Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
If we’re talking about his qualities alone then Marc is easily a £50m+. Especially when you look into what City have paid previously for defenders. Even sensible City fans admit £50m is justified. You’ve only also got to look at the Ben White or Wan Bissaka sales to justify that as a minimum. But given all the other reasons (City really want him, 1 year into a 5 year deal, we do not want and have no reason to sell, City are mega rich, we have no other LB… etc etc) then I’m all for Tony setting a ridiculous fee.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Romano pretends to have taken over the mantle of LFC in the know. He seems to break stories based on rumours about 48 hours after its public knowledge!
Not saying he won’t go to city (Which would be a MASSIVE mistake) but Romano knows about as much as we do.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Romano pretends to have taken over the mantle of LFC in the know. He seems to break stories based on rumours about 48 hours after its public knowledge!
Not saying he won’t go to city (Which would be a MASSIVE mistake) but Romano knows about as much as we do.

Romano knows things, unfortunately. He's not the average Twitter rumour punter.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I’ll believe there’s a grain of truth in this rumour when the ****ing shyster, oops sorry, football correspondent, Duncan Castles announces it.
To think that guy had the audacity to print numerous articles and go on football podcasts saying Edouard was coming here last year was just plain weird, when it become clear it blatantly wasn’t.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Romano knows things, unfortunately. He's not the average Twitter rumour punter.

According to tweeter, they have offered £50m but we are holding out for £70m.
Romano told us we had signed a right back from Aberdeen for £2.5m….. two weeks later we did, but for £6.5m. Let’s wait and see, it’s the old adage if a player wants to go, let him go, whoever he plays for. I would have expected a little more loyalty thou for someone who recently signed a 5 year deal.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Romano doesn’t tend to guess anymore. He did, and got lucky. Now he has a few contacts but mostly knows only to post low risk stuff- he knows how important keeping his reputation is. I’d say there is absolutely truth in this. I really wouldn’t be surprised if City and Cucu’s agent have spoken.

That’s all good. £100m pls Etihad

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Romano told us we had signed a right back from Aberdeen for £2.5m….. two weeks later we did, but for £6.5m. Let’s wait and see, it’s the old adage if a player wants to go, let him go, whoever he plays for. I would have expected a little more loyalty thou for someone who recently signed a 5 year deal.

I would expect 0 loyalty from any player approached by Barca, Real Madrid, Liverpool, City or Bayern tbh.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I would expect 0 loyalty from any player approached by Barca, Real Madrid, Liverpool, City or Bayern tbh.

I imagine Pep is a hero of Cucu’s having been Manager at Barcelona in 2012 when our young hero joined.

If Pep wants you. 99.9% of players will go to him, especially those with Pep’s brand of Barcelona-football in their DNA.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Would you? Could be once in a lifetime opportunity to go to a team that is destined to win trophies rather than one that dreams of winning one. And, in the process, probably tripling your wages.

If you miss the boat it might not come round again. Ask Harry Kane for his views on the subject.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
£70 m , we can play hardball , unless the player starts making it clear he wants to go to city next season . Tripling his salary is quite a big incentive as is probably winning the league & CL football . Difficult to compete with that but hopefully if he goes it will be for far more than £50 M . To get a replacement who can create as many attacking opportunities as him as well as defend well will not be easy .

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
£70 m , we can play hardball , unless the player starts making it clear he wants to go to city next season . Tripling his salary is quite a big incentive as is probably winning the league & CL football . Difficult to compete with that but hopefully if he goes it will be for far more than £50 M . To get a replacement who can create as many attacking opportunities as him as well as defend well will not be easy .

I would surmise that is about right, we hold all the aces in this given the long contract and Bloom is a passionate poker player !

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

That’s the number I had in my head as well. Certainly at least £60M. Naylors tweet saying ‘eye watering’ amounts you’d think means something like that. But we know from Ben White’s agent that the only person who’ll know what the acceptable figure is will be TB…

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My, albeit rookie view, is that Cucurella going is inevitable IF Manchester City offer the right amount (only the board will know so it is pointless discussing it).
The real question is how to move forward without him. The way I see it we either a) throw dollar bills about, like Trump trying to fend off sexual assault cases, to desperately try and replace him like for like b) replace him with a couple of players. One who can fill the left sided defensive center part of Cucurella's game and one who can fill in the left sided offense he provided or c) promote from within - maybe a combination of Clarke/Ostigard/Van Hecke/Cochrane

If it were up to me I would probably go for a combo-deal of b) and c). Maybe add Clarke/Van Hecke and then find a left sided offensive defender to cover and compete with March/Trossard (I though Trossard did well in a similar position towards the end of the season).

Anyway those are my thoughts folks. I am still learning these things but the club seems to have plans so I am pretty comfortable about it.
Forget Van Hecke and Ostigard - they're not lefties. Clarke is a CB, not a LB. Apart from that ........................

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Forget Van Hecke and Ostigard - they're not lefties. Clarke is a CB, not a LB. Apart from that ........................

I am aware. But Webster is dual-footed and could play on the left of the defensive centers with Van Hecke/Ostigard/Veltman on the right. That is what I was getting at. Cucurella fills LCB/LB/LWB duties. They could fill the LCB by moving Webster across and we bring in a new LB/LWB. Does that make sense?
I do see ya point about them not giving the same mid-game flexibility though. Can't shift a 3 to a 4 to a 5 as easily.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here