Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not THE dullard, I'm afraid - but the timing of the cash payments won't impact the amortisation. The fee will be amortised across the length of the contract, for accounting and FFP purposes.

:thumbsup:

Makes sense. I guess trying to pay in instalments is more a cashflow kind of thing then.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
A bit annoying that potentially Burnley have matched the buy-out and propose to pay it in one go (reading between the lines).

Maybe we should fly to the south of France and stick our beak into their Cornet talks, muffling that deal and see how they like it!

I'm dubious about this Burnley talk. They're not exactly big spenders.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes the idea that Burnley would slap the full fee down on the table just like that is far fetched.

They are trying to sign Cornet - a left back.

What better way to move those negotiations along than to hint at interest in another player ?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yes the idea that Burnley would slap the full fee down on the table just like that is far fetched.

What better way to move the negotiations along than to hint at interest in another player ?

And according to Sky Sports, their bid of £15 million for Cornet would be spread across five instalments so I find it hard to believe they'd put it down in one lump sum for Cucurella.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

What better way to move the negotiations along than to hint at interest in another player ?

Whilst interfering in the business of a Premier League rival. One stone, two birds……or should I say one ferret, two rabbits (for t’ pot).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The new owner (of all the debt) might be getting a twitchy, esp if he thinks he might only have this and January's window to save his cash cow.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Seems a bit strange that we're arguing the toss about instalments, when we bullied Arsenal into a higher up front payment.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Seems a bit strange that we're arguing the toss about instalments, when we bullied Arsenal into a higher up front payment.

The club is faced with shelling out some cash for both Cucurella AND Nunez. It may be the case 100% cash up front for Cucurella could leave us short for the cash component of the Nunez deal. Half of the Cucurella cash represents a quarter of the Nunez cash.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought the argument with Arsenal was about getting a guaranteed £50m, not about the installments

My (lack of) understanding about the deal is:-

Arsenal are buggers for spreading payment over the term of the player contract.
If I remember rightly they are carrying over the second largest debt, to other clubs, in the EPL.
That was quite a serious amount of money and considerably higher than most. (I'll be jiggered if I can remember who was #1)

The Albion said 'we don't want to sell'.
Then kept saying it until not only £50m was reached but reached in a fashion that didn't have the club beholden to Arsenal for the next 5 years.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The timing of installments can be minimised as an issue by selling the future income flows to a bank or other financer at a bit of a discount that represents the interest cost.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The timing of installments can be minimised as an issue by selling the future income flows to a bank or other financer at a bit of a discount that represents the interest cost.

We've already done that with future TV rights / parachute payments have we not ?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Why does it take us so long to get things over the line? Burnley move for alternative and have already wrapped him up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why does it take us so long to get things over the line? Burnley move for alternative and have already wrapped him up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite probably as these are our top targets, Burnley sniffed around and thought either too complicated or more likely we were streets ahead of them on the deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here