Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Maradona ... bizarre ...

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I can't quite get my head round this... It reminds me of my recurring nightmare that i've left my current job and have gone back to work for Sainsburys - it keeps getting more vivid the more I experience it...

Maradona.. arguably up there amongst the 2 or 3 best players in the world ever. But also the b*stard who destroyed a 10 year old's dreams in the summer of 1986.
I got into football late in my childhood... literally Mexico '86 was the first football I paid an interest in other than the '83 cup final and seeing that handball allowed was devastating for me... I couldn't understand why it happened and there was no logic.. I cried for hours. It was a harsh introduction to me that if football guarantees you anything, it guarantees disappointment. The next day i saw the other goal he scored.. all geniuses have flaws I suppose...

I should be over it now of course (!).. but the thought of cheering and applauding the dream destroyer is a bit alien at the moment. Does it slightly stick in anyone elses throat? - (or up their nose - pun intended!)

Is there a fence anywhere local?

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i wasnt around in 86, so it didnt really affect me. even so, i cant imagine clapping him, and hopefully, wont have to

Stumpy Tim

Greatest player I've ever seen live, TV or FIFA on the Playstation. Would be amazing to have him involved at the Albion - certainly make us more attractive to potential players.

It's not going to happen though is it...

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
THAT game against England, (discounting the hand of god), just showed the level of football he played on his day!

AWESOME!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Apart from the game against us - don't forget the SECOND goal btw - he single-handedly beat Belgium in the semi-final.

He also dragged Napoli to the title in Italy, again, almost single-handedly

He was the best player I have EVER seen and purely from a footballing perspective, is a LEGEND

I still can't quite believe the Albion connections though and am just waiting for the punch-line of some ultra-elaborate wind-up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't give a f*** that Maradona was a legend as a player. My only concern is whether or not I'd trust him with my football club.

And the resounding answer to that, for me, is NO

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Easy 10 said:
I don't give a f*** that Maradona was a legend as a player. My only concern is whether or not I'd trust him with my football club.

And the resounding answer to that, for me, is [size10]NO[.[/size]

:clap:

Wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Which wouldn't be far.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
There's no substance to this story – prod it and it falls over. Pretty much the most concrete thing about it is Ardiles saying "I'd quite like to stay involved in football."

Well, bugger me.

It's like Pete Doherty mentioning he likes a drink of an evening, and the press turning this into a "Doherty bids to buy Guinness brewery" sensation.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It has to be a big NO.

This sounds just like how the 'deal' at QPR started, with a famous ex-International, Ramon Diaz, turning up. Rumours were flying around about him perhaps taking over as manager, or investing, or heading up an investment.

A year later and the South Americans have total control of the board, players are being signed from South America without the managers knowledge (and they are gash). Oh, and a former director is now in jail and has refused bail as he feels he is safer in there than on the outside.

That's without even starting on my views of Maradona and Ardiles. All in all, if they come over looking to talk, I would offer a very short answer ....:salute:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
safe option would be to hope he dosent come here

but you only live once and i would love to see maradonna here:lolol: , of course if he will desroy us then my view is ever so slightly changed!

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Easy 10 said:

And the resounding answer to that, for me, is NO
Well said, 100% spot on, would be like trusting Bestie to run a pub.

E

enigma

Storer68 said:
now that is just stupid.

Great players are great men - can you imagine Maradonna and Shilton shaking hands after the QF in 86 inb the same way that moore and pele did in 1970.

How is that stupid? Whatever his faults as a person, he was an incredible player. You're stupid if you think that his cheating doesn't make him a great player- his qualities as a person don't come into it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But its exactly his qualities as a person that concerns us enigma. The fact that he was one of the greatest players the world has ever seen is a complete irrelevence in this situation.

E

enigma

Easy 10 said:
But its exactly his qualities as a person that concerns us enigma. The fact that he was one of the greatest players the world has ever seen is a complete irrelevence in this situation.

Concerniing the club, I agree wholeheartedly, I think the bloke is a few sandwiches short of a picnic. I wouldn't want him anywhere near it, and I think there are a lot of ex-players that are richer.

But noone can say that his personality means he's any less of a footballer.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I am sure this is just some pissed-up story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here