Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man Utd pathetic

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
All a bit twee if you ask me.

Either put up (i.e. boycott matches etc) or shut up.

The green and gold campaign is just protesting for the prawn sandwich brigade / part time fan.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The same fans complaining about the Glazers are those who have enjoyed - and brag about -the successes brought about by all the extra money injected into their club some time back when they floated on the stock market. Ownership by someone like the Glaziers is just the inevitable conclusion, as once they went public they were always for sale to the highest bidder.

Now while there might be a few genuine fans who never wanted the club to float its shares in the first place, the vast majority were quite happy to reap the rewards, they're just whinging now the time has come to take the downside. Tough shit

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
the way i see it is, as mentioned previously, they have another team in FC United who adhere to ethics not seen anywhere else in english football.

they stand as an effective, productive and powerful boycott function, yet most of these fans don't have the bollocks to watch them ... many Rags thought that FC United were not supporting Manchester United by defecting. That to me sounds like they mis-understand the premise of FC.

Boycotting the games at OT is not a problem for season ticket holders anyway, they can flog their tickets to the Japanese, Irish and Norwegians who will pay mega-bucks to go to a game at OT, but remain on the season ticket register.

Maybe it us and our - rightly so - feeling of 'you don't know how good you've got it', but they're an arrogant bunch of twats and frankly, i think most of the football fan community in this country is laughing at them.

Agreed. On a side issue, I personally find FC United to be a complete pile of cack. The number of Greater Manchester clubs who could do with more support, why didn't they disperse themselves amongst the likes of Stockport and Oldham?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I don know which side of the fence I'm on with this one but one good thing to come of it is the publicity it gets. When a "smaller" club goes through these financial/board type issues no one really gives a damn in the wider audience but now its the great Manchester United everyone wants to listen.
It all very well get rid of the Glaziers but will it really remove the debt, they are shrewd business men and you can guarantee they wont take the debt with them it will remain with Man United plc so would you be willing to pick up the debt?

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
Agreed. On a side issue, I personally find FC United to be a complete pile of cack. The number of Greater Manchester clubs who could do with more support, why didn't they disperse themselves amongst the likes of Stockport and Oldham?

So you don't agree at all then...?

The point is that FC United is (an extension of) the same club, thus they are still supporting Man Utd, without giving any money to Glazer et al.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
So what's the answer? Should fans just accept that the owners can use the football club for whatever purpose they want? And no-one should murmur any criticism, as long as the team keeps winning?

Surely, as football fans, as long as the team plays good football and keeps winning, we would have nothing to complain about?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think all the top clubs are owned by someone or other but the difference here is the amount the Glaziers had to borrow to invest and how that affects future investment in the playing side. Cannot see how you can stop this sort of thing happening unless you make a special case for football clubs and the way one can invest in them.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Disagree, FC are a VERY visible thorn in the side of MUFC, and they get a lot of press in the MEN, and also the United fanzines.

Taggart himself has even turned the hairdryer on them, and the profile would have been far less had an extra 500 fans supported Stockport, Oldham, Bury et al.

I would also suggest you go to one of their away games before dissing them, it's a fantastic experience.

hacienda989

Jan 22, 2010
They shouldn't spend out of their capabilities, with the millions that they make through gate receipts and merchandise they should be able to pay their players. If they can't then they need a new chairman who will oversee monies sensibly

err... isn't the point that the Glazers who own the club are just taking all the money made to either pay the debts they made by borrowing heavily to buy the club or to take it out in directors loans that they'll probably never pay back?

... why didn't they disperse themselves amongst the likes of Stockport and Oldham?

Perhaps they don't come from Stockport or Oldham, perhaps they don't want to 'disperse' themselves, perhaps they want to enjoy going to the match with their friends and family and get change from a tenner and watch players playing for the shirt not the bank balance, just perhaps, like

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
Disagree, FC are a VERY visible thorn in the side of MUFC, and they get a lot of press in the MEN, and also the United fanzines.

I would also suggest you go to one of their away games before dissing them, it's a fantastic experience.

if you'd have been with us when we interviewed them for TSLR last year (and they did look after us that day, they really did) there was a strange aura of ... well, i don't know what, but it was a bit odd, there was an air of arrogance regarding their place in manchester football, in that they only recognised the 'city' boundaries and discounted themselves as potentially taking much needed support from the greater manchester pro-teams. they argued that if bury are struggling for support then that's their problem and therefore we don't give a shit if we build a ground in north manchester.

in reality, i'm still confused 18 months on! another visit is on the cards, el pres, kev, please come along for the ride.

but let's not shoot down the people who percieve to see through the 'bullshit', it's a very volatile and complex concept this FC thing.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
The same fans complaining about the Glazers are those who have enjoyed - and brag about -the successes brought about by all the extra money injected into their club some time back when they floated on the stock market. Ownership by someone like the Glaziers is just the inevitable conclusion, as once they went public they were always for sale to the highest bidder.

Now while there might be a few genuine fans who never wanted the club to float its shares in the first place, the vast majority were quite happy to reap the rewards, they're just whinging now the time has come to take the downside. Tough shit

Spot on, though I respect their right to protest.

To complain about the reality of the situation that has befallen them in recent months, is to have issue with the nature of a football club who floats on the SE and therefore to express a desire for a purer club, even if it is at a cost.

In other words, the Glazer type situ' is a permanent possibility for a(n ex-) PLC club and to complain is to reject the glory they so gloatingly celebrated these past 18 years or so.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis

:clap:

Spot on!

Theyve brought it on themselves by becoming a PLC.
They are not exactly a poverty stricken club are they? They are supposed to be in huge debt, but they still go and buy players for multi millon pound prices!

The mind boggles!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That's the question I'm asking. But before sanctimoneously having a pop at their fans, we have to consider that the price some of them might pay for the sort of actions Albion fans undertook in the 90s would mean them never seeing their club play again.

It is probably fair to say that the actions taken by Albion fans were because they feared that they wouldn't have a club to follow if they sat around and did nothing. This is hardly the same position that Man United find themselves in, although they are currently pretty badly run, we are constantly being reminded that they are the biggest club in the World. We found a saviour in the form of Dick Knight, it would take someone in a completely different league to turn Man United around.

Sep 20, 2005
How come when anyone else uses these colours they are described as green and yellow, but when fans of Man Utd use the exact same colours, they get called green and gold?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here