Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man Utd: negative spend of 1bn euros in last 10 years

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A lot of the billion was spent in buying the players as brands. Pogba's shirt sales raised £190m in his first 3 weeks at the club being an example. It's a positive spend in many ways.

Club’s make 10% to 15% on shirt sales, the lions share goes to Nike, Adidas etc. Lots of football finance pieces have always explained this.

It’s urban myth from fans of Manure, Real and Juve that subsequent “merchandise sales paid for the transfer”.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Interesting how similar our data are to Palace's. I seem to recall a Dullard graphic from a couple of years ago suggesting they pay much higher wages, though.

I predict the data will tell a different story in a couple of years.

Not that I want to see them go, but once the sales of the likes of Biss, Lamptey, Sanchez and/or [insert any number of quality players here] hit the positive column, to be replaced within the squad or by a £7/8/9m wonderkid, our net spend is only heading one way.

Mind you, Palace will be getting a MASSIVE bid for Wilf soon won't they, and that Gallagher kid must be worth a bomb :dunky:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Club’s make 10% to 15% on shirt sales, the lions share goes to Nike, Adidas etc. Lots of football finance pieces have always explained this.

It’s urban myth from fans of Manure, Real and Juve that subsequent “merchandise sales paid for the transfer”.

That was 20-30 million just for Pogba's first 3 weeks shirt sales then.

Man Utd shares went up 9% within hours after they bought Ronaldo back and settled up 6%. Roughly adding £120million to the net worth of the company. It's mainly the social media presence

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Not that I want to see them go, but once the sales of the likes of Biss, Lamptey, Sanchez and/or [insert any number of quality players here] hit the positive column, to be replaced within the squad or by a £7/8/9m wonderkid, our net spend is only heading one way.

Mind you, Palace will be getting a MASSIVE bid for Wilf soon won't they, and that Gallagher kid must be worth a bomb :dunky:

Gallagher may well be next academy player Chelsea sell on. Unlike other big clubs have sold young players on for huge sums. I think income in last year from these sales in region of 90m

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

MU announced Ronaldo returning, their share price rose £210m within hours. Glazers then sold 8% of their holding for £185m which the day before Ronaldo was likely worth about £150-160m. This is the problem MU managers face, signings are being made for non-footballing reasons.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Have we really earned £150M from player sales?? Seems a lot! Obviously Ben White makes up a big chunk but I'm struggling to think of where the rest comes from...

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

Olice , Eze , Mitchell all under 23 all worth a fair amount….will BHA get much for Bliss with the end of his contract coming up.

Both clubs have strong academies so the future looks bright for both IMO

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That was 20-30 million just for Pogba's first 3 weeks shirt sales then.

Man Utd shares went up 9% within hours after they bought Ronaldo back and settled up 6%. Roughly adding £120million to the net worth of the company. It's mainly the social media presence

How does the NYSE paper market capitalisation of Manure help the club in any practical way?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So in the last decade our net spend on transfers is greater than Real Madrid.

Also greater than Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, Roma, Monaco, Ajax, Porto, Benfica.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Have we really earned £150M from player sales?? Seems a lot! Obviously Ben White makes up a big chunk but I'm struggling to think of where the rest comes from...

Not sure when the number crunching goes up to, but before Burn, by my estimate, Ulloa £9M, Knockaert £10M, Jahanbakhsh £4.5M, Mooy £4M, Sam Baldock £3M, Connor Goldson £3M, Ollie Norwood £2M, Will Buckley £2M, Liam Bridcutt £3.5M.

Makes up about £41M of it, and then I reckon there is another £15M or so through a lot of £500k to £1.5M sales of players like;
Dale Stephens, Mathias Norman, Viktor Gyokeres, Elliot Bennet, Craig Noone, Ashley Barnes, Stephen Dobbie, Jamie Murphy, Jiri Skalak, Gaeten Bong, Anders Dreyer, Ales Mateju, David Button, Percy Tau.

I suspect loan transfer fees come into it too, in which case, Knockaert £4M and Duffy £2M would be the most significant individual ones, but obviously an awful lot of loan fees of smaller amounts, and sales of some U23 players that didn't quite make the grade for low fees. I reckon then that it must include Burns fee, and then it is close enough to account for the unknown actual value of transfers, as the club never really confirm them.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not sure when the number crunching goes up to, but before Burn, by my estimate, Ulloa £9M, Knockaert £10M, Jahanbakhsh £4.5M, Mooy £4M, Sam Baldock £3M, Connor Goldson £3M, Ollie Norwood £2M, Will Buckley £2M, Liam Bridcutt £3.5M.

Makes up about £41M of it, and then I reckon there is another £15M or so through a lot of £500k to £1.5M sales of players like;
Dale Stephens, Mathias Norman, Viktor Gyokeres, Elliot Bennet, Craig Noone, Ashley Barnes, Stephen Dobbie, Jamie Murphy, Jiri Skalak, Gaeten Bong, Anders Dreyer, Ales Mateju, David Button, Percy Tau.

I suspect loan transfer fees come into it too, in which case, Knockaert £4M and Duffy £2M would be the most significant individual ones, but obviously an awful lot of loan fees of smaller amounts, and sales of some U23 players that didn't quite make the grade for low fees. I reckon then that it must include Burns fee, and then it is close enough to account for the unknown actual value of transfers, as the club never really confirm them.

Ben White?

Ignore; it’s early.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Olice , Eze , Mitchell all under 23 all worth a fair amount….will BHA get much for Bliss with the end of his contract coming up.

Palace’s player pipeline is years behind Brighton’s. You even got any loan players out playing at Championship clubs or similar level? Think we had about a dozen at last count.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'm not entirely sure 2 players that cost palace £26m and a Brentford academy player who wanted to stay in London after the academy closed down, is in the spirit of the thread.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Palace’s player pipeline is years behind Brighton’s. You even got any loan players out playing at Championship clubs or similar level? Think we had about a dozen at last count.

I agree we are a couple of years behind but it’s getting there, and the 17 year old thar came on as sub on Saturday and the two on the bench are testament to that.

Not looking to argue just stating that clubs with academies will always have one or two in the pipeline.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
£13m revenue from Ronaldo shirts. Add increased club sponsorship and a 2.5% increase in Man Utd social media base.
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] may correct me.
It would only be relevant if that increased shirt sales by the figure to cover his fee. If the same amount of people are buying shirts but putting Ronaldo on the back as opposed to other players youre not generating extra money. In fact you might generate less as I assume his contract/rights deal might mean he gets more of a percentage than other players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would only be relevant if that increased shirt sales by the figure to cover his fee. If the same amount of people are buying shirts but putting Ronaldo on the back as opposed to other players youre not generating extra money. In fact you might generate less as I assume his contract/rights deal might mean he gets more of a percentage than other players.

Plus the fact the Megastore has always knocked out Ronaldo tat.
All of which would have been removed from the shelves had he singed for City.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here