Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marc Cucurella

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Bruno went for the money. Lets not package it up as anything else or pretend it was because of a concern he might lose his job. Any new manager wants a coach that understands the players he has inherited and can help him understand the DNA of the club. Andrew Crofts became that man because Bruno wanted his £m's.
That’s how I see it. Bruno speaking Spanish would have also been a major asset to RDZ and no threat to RDZ’s coaching team.

Less so for Roberts.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bruno went for the money. Lets not package it up as anything else or pretend it was because of a concern he might lose his job. Any new manager wants a coach that understands the players he has inherited and can help him understand the DNA of the club. Andrew Crofts became that man because Bruno wanted his £m's.
Well of course money came into the equation, doesn't it for everybody where work and their livelyhood is concerned? He did have his family's welfare to consider too.

And yes there would have been a very real concern that he would have lost his job, many new managers want to bring in a completely new team of their own tried and trusted coaches.

So are you saying that all that Bruno acheieved for the Albion just because he made the decision to move on to Chelsea should be erased from the history books and forgotten?

Sorry but l think that's ridiculous.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is that what actually happened? Or did the club offer him no guarantees as to what his role would be under a new manager?
it happened rather fast for that, and he has no real guarantees at Chelsea either, other than a payday. that said can happily seperate Bruno on pitch legend and off pitch.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No that was his choice but you cant expect fans to retain their memory of him as a legend considering the shit he left us in when everyone was expecting him to be our caretaker manager.

Even if he did jump ship for the payday then good luck to him l say, nothing lasts forever. He has done more than enough to ensure his cult status at the club in my eyes.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No that was his choice but you cant expect fans to retain their memory of him as a legend considering the shit he left us in when everyone was expecting him to be our caretaker manager.
I for 1 can

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Gotta be honest, I'm not sure the club has suffered a great deal from Bruno leaving. As a collective, it might have been a difficult time, but him alone? Don't think so.

As for 'expecting him' to become caretaker manager? Even if that was the thinking from TB and co, do you really think they wouldn't have a contingency plan (or plans) if he didn't accept/want it? Was he even offered it?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You can't, obviously, but many fans can see the wood for the trees. Also, interested to know how you know TB was going to offer Bruno the caretaker role? We actually didn't need one because we didn't play a game between Potter leaving and RDZ joining.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You can't, obviously, but many fans can see the wood for the trees. Also, interested to know how you know TB was going to offer Bruno the caretaker role? We actually didn't need one because we didn't play a game between Potter leaving and RDZ joining.
Barber has mentioned it in one of his interviews.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes you and me both.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Barber has mentioned it in one of his interviews.
Link? Even if he was caretaker, there was no guarantee he would stay once a permanent appointment had been made. Fact is we took Potter and the team he'd assembled from Swansea and then Chelsea did the same to us.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Bruno wasn’t anywhere near being ready to be even a Caretaker Manager. Tony plans these appointments a long time in advance so the effect of anybody leaving is minimal. Bruno was a great Albion player but that does not mean he could step up to management. Completely different skill set. He has moved on and so have we.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Link? Even if he was caretaker, there was no guarantee he would stay once a permanent appointment had been made. Fact is we took Potter and the team he'd assembled from Swansea and then Chelsea did the same to us.
Can't find or putting it another way can't be bothered. He did though allude to it in a recent interview.

Edit: I remember a little bit more about the interview, it was when talking about Lallana taking the coaching with Crofts. He mentioned he knew Lallana would step up, having heard at the games played behind closed doors and him coaching while on the pitch. Just prior to that he mentioned Bruno was expected to take the team.

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
…….and more…….. almost overnight …….. and in the middle of the season

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
…….and more…….. almost overnight …….. and in the middle of the season
September is never in the middle of the season.

Bruno left with the club in 4th place, having recently helped the team to a record high finish and spending several years improving players to the point where you can pretty much put a £50m price tag on about half of them.

Bruno did a lot of things but "leaving the club in the shit" is certainly not one of them.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Bruno wasn’t anywhere near being ready to be even a Caretaker Manager. Tony plans these appointments a long time in advance so the effect of anybody leaving is minimal. Bruno was a great Albion player but that does not mean he could step up to management. Completely different skill set. He has moved on and so have we.
I refer to my post above. He was

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I'm just surmising but I suspect it went something like 'we'd like you to stay but it'd be up to new manager'. The club can't offer the job to any manager and say, by the way, coaches x, y & z are already here for you.

What about if he'd stayed and then De Zerbi had said no thanks and he was out?

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I'm just surmising but I suspect it went something like 'we'd like you to stay but it'd be up to new manager'. The club can't offer the job to any manager and say, by the way, coaches x, y & z are already here for you.

What about if he'd stayed and then De Zerbi had said no thanks and he was out?
Exactly. So I don’t think he deserves any stick for going to Chelsea.

In a way it’s similar to Stockdale. I’m sure when he left he knew the club were eyeing up Maty Ryan (or at least another keeper). But lots of fans seem to want to be upset with him for leaving.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I might be in a minority but I was pleased that Potter et al had a good game last night. To have been through the past few weeks for all the ex Brighton team must have been horrific for them and their families. Like most I was very disappointed at their leaving but the hate they have endured since is just not right

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here