Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Only becomes an issue if a club reports it but that’s extremely rare as they’re all at it.

Everyone knows the score.

Perhaps, but it remains against the rules.

As we have seen with Ashworth, Brighton are quite prepared to be hard-nosed about certain issues, so who knows.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
"Marc, Manchester City have made a generous offer for you and we've accepted it. Pep Guardiola wants to talk to you about becoming his first choice left back as they look to retain the Premier league title and win their first Champions League trophy"

"Nah, you're OK, I like the sea air in Brighton and hope to be captain when Dunky retires. Sorry you went to that effort negotiating. "

Been suggested he was still at Getafe when interviewed here

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Perhaps, but it remains against the rules.

As we have seen with Ashworth, Brighton are quite prepared to be hard-nosed about certain issues, so who knows.

Yeah and clubs don't really break these rules any more. Clubs are not willing to risk a 1-2 year transfer ban and FIFA has handed out a couple of those, so it is not a paper tiger threat.

It happens that both clubs agree that you can negotiate with the player before/while the clubs are negotiating. And obviously there are some ways of working around it to indicate your interest and get some kind of reply. But if you specific personal terms before the clubs agree to it, you're in deep shit.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Only if it’s an illegal approach

Not at all, clubs often give players permission to discuss personal terms while negotiations are on going over transfer fees. Ben White had agreed terms with Arsenal before we finally agreed the fee with Arsenal a few weeks later. Most famously Jadon Sancho originally agreed terms with Man Utd about 12 months before they managed to agree the transfer fee with Dortmund and the move finally happened.

Not that I am suggesting there is anything in the stories about Cucurella, but it happens way more often than people think, with full knowledge and agreement of clubs.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not at all, clubs often give players permission to discuss personal terms while negotiations are on going over transfer fees. Ben White had agreed terms with Arsenal before we finally agreed the fee with Arsenal a few weeks later. Most famously Jadon Sancho originally agreed terms with Man Utd about 12 months before they managed to agree the transfer fee with Dortmund and the move finally happened.

Not that I am suggesting there is anything in the stories about Cucurella, but it happens way more often than people think, with full knowledge and agreement of clubs.

Yes but then the clubs have agreed therefore not illegal.

If the club is unaware it is illegal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bad business to sell this summer two seasons of consistency and the price will be huge. City trying to sneak in early.

If City really want him, he’s gone but it will be for way more than Wan Bissaka or Ben White went for

This thread has got quite depressing

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Can’t possibly say that without knowing what any price will be……we know Tony well enough now to know how he works.

I think there's a reasonably simple calculation, isn't there? If we figure we can sell him and get a replacement in that won't lose us PL Prize Money or even see us relegated without us losing on the deal he'll be gone. If we figure the medium term cost of him going and needing replaced is greater than our likely (transfer fee + wages saved) we won't even pick up the phone.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think there's a reasonably simple calculation, isn't there? If we figure we can sell him and get a replacement in that won't lose us PL Prize Money or even see us relegated without us losing on the deal he'll be gone. If we figure the medium term cost of him going and needing replaced is greater than our likely (transfer fee + wages saved) we won't even pick up the phone.

Not necessarily…..loaded Man City may be told a ridiculous amount but they still pay up anyway (see Arsenal/Ben White). Your first sentence suggests standing still, not progressing :D

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Now there was me thinking a few weeks ago that the top clubs were after our right back and willing to break the bank :shrug:

Let's face it, the top six will know all about Cuc, Tross, Big Bob, Tariq, Biss etc

If only Arsenal had heard of Hurstpierpoint a few years ago, how many more league positions would they have made and how much less would they have had to spend on BW ( a very good footballer) ???

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Your first sentence suggests standing still, not progressing :D

Yep, good point. Tight balancing act but surely there's a variable for that in the algorithms too?

Basically, if we end up worse off we won't do it. Maybe there is some truth in the thought that we could agree price and terms, subject to us getting a replacement that we think will keep us ahead of the curve.

It's a hard call though. As a fan I absolutely LOVE Cucu. He's everything good about a left sided player. Getting another player with that energy AND such a cultured left foot will be next to impossible.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep, good point. Tight balancing act but surely there's a variable for that in the algorithms too?

Basically, if we end up worse off we won't do it. Maybe there is some truth in the thought that we could agree price and terms, subject to us getting a replacement that we think will keep us ahead of the curve.

It's a hard call though. As a fan I absolutely LOVE Cucu. He's everything good about a left sided player. Getting another player with that energy AND such a cultured left foot will be next to impossible.

Me too, he’s been a revelation but I have every faith in Tony doing the ‘right’ thing. If he goes, it’ll be a club record fee and we’ll have contingency plans ready to implement.

FWIW I actually think the City talk is mostly made up bollocks, but we’ll see.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
There’s always gossip and I expect Man City may be interested but I doubt Tony will sell this summer. Our big sale this summer will be Biss. Tony invests for returns and he gets them but I expect he’s quite aware of the impact of selling Biss and another key player this window. If City come in with an offer of £50-60m he’ll think he can get that next summer, or there or there abouts.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Me too, he’s been a revelation but I have every faith in Tony doing the ‘right’ thing. If he goes, it’ll be a club record fee and we’ll have contingency plans ready to implement.

FWIW I actually think the City talk is mostly made up bollocks, but we’ll see.

All that the original story by Dominic King said was that City had "targeted Marc Cucurella as the possible solution to their left-back issue and are ready to pursue a £30m deal."

So a few ifs and buts there. "Possible" solution. Not definite. "Ready to pursue a £30m deal." Yes, I'll bet they would be. But if there's no £30m deal on the table - which I think we can be reasonably sure there won't be - then there will be nothing to pursue.

Dominic King is a decent guy but I don't think he's seen much of Cucurella or he wouldn't be undervaluing him so much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here