Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He can hand in transfer requests all day if he likes to, it matters **** all really. A (hypothetical) transfer request is just stating the obvious - "I'd like to move to City, earn a ****load of money, glory and international caps".

Personally I think Manchester City knew all along that they would not get him for £30m but are playing the transfer this way to avoid the fee landing on more than £50m-ish. If their first bid had been £50m, Tony just might have shrugged and told them to come back with something better. Now he might agree to settle for £50m or something. The market is looking a little depressed so I don't think it is possible to get much more than that anyway.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes - I see your point, and it’s not without logic or merit ... but if I was GP I’d rather avoid working with a player whose attitude (allegedly) is that we’re holding back his God given right to be a megastar... this is very different to DS or even LD, this is so in the media spotlight that by keeping him we’ll see a real circus around his every move, glance, grimace etc... it’ll be a joke... the narrative will focussed on a ‘club like Brighton imprisoning talent and destiny...’ again if I were GP ermmmm not for me.

That and we need a replacement now, and not in January an awful time to recruit awful.

Free Marc Cucurella (from his five year contract)? **** him, it has cost us a mere 15 million and his wages. I don't see TB giving in until his price is met :shrug:

Disclaimer - I am not a big business man and I WOULD cut off my nose to spite my face in this instance. Aren't you glad I don't run the club? :lolol:

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Romano clearly has an agenda. He's been tweeting out crap for several weeks re Cucurella in an attempt to rock the boat. Whether it's on behalf of the agent or Guardiloa who knows. 'If' true, time for Tony B to dig his heels in and play hardball and rinse them before agreeing any move. We hold the cards. True to form, Mansour City FC and Petulant Pep have behaved like spoilt brats who can't get their way.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
No, we should not ask for more money because City are going about this in a bad way. That's not the way Brighton and Bloom do business. £50m is not inflated and City have the funds. Let them pay it if they want to, but no point upsetting the ethos of the club as moneybags City are being tactless.

Let's see if Cucurella has really submitted a transfer request too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone know if this was filmed before or after Marc STORMED into Tony’s office and DEMANDED his transfer ? Maybe Super Fab ITK could tell us :shrug:

[tweet]1552964174589923329[/tweet]

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Because it's laying down a marker for any other low ball offers for our players for all future transfer windows. Fold on this one and a precedent is set for future low ball offers from the big boys.

And losing ambitious GP potentially sooner than we otherwise might.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It’s rare for Albion players - but Dale Stephens had a fine season for us in 2016/17 post the Burnley drama in pre season.

Ah, but I suspect this ‘sensational’ stuff will sell more copy ... who really gave a rats ass, re DS, outside of us and Sean Dyche? This is wholly different and will prove a real soap opera if we ‘dare’ to play hardball.

They’ll be tears, they’ll be sulks... City have turned his head, and from their perspective I’m sure this has played out just as they’d imagined... I can almost see the smug grin on Peps face as I type... advantage city.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Why are so many on here assuming this is true. I very much doubt it. With a 5 year contract a transfer request makes no difference. Cucurella will be told if an offer is received that Albion will accept until than business as normal.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If he’s handed a request in, if mind you and it’s probably a BIG IF... then try to get 35-40 and let him go... I don’t want mercenary players who haven’t the patience and grace to give us at least a couple of seasons prior to agitating for that ‘dream’ (money, money and more money) move.

Don’t sign long term deals if you’re prepared to minimise the clubs profit on them by acting like a sulky child.

However, if this is made up bollocks then good on Cucu for being prepared to give us one more season.

