Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mansfield fans asking for our support in 'Haslam Out' protest on Saturday

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Afternoon all.

Mansfield fans are going through the same kind of nightmares as we did - and they are asking for our support in a protest against owner Haslam on Saturday. Sadly they're not as united as we were, and many seem a bit disillusioned - a bit of good old fashioned Brighton fans' solidarity may well be just the boost they need. I'm sure the message below will stir many horrible memories.....Haslam paid £55.25 less for their club than Archer did for ours! And when their own stewards try and stop their protests you know things are seriously pear shaped....

They are bringing some 'Haslam Out' posters and banners down and it'd be good if friendly souls could take a few in to our parts of the ground. There will be some in the Evening Star around 1pm and I'll take some into the North Stand. If a couple of South Standers could pick some up and take them in that'd be good. As we know, solidarity works. Let's show 'em some (and then stuff 'em 6-0 again!)

Here's a bit from Will from Stags Fans For Change

January 2008 sees Mansfield Town Football Club at a low ebb both in league position and also in the events off the field.
The club has lurched from controversy to crisis throughout the year with owner and Chief Executive, Keith Haslam, making the decision during the autumn to stop attending home matches due to the abuse he was receiving and then stepping down as Chief Executive in December. He has been replaced by a management consultant who says his remit is to prepare the club for sale despite the rejection of a bid for the club reportedly for up to £3 million from a consortium led by the club chairman. This offer was not for the land that the club stands on, simply for the club, and included a reported £200,000 a year rent. This was simply not enough for the man who bought the club for £1 more than fourteen years ago and who has taken significant amounts of money out of the club for many years.
The takeover was initially agreed early in the season and dragged on for many weeks with the promise of completion almost on a weekly basis until it was finally rejected in the last week of November. This led to a joint statement released by the supporters’ association and ISAs which declared that ‘enough was enough’ and called upon Haslam to ‘hand over the club to people that care’. Round Two of the FA cup presented the club’s fans with the opportunity to show their feelings during the live game on the BBC against Harrogate Railway; unfortunately the Mansfield Town stewards manning the turnstiles refused any fans permission to bring in banners, placards or flags for health and safety reasons. We thank Brighton and Hove Albion for their understanding in allowing fans the opportunity to bring their flags into the Withdean.
So where do we stand at the start of 2008? It is fair to say that fans are divided with some boycotting all home games, other fans attending games but refusing to buy anything from the club whilst others believe that the club can only survive the next year with their full support. We look back on your experiences at both the Goldstone and your present ground and realise that success can only come from a new consortium or new found unity from the supporters. At present neither appears to be on the horizon.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
we should let them win the game as well, these guys could really do with a home tie against a big club :thumbsup:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Afternoon all.

Mansfield fans are going through the same kind of nightmares as we did - and they are asking for our support in a protest against owner Haslam on Saturday. Sadly they're not as united as we were, and many seem a bit disillusioned - a bit of good old fashioned Brighton fans' solidarity may well be just the boost they need. I'm sure the message below will stir many horrible memories.....Haslam paid £55.25 less for their club than Archer did for ours! And when their own stewards try and stop their protests you know things are seriously pear shaped....

They are bringing some 'Haslam Out' posters and banners down and it'd be good if friendly souls could take a few in to our parts of the ground. There will be some in the Evening Star around 1pm and I'll take some into the North Stand. If a couple of South Standers could pick some up and take them in that'd be good. As we know, solidarity works. Let's show 'em some (and then stuff 'em 6-0 again!)

Here's a bit from Will from Stags Fans For Change

January 2008 sees Mansfield Town Football Club at a low ebb both in league position and also in the events off the field.
The club has lurched from controversy to crisis throughout the year with owner and Chief Executive, Keith Haslam, making the decision during the autumn to stop attending home matches due to the abuse he was receiving and then stepping down as Chief Executive in December. He has been replaced by a management consultant who says his remit is to prepare the club for sale despite the rejection of a bid for the club reportedly for up to £3 million from a consortium led by the club chairman. This offer was not for the land that the club stands on, simply for the club, and included a reported £200,000 a year rent. This was simply not enough for the man who bought the club for £1 more than fourteen years ago and who has taken significant amounts of money out of the club for many years.
The takeover was initially agreed early in the season and dragged on for many weeks with the promise of completion almost on a weekly basis until it was finally rejected in the last week of November. This led to a joint statement released by the supporters’ association and ISAs which declared that ‘enough was enough’ and called upon Haslam to ‘hand over the club to people that care’. Round Two of the FA cup presented the club’s fans with the opportunity to show their feelings during the live game on the BBC against Harrogate Railway; unfortunately the Mansfield Town stewards manning the turnstiles refused any fans permission to bring in banners, placards or flags for health and safety reasons. We thank Brighton and Hove Albion for their understanding in allowing fans the opportunity to bring their flags into the Withdean.
So where do we stand at the start of 2008? It is fair to say that fans are divided with some boycotting all home games, other fans attending games but refusing to buy anything from the club whilst others believe that the club can only survive the next year with their full support. We look back on your experiences at both the Goldstone and your present ground and realise that success can only come from a new consortium or new found unity from the supporters. At present neither appears to be on the horizon.

