Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
Is that reporting correct?

In the UK, sell-ons are usually applicable to the DIFFERENCE between the original buying price, and the latest selling price, ie if Barcelona sold him to Getafe for €10 million with a 10% sell-on, and Getafe subsequently sold him for €18 million, Barcelona would be due to receive 10% of (18-10), so €800,000 (not 10% of the full €18 million).

I have no idea if sell-ons traditionally work differently in Spain.

Perhaps it would be easier to understand if you consider it this way: In South America (and perhaps this applies in Spain/Portugal but can't confirm) the selling club effectively retains a % effective "ownership" of the player; when said player is eventually re-sold that % then applies to the total resale price (and not the difference between original purchase price and resale price)

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

In the UK, sell-ons are usually applicable to the DIFFERENCE between the original buying price, and the latest selling price, ie if Barcelona sold him to Getafe for €10 million with a 10% sell-on, and Getafe subsequently sold him for €18 million, Barcelona would be due to receive 10% of (18-10), so €800,000 (not 10% of the full €18 million).

Not sure that most sell on clauses in England are % of profit tbh? I can think of shedloads that are a % of total sale, but am struggling to remember a profit only clause. I'm sure there are, but I can't think of any!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not sure that most sell on clauses in England are % of profit tbh? I can think of shedloads that are a % of total sale, but am struggling to remember a profit only clause. I'm sure there are, but I can't think of any!
I thought sell on the UK were usually a % of profit.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I thought sell on the UK were usually a % of profit.

I'm sure there are both, but I can't think of any profit only ones! Plenty of % of sales ones though.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm sure there are both, but I can't think of any profit only ones! Plenty of % of sales ones though.
Not sure that is correct to be honest. If you read the stories about a club (usually lower league) getting an unexpected windfall they are usually based on the difference.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure that is correct to be honest. If you read the stories about a club (usually lower league) getting an unexpected windfall they are usually based on the difference.

Not sure - out of interest did a bit of searching on the net and more articles than not point to it being based on the whole fee....suspect the reality is a bit of both.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...est-fee-earned-from-a-football-sell-on-clause

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

I never knew that !

I always thought it was a % of the total transfer fee.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be honest, sell on clauses could be percentage of total transfer fee, or percentage of profit - and we won't ever really know. At the end of the day, what goes into a contract is what all the parties involved agree to, and 99 times out of a hundred they ain't going to tell us what that is! Generally we don't even know with any certainty exactly what the transfer fee is anyway - we might be able to extrapolate a reasonable guess from the club's published accounts, but what exactly has been signed up to remains confidential.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Ashley Young, Nathaniel Clyne, Raheem Sterling and Jon Stones all had between 10%-20% sell on clauses over the years. There are plenty of others.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
And Steve Cook.

If Bournemouth ever sell !

Talking of Bournemouth, they let Lallana join Saints at the age of 12....14 years later they netted a cool £5.75m of the £25m fee when he joined Liverpool!

I hope whoever negotiated that deal got a bonus!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
As I like to keep track of transfer fees paid and received by Albion, many years ago I had a query over the details of Leon Knight's transfer (I can't remember now whether it was upon his signature for, or his departure from, the club - there were sell-on clauses in both cases).

Anyway, I asked a question of Insider in the "Ask The Club" section of this board.

It was Insider who stated that standard practice in the industry was that sell-on clauses typically applied to the PROFIT on the deal (as I explained in post #1098).

In the absence of any stronger evidence form a more well-connected source, I shall continue to believe that is the case.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
As I like to keep track of transfer fees paid and received by Albion, many years ago I had a query over the details of Leon Knight's transfer (I can't remember now whether it was upon his signature for, or his departure from, the club - there were sell-on clauses in both cases).

Anyway, I asked a question of Insider in the "Ask The Club" section of this board.

It was Insider who stated that standard practice in the industry was that sell-on clauses typically applied to the PROFIT on the deal (as I explained in post #1098).

In the absence of any stronger evidence form a more well-connected source, I shall continue to believe that is the case.

My understanding is also it is on the profit margin that the sell on % relates to.

This is often the reason the % is high. A recent example would be the 40% due to Newcastle for Armstrong, they wouldn’t have got 40% of the full fee I doubt, but quite happy to not correct the press who lap it up for them as an overhyped success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Talking of Bournemouth, they let Lallana join Saints at the age of 12....14 years later they netted a cool £5.75m of the £25m fee when he joined Liverpool!

I hope whoever negotiated that deal got a bonus!

I believe the sell on clause was decided by an FA tribunal in the same way the fees for Gareth Barry and Michael Standing were when they moved to Villa from us.

Weren't Chelsea entitled to 40% of any transfer fee we received for Leon Knight, as the fee we paid for him was so low it was basically impossible for us to sell him for a major profit without Chelsea getting their hands on nearly half of it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
You know that silence moments before a child lets out an enormous bellow. As the air from miles around gets sucked into their lungs......... that's why I am assuming this has gone so quiet. Brace yourself Albion fans.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You know that silence moments before a child lets out an enormous bellow. As the air from miles around gets sucked into their lungs......... that's why I am assuming this has gone so quiet. Brace yourself Albion fans.

So you're saying it's............................................IMMINENT? :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here