Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Cucurella sold for l£100m how would it benefit us as in the supporters? Couldn’t care less what he went for tbh if he’s going to go.

Well, £100M incoming might just result in circumstances and outcomes which resulted in some people stopping moaning that we won't pay £40-£50-£60M for a striker, and are doomed forever if we don't..... How would that grab you?

.....Eh?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Well, £100M incoming might just result in circumstances and outcomes which resulted in some people stopping moaning that we won't pay £40-£50-£60M for a striker, and are doomed forever if we don't..... How would that grab you?

.....Eh?
Considering we have already sold players for £100m and this summer so far have signed a prospect for a few million and then loaned him out I don’t think anyone would get to excited.
As transfer windows go ours are generally dull affairs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If Cucurella sold for l£100m how would it benefit us as in the supporters? Couldn’t care less what he went for tbh if he’s going to go.

Because it strengthens our hand when negotiating for other young players to come to us in the first place because they can see we don't stand in their way if the price is right for BHA. Otherwise we might not see the likes of Caciedo, Encisco etc etc.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Because it strengthens our hand when negotiating for other young players to come to us in the first place because they can see we don't stand in their way if the price is right for BHA. Otherwise we might not see the likes of Caciedo, Encisco etc etc.
Is that just a good myth? Top clubs mostly secondary scout for first team players hence why they pay the high fees, they buy the finished article. There is no way Caicedo and others stroll into top champion leagues sides with out a stepping stone club.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Every day that passes the price goes up, and regardless of that, the chances of Cucurella staying slightly increases.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Considering we have already sold players for £100m and this summer so far have signed a prospect for a few million and then loaned him out I don’t think anyone would get to excited.

Wise words. Honestly, I'm actually past caring about transfer speculation these days - from the players we're interested in to the amount we'll get for our players. I just have absolute faith in the whole club and the far-reaching highly competent recruitment team. They've earned it. For well over a decade now, this club has taken incremental steps forward (admittedly with the occasional step back) so whatever they are doing seems to work. I'll just wait for the season to start and not worry about who is here on that day. We've got absolutely no reason to be fearful, such is the professionalism of the recruitment team.

I mean obviously I hope Cucu will still be here as he is probably the best left back to ever play for the club, but que sera sera. We've already got players coming in who we've never really seen and I'm quite excited about - Undav, Mitoma, JPVH and so on.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Wise words. Honestly, I'm actually past caring about transfer speculation these days - from the players we're interested in to the amount we'll get for our players. I just have absolute faith in the whole club and the far-reaching highly competent recruitment team. They've earned it. For well over a decade now, this club has taken incremental steps forward (admittedly with the occasional step back) so whatever they are doing seems to work. I'll just wait for the season to start and not worry about who is here on that day. We've got absolutely no reason to be fearful, such is the professionalism of the recruitment team.

I mean obviously I hope Cucu will still be here as he is probably the best left back to ever play for the club, but que sera sera. We've already got players coming in who we've never really seen and I'm quite excited about - Undav, Mitoma, JPVH and so on.
Don’t get me wrong I don’t like the sound of squeezing Macalister into the deep lying role as he can score goals and is reasonably creative.
Is it because we can’t find anyone or don’t want to pay for anyone to fill that role? But as you say we will just have to wait and see pointless worrying about it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Don’t get me wrong I don’t like the sound of squeezing Macalister into the deep lying role as he can score goals and is reasonably creative.
Is it because we can’t find anyone or don’t want to pay for anyone to fill that role? But as you say we will just have to wait and see pointless worrying about it.

Worrying about things out of your control is always pointless. But in this case, why is anyone worrying at all? This club's recruitment affairs have NEVER been as well run, and is arguably the best in the whole league if not in world football (as mad as that sounds). We've just sold our 5th or 6th best centre-back to Italy's third best team for as much as ten million pounds. It is absolutely mental.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Eh? Which players have we sold for £100m? Collectively, maybe, but that's a different thing altogether. Different transfer windows, budgets, seasons, targets etc, etc.

Selling a SINGLE player for that much would have numerous benefits for supporters: a chunk of it going towards investment in the first team; potential subsidies on goods, services, etc (bringing down the cost of a pint, so it's not the most expensive in the PL, for example) and a stronger hand in attracting top TOP players, for three...

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

£100 million would go a long way to paying of the club’s debts that in itself might put the club into a strong position moving forward

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

See, I don't look at Mac Allister in that role as a compromise. The fact that he wears no. 10 and has scored a couple of coals belies the fact that's he's actually an excellent defensive midfielder. With him and Caicedo in midfield, I actually think that it's a very good option.

To your point though, transfer windows are so tedious generally. The noise is invariably louder than the activity and I trust the transfer team at Brighton now, more than ever

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville

Your point about incremental steps is a good one and something that is overlooked too often IMHO. Since we came up in 2017, eight clubs have been promoted and subsequently relegated, with Leeds almost making it nine. That includes Sheffield United, who signed forwards that some on here wanted us to sign and were the best thing since sliced bread for one season, only to fall back. I'll gladly take steady improvement over that.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Leave it for others to decide to get excited or not ha ha ! But We've sold players for £100m in the last 12 months. - not this summer. White, Burn, Ostigard, Bissouma (and also a few others like Cochrane for smaller fees)
Also in the last 12 months we've bought Caicedo, Enciso, Sima, Koslowski, Mwepu, Cucurella, Adingra, Mitoma and Scherpen, loaned out 20 players, and sold players for our biggest ever fees to Napoli, Arsenal, Spurs and Newcastle FC (and hardly missed them). I remember when buying Will Buckley for £1m caused quite a stir. Maybe "dull affairs" for some of our jaded fans cough cough but blimey sometimes its hard to scratch yourself and believe it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Leave it for others to decide to get excited or not ha ha ! But We've sold players for £100m in the last 12 months. - not this summer. White, Burn, Ostigard, Bissouma (and also a few others like Cochrane for smaller fees)
Also in the last 12 months we've bought Caicedo, Enciso, Sima, Koslowski, Mwepu, Cucurella, Adingra, Mitoma and Scherpen, loaned out 20 players, and sold players for our biggest ever fees to Napoli, Arsenal, Spurs and Newcastle FC (and hardly missed them). I remember when buying Will Buckley for £1m caused quite a stir. Maybe "dull affairs" for some of our jaded fans cough cough but blimey sometimes its hard to scratch yourself and believe it.
It’s all relevant £100k for a certain Mr Murray was considered a fortune back in the day.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If he goes, it will be for an undisclosed fee, and all the Man City friendly national sports journalists will quote the figure City leak to them, which will be a bare minimum paid. Cue outrage on here. Followed by Andy Naylor and Brian Owen reporting what their Brighton sauces have told them about how it's much more than is being reported (probably because they are including all payments including add ons). Just as with Bissouma. Just as it is for so many of our transfers.

Yes, I'm in the 'not getting too fixated on trnasfer fees' camp.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Relax mate! Most of us aren't having a go at the club, just speculating about possible ins and outs and how much we think the price should be!

Not like you to get your facts wrong though - we didn't sign Caceido in the last twelve months - and to be extremely picky, both Mwepu and Scherpen have been here longer than a year too!
:wink::)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here