Is this really the same as the Archer/Stanley asset strip or what happened at Doncaster? Sounds like an incompetent and unpleasant chairman but there are plenty around sadly.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just out of interest,Field Mill has had three new stands built in the last five years. Where did the money come for that ? :bigwave:

Jan 2, 2008
Hi all,
Firstly you are absolutely right in thinking that our esteemed chairman has invested a significant amount of the profits from the club into building work - he bought a beautiful villa in Portugal and had a huge extension built on his large house in the Peak district! It was partially funded by a grant from the Football Foundation, however, the majority of the funds came from the sale of the land at the back of the North Stand to those who built the stadium. If you want a history of Haslam (which admittedly only goes up to 2005) then www.teammansfield.co.uk has a section called the Haslam years. It might come as a surprise to many that Haslam has been "at it" for over a decade!! It's only when things get as bad as they are now do people take an interest and even though there are those who will not join in the anti Haslam protests or call for him to go.
The man also bought a new training ground for £580,000 put the deeds into the name of one his personal companies and forgot to build the facility! Anyone buying the club from him has to agree to let that debt go by the wayside. We have had an offer reportedly for £3 million turned down just for the club (not for the land) because it didn't include enough money up front so we are just waiting for the ten points deduction as the clud slides into administration.

So we come to your temporary home at almost the lowest of ebbs we are 91st in the league only one striker has scored more than four goals (Mickey Boulding) and he has just been signed off for a month. His replacement only lasted fifteen minutes after he was brought on so we have the wonderful Ian Holmes signed for £7,500 from Matlock Town to scare you lot witless on Saturday.

We do use your experience as a way of showing Mansfield fans that we can work our way out of the predicament where we are almost betting whether administration or relegation will come first and would be really grateful if you could help us on Saturday with one of our protests.

Attila has flagged up some of the idea but we would be really grateful if 9 of you who stand / sit together would be prepared to don the blue and white T shirts which spell HASLAM OUT? They are suitably large to fit our fans with enough clothing to keep alive in sunny Nottinghamshire. The idea would to unveil them after about twenty minutes to much applause and cheering from the estimated 320 fans who are making the trip!
Any volunteers?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Do you know if the Mansfield fans are being stuck with the family stand as Northwich Victoria was last year? If so then you're really gonna need 9 from the family stand or at the most the family stand end of the the North Stand or Block A or B in the South Stand for your fans to see it.

Seeing as it got the official blessing of the club on the tannoy system at half time yesterday can I make a suggestion?

How about 9 Albion fans or 9 Mansfield fans come onto the pitch at half-time and have 5 mins to explain what it's all about. Then...a quick lap of honour with a Haslam OUT flag and t-shirts. Guaranteed to get the Albion support. AND a GREAT photo opportunity.

EDIT - best of luck with all this. We know EXACTLY what you're going through.

Last edited:

The Family Stand is way too far from the Mansfield end.

Isn't this a job for H or J Block?

I'm sure there must be nine people who want to STAND UP and milk the applause that will greet them.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Family Stand is way too far from the Mansfield end.

Isn't this a job for H or J Block?

I'm sure there must be nine people who want to STAND UP and milk the applause that will greet them.

But Ed.....my question is whether the club is doing what they did last year with the Northwich Victoria fans...that is putting them in the family stand overspill right by the disabled section. If so, then you'll need the t-shirt wearers near the Mansfield fans.

area2704

Dec 5, 2007
Just wanted to thank the Brighton Fans in advance for any support that is forth coming on Saturday.
I was at the old Goldstone ground on 9/11/1996 when an army of supporters came up the street and burst through the gates, came marching across the pitch and tried to climb into the directors box. I always remember everyone mixed together in the away end for the second half, it was a fantastic atmoshphere, everyone shouting Belloti out. A few fans made a point of thanking the Stags fans for their support, so again thankyou and sing at the top of your voices
"HASLAM OUT, HASLAM OUT".
We really need to get rid of this money sucking cowboy!!!

P.S. Where is the best place for a good pint and chance to exchange stories before the game.

But Ed.....my question is whether the club is doing what they did last year with the Northwich Victoria fans...that is putting them in the family stand overspill right by the disabled section. If so, then you'll need the t-shirt wearers near the Mansfield fans.

Agreed. Does anyone know the answer? I'm assuming that the Stags haven't [yet] fallen to the level of Northwich Victoria and that Saturday's game will attract enough fans to cause the Hove end to be brought into normal match day use. But I may be wrong, of course.

Edit:
I've put a question on Ask The Club.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just wanted to thank the Brighton Fans in advance for any support that is forth coming on Saturday.
I was at the old Goldstone ground on 9/11/1996 when an army of supporters came up the street and burst through the gates, came marching across the pitch and tried to climb into the directors box. I always remember everyone mixed together in the away end for the second half, it was a fantastic atmoshphere, everyone shouting Belloti out. A few fans made a point of thanking the Stags fans for their support, so again thankyou and sing at the top of your voices
"HASLAM OUT, HASLAM OUT".
We really need to get rid of this money sucking cowboy!!!

P.S. Where is the best place for a good pint and chance to exchange stories before the game.

The Sportsman bar is very friendly. Been described by some as more like a non-league feel to the bar. You will go past it on your way (and a very long way it is too!) to the away end. Bring some binoculars and spare a thought for us. We have to sit in Withdean every week!!!

Edit:
I've put a question on Ask The Club.
Thanks to the magic of NSC, I have been tipped off "by a reliable source" that Mansfield fans are condemned to watch the game from the Hove end.

They deserve whatever crumbs of comfort we can give them on Saturday - so let's find 9 volunteers in H or J Block to wear the teeshirts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here