NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
81ABD7FC-D6F9-4601-8A48-F84BA41C4B5D.png

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It remains to be seen whether he recovers his form but from where I'm sitting he DID become a bad player overnight after the Amex drubbing.

I can't see him ever winning the Chelsea fans over. His best bet would be to return to Spain and sign for someone like Sevilla / Villareal / Atletico.

He's under contract there till 2028 and they paid £63m for him. He'll be on monster wages. Unless Chelsea are prepared to take a MASSIVE hit (doubtful), then nobody outside the PL could afford him. And nobody in the PL would want him.

Unless he gets loaned out, he's well and truly stuck there now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As someone pointed out in the CL match thread this evening Cucu has been tainted by the Potter association in the eyes of a lot of Chavsea fans. He’ll surely have to move on in the summer if possible.

He’s only got 64 months remaining on his contract, on a (guessed) £180k a week.

This is going to cost them dear.

Levante will insist on a wages subsidy of £165k a week!

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I liked Cucu but he left and clearly didn't give a stuff about us. He wanted money and fair play he has got loads more of it.

He's not winning anything this season, didn't get picked for Spain, Chelsea fans hate him but he got the money he craved, so he's happy.

Brighton got a lot of money for him, upgraded with his replacement so we can all move on.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
He's under contract there till 2028 and they paid £63m for him. He'll be on monster wages. Unless Chelsea are prepared to take a MASSIVE hit (doubtful), then nobody outside the PL could afford him. And nobody in the PL would want him.

Unless we whack in a cheeky £5m bid? £10,000 wages as a back up left back.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I liked Cucu but he left and clearly didn't give a stuff about us. He wanted money and fair play he has got loads more of it.

He's not winning anything this season, didn't get picked for Spain, Chelsea fans hate him but he got the money he craved, so he's happy.

Brighton got a lot of money for him, upgraded with his replacement so we can all move on.
I'm not ready to move on yet. There is still a fair bit of hilarity left in this situation for us all to enjoy.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Agreed. And like Potter he WAS good for us. But we're not going to move on are we? This is too much fun! :)

Anyway, as you say every time he hears a bit of abuse he just thinks of his bank balance. As Shakespeare almost said in Hamlet: these are the slings and arrows he has to suffer in order to earn an outrageous fortune.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Did you actually watch him play? I don't care what he has achieved at chelsea but for us he was a joy to watch. Our own proper left back. This position has been aw weak pont for us in history. Years of Mayo and like. Covered by good temporary loans of Ward and the brilliant Bridge.
Please..............yes, every home game and most of the away games. I just object to hyperbole. Fantastic is far too strong a word to use. Its the same as using ' great ' You have no more room left to judge people. Cucurella was good for a number of months last season, with some very good performances as well. He wasn't fantastic. No one is or was.
Check out ' Westander's ' post ( above ) A balanced assessment of Cucurella's season. Not a rose tinted generalisation, describing his whole season as fantastic.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I was consistent on the following, before Cucu left.

Veltman was my POTS, a 7 to 9 ten in almost every 2021/22 game imho.

Cucu had a great start …. wow, we have insane pace down the left driving teams back. Then during our eternally shit months mid-season, Cucu was as culpable as anyone else, defensively weak. Finishing with a flurry, fantastic during those glorious final weeks.

Estupinan to me is a far better LB, the real deal. The highest accolade I can give him is “the Caicedo of full backs”.
Thank you for a sensible and balanced assessment.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Cucu will go out on loan next season 100%. The Chelsea fans have had their say, the more they boo him the more he keeps making mistakes.

This might be an unpopular view but we are crying out for a back up to Pervis. I’d take him on loan next season with Chelsea paying 90% of the salary.

Is it just me who has noticed that Pervis doesn’t do a lot of defending in our system? Cucu would fit in well with Caicedo covering him.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
I wouldn’t read too much into the hostility of the fans towards Cucu. I read recently that Modric was voted the worst signing ever at Real Madrid in his first season! Having said that the reports of him kissing the Madrid badge are going to get him slaughtered. Can that be true? How do you even do that?

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I feel sorry for Cucu really. I think at the time, any one of our players probably would have jumped at the chance.

Remember that the Chelsea project was very attractive pre season. I've filmed with a few players who have been in the form of their lives and have been in negotiations for better teams (and got them on camera). Most didn't come off, and they'll probably never get their chance at the really top level now. One player is doing well in the PL at least.

There's no way that Marc is a bad player - but it is very clear that structure and teamwork is essential in making sure that a player shows his worth. There's a reason why Ben White and Leo are performing so well at Arsenal, and Biss and Cucu have been underperforming.

I'm surprised that Marc gets all of the stick from Chelsea fans. Yes he's made mistakes, but at least he tries. Sterling, on the other hand, has been completely woeful.

It was very annoying that he left, I was as pissed off as every other Brighton fan and I enjoy the pantomime now - but we got an astonishing amount of money for a left back and I'd wager that estupinan is better and far less likely to leave.

I'd also think the whole Chelsea debacle would serve as a lesson to everybody about what are you jumping for. Ali Mac is likely to go in the summer - but he would be wise to sign for Man City, Real etc over Chelsea, Spurs... maybe liverpool...even somewhere like Barcelona.

Deep down, however, I think i'd like to see cucu succeed. As I would Potter. We're in a better place.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Cucu will go out on loan next season 100%. The Chelsea fans have had their say, the more they boo him the more he keeps making mistakes.

This might be an unpopular view but we are crying out for a back up to Pervis. I’d take him on loan next season with Chelsea paying 90% of the salary.

Is it just me who has noticed that Pervis doesn’t do a lot of defending in our system? Cucu would fit in well with Caicedo covering him.
...no thanks, we should keep moving forwards

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here