I wouldn't take the handing in of a transfer request as a mercenary or sulky act on behalf of the player. Cucu was at Barca, the dream of playing for a Pep team would have been with him from a very early age. I wouldn't be sticking my neck out by guessing that, although he's been happy with us, he didn't lie in bed as a kid dreaming of playing for us or GP. There were reports yesterday of City looking elsewhere, handing in a request would just be a way of him and his reps saying, 'Don't go elsewhere. Try to get the deal done. I want to come.' The request would probably see the player foregoing a loyalty bonus, so may be a way of trying to fill some of the gap in the valuations from his own pocket. I shouldn't think that we have a single player in our squad who wouldn't fancy playing for one of the big boys if the opportunity came along. The problem has not been the player. It's the underhand way that City and their pet internet rumour monger have gone about trying to force a bargain. They won't get it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Cucurella is still a Brighton player and City are still unlikely to match Albion’s fee expectations. But agreed if he goes then club will need to spend on a replacement/left sided option. (Looks like they’ve been planning for his exit this summer or next summer as you’d expect anyway - hence interest in Bassey)
As for Bissouma - . Albion bought Caicedo in Feb 2021 and Mwepu last summer in expectation Bissouma would eventually be sold.
Or do you think all of this will take them by surprise ?
Mwepu certainly isn’t a defensive midfielder and nor would you want him to be, makes little sense to me playing our most active goal scoring midfielder in a deeper role. Caceido by trade is CM although granted he can play the deeper role but then your alway losing something. Cucurella was going the minute City made him a target they will pay in the end.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Free Marc Cucurella (from his five year contract)? **** him, it has cost us a mere 15 million and his wages. I don't see TB giving in until his price is met :shrug:

Disclaimer - I am not a big business man and I WOULD cut off my nose to spite my face in this instance. Aren't you glad I don't run the club? :lolol:

If any of today’s ‘news’ I’d true it’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out... I bet Tony is seething.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Because it's laying down a marker for any other low ball offers for our players for all future transfer windows. Fold on this one and a precedent is set for future low ball offers from the big boys.

This,besides City have behaved like complete ********s throughout this business.Firstly telling us how much we will get for our player and unsettling the player.they say the asking price is too high,they sold Zinchenko to Arsenal for 34m so it follows that he`s replacement is a better and therefore more expensive player.City consider Marc as the best LB/LCB/LWB available but they don`t want to pay for him.As far as i am concerned i would have told them to **** off a long time ago,lost all respect for Guardiola i thought he had more class .

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
He only cost us 15m. That's development money nowadays. I'm sure most of this is bored 15 year olds on school holidays nonsense. But If he's thrown his toys out the pram I'd sit him in the reserves and give him the minimum contracted minutes so he can't terminate on a technicality.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

It's not quite the same but this is basically how I play Football Manager. My star players won't leave unless an extravagant bid comes in. Means I'm constantly dealing with unhappy players but damn them all. They're under contract and that's that.

I also would be terrible at a real club.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I can't get upset by him handing in a transfer request. He'll have been advised to do so by an agent attempting to force Bloom's hand.

The only thing that would upset me would be to see him sulking for the next 6 months, but I honestly don't think that'll happen if it's handled properly (as in my post above).

I agree with you.
I'm surprised by how many on here think that a transfer request shifts the balance significantly. I would almost think it's natural for Cucu to show the club that he would like to play for a Champions League team. Who wouldn't want to show professional ambition, and it looks like the deal is coming to crunch time.
However, it makes little difference to Tony Bloom. He has a coach in place who has the emotional intelligence to deal with players and if Cucu stays I'm convinced that after a couple of weeks he'll be fine.
The mistake City have made is selling their only LB already as now they are forced into a move. they need to find a replacement quickly so it's now or never for them in their pursuit of Cucu.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Yep, transfer request handed in, price reduced see ya Cucu

Were you not paying attention when Stephens stormed out of the training ground in his Cayenne and handed in a transfer request? How did that work out?

I swear this Romano is on City's pay roll

Without question Romano is on the pay roll. He's the one stoking the fire - every other media outlet is saying that the deal is off. HE'S the one pushing the agenda.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dunno if I would call it bad advise... the agents represent the player and I think what is best for the player is definitely a move to Manchester City.

Nothing to do with the agent's cut of any transfer business obviously. Agents are looking out for number one not the player

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
He only cost us 15m. That's development money nowadays. I'm sure most of this is bored 15 year olds on school holidays nonsense. But If he's thrown his toys out the pram I'd sit him in the reserves and give him the minimum contracted minutes so he can't terminate on a technicality.

That's childish - as others have said, who wouldn't want to play for the richest team in the country - titles, medals, CL football and a sh*tload of money.

The guy wants out - let him go.. If he's not allowed to go it will send the wrong message to players that the club is looking to sign.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here