper last Tuesday. Also made a couple of good runs in the second half when he beat 2 or 3 players. He does not offer as much going forward as McNulty, but thankfully he is a better defender which of course is his job!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It is very clear that our change in form is due to not having a back 4 that let us down at least 3 or 4 times a game. Great to have these two full backs doing so well and I hope they stay.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Sorry to piss on your bonfire Rookie - Swansea rate him very highly but he had a bad injury and when he recovered, wasn't fit enough to regain his place. They sent him to Brighton until the end of the season expressly to get fit and to get play time under his belt.

He is out of contract at the end of the season and he may be loving it here so there is a chance we could sign him. Our best chance would be if Swansea get promoted (not likely) because he may well then be seen as suprplus to requirements in the Prem. A word of caution however - he is a Championship defender as he is now showing week in week out. If he does become available because Swansea don't resign him (his preferred option) then we could have a fight to hold on to him. Don't just assume his only options are Swansea or Brighton.

For me - he's been a revelation. I really hope he will want to stay and that we can afford him...but I'm not getting my hopes up.

This.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I think most people know that having 2 full backs that actually look like they belong in that position has gone along way to turn things around for us.
I really like Calderon but Marcos Painter really is looking a very good player now he is getting up to full fitness.I hope Gus can sort out a permanent move for him asap.

Bugger, I didn't realise he was only on loan.
Hard to keep up with the comings and goings over the last 12 months!!

Agreed, have to sign him if we can.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Bugger, I didn't realise he was only on loan.
Hard to keep up with the comings and goings over the last 12 months!!

Agreed, have to sign him if we can.
I think what we have seen is that we will either get these two or we will be looking for others of equal ability - either way we can trust the new management team to know what is needed

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
This thread is a perfect example of the fickleness and short memories of fans everywhere... How quickly heads are turned.

How long ago was it that Andrew 'Player of the Season' Whing and Jim 'Best Defender in this Division' McNulty were the apples of our collective eye?

No wonder some players find it hard to get too excited about waving to the adoring fans.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This thread is a perfect example of the fickleness and short memories of fans everywhere... How quickly heads are turned.

How long ago was it that Andrew 'Player of the Season' Whing and Jim 'Best Defender in this Division' McNulty were the apples of our collective eye?

No wonder some players find it hard to get too excited about waving to the adoring fans.

No one is saying that they are now bad players, but without doubt these two are an improvement (certainly on a post-injury Jimmy Mac), so fans are entitled to get excited.

As for waving at the adoring fans? Waving at the adoring wage payers you mean!!

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Sorry to piss on your bonfire Rookie - Swansea rate him very highly but he had a bad injury and when he recovered, wasn't fit enough to regain his place. They sent him to Brighton until the end of the season expressly to get fit and to get play time under his belt.

He is out of contract at the end of the season and he may be loving it here so there is a chance we could sign him. Our best chance would be if Swansea get promoted (not likely) because he may well then be seen as suprplus to requirements in the Prem. A word of caution however - he is a Championship defender as he is now showing week in week out. If he does become available because Swansea don't resign him (his preferred option) then we could have a fight to hold on to him. Don't just assume his only options are Swansea or Brighton.

For me - he's been a revelation. I really hope he will want to stay and that we can afford him...but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Is this fact? Where does this information come from? Or have you appointed yourself his spokesman, because you came up with the 'ribtickling' nickname, Imelda?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I have a bit of inside info from a good source at Swansea (source confirmed by some other NSC folk). Not self appointed in any way and my info isn't from Mr Painter but is pretty reliable. As I have seen people saying things like "we should sign him", I have tried to just balance that by explaining that it's not that simple. Signing a loan player isn't simple - there are always other parties involved as I have tried to explain.

R.Slicker - I could be wrong, things may have changed, but I know that as of fairly recently this was the situation. I'd love Marcos to be loving his time at Brighton and would want him tio sign - but it may not be that simple.

I thought Imelda was quite good given the way he spells Marcos...but it hasn't taken has it!! Thanks for pointing that out :(

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004

To be fair, Jimmy looked good in the couple of games before his injury, but its hard to know whether he wil ever be the same.

Whing is still a good option in my opinion, but I prefer Painter.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I have a bit of inside info from a good source at Swansea (source confirmed by some other NSC folk). Not self appointed in any way and my info isn't from Mr Painter but is pretty reliable. As I have seen people saying things like "we should sign him", I have tried to just balance that by explaining that it's not that simple. Signing a loan player isn't simple - there are always other parties involved as I have tried to explain.

R.Slicker - I could be wrong, things may have changed, but I know that as of fairly recently this was the situation. I'd love Marcos to be loving his time at Brighton and would want him tio sign - but it may not be that simple.

I thought Imelda was quite good given the way he spells Marcos...but it hasn't taken has it!! Thanks for pointing that out :(

Thanks for a good honest reply TRHK. This PC does not do smilies, so sometimes things I post tongue in cheek come across a bit harsh.
I am glad however , that Imelda didn't stick, one of my pet hates is fully grown adults referring to Benno & muzza etc on here. *inserts smilie*

As TRHK said, Painter is well thought of in Swansea and will be offered a new contract IMO.

Swansea are looking to sign (Serbian international) Tosic as a stop-gap until the end of the season but Tosic has stated that he will not play in the Championship next season.

Painter was quoted (when he left to go on loan) as saying he had a point to prove when he returned.

Hopefully Swansea will make it through the play-offs though :thumbsup:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To be honest first few games we needed to tighten up and Painter didnt cross the halfway line.

Now it appears that every now and then he can and isnt too bad, but of course the first remit was to obviously "defend".

I hope we get him but like others have said its probably not our decision!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I thought Imelda was quite good given the way he spells Marcos...but it hasn't taken has it!!

Ahhhhh. And I was thinking it was because he had hundreds of pairs of shoes.. :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here