Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man Utd call for European revamp

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

United were dumped out of the competition by AC Milan
Manchester United want the format of the Champions League changed to help more big clubs reach the last eight.
United lost in the first knockout stage this season, as did Real Madrid, Barcelona and holders Porto.

United chief executive David Gill said: "At the moment we effectively have a random draw after the group stage.

"Maybe we should use a system where the holders are rated number one and they play the 16th ranked team, number two versus 15, and so on."

Gill is concerned that the competition will lose some of its pulling power if the 'glamour' clubs go out early.

He added: "It's not good for the big clubs, not good for TV and sponsors if there are no Spanish clubs in the quarter-finals.

:lolol:

And whose fault is it that they went out in the knockout stage?

There's even more comical drivel from Arsehole Wanker on this subject:

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, whose side also exited the competition at the first knockout phase, is another calling for changes.

He said: "You can't afford to have Real Madrid and Manchester United - big clubs who invest so much money - going out in the last 16.

"You will have a revolt if it continues like that.

Jesus why don't they just hand out the cheques at the beginning of the season as that its quite obviously all that they are worried about. Then we wouldn't have to suffer the indignity of teams playing a football match

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dear oh dear, next we will be having a similar competion where on club becomes the World Super Bowl Champions - NB only open to participation of USA teams.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
ManUre and ARSEnal might be moaning BUT are UEFA listening?
7713455829.gif

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
UEFA are incapable of addressing serious issues in football, they appear solely driven by money, that makes those crazy suggestions even more likely to be considered.

European club football has taken a nose dive in my estimation since they scrapped the Cup Winners Cup and made the format of the Champions League an almost surefire guarantee that only the richest clubs prospered. What we need is a communist take over of UEFA, that will teach em...

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I agree that the competition would be better by making sure that the 'better' sides are in the later stages, but they should do that by making it the 'CHAMPIONS' league, with only Champions.

And even then Man U would still be f*cked:lolol:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I hate the moaning f***ing Mancs-why do they think that we all want to see them doing well in Europe? I enjoy every goal scored against them in European competitions-especially the ones at Old Trafford that knock them out.

Simple solution: Join Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelski Arsenhole and a few others, form your 'Super League' and f*** off into oblivion because real football fans are sick of your moaning.

You Mancs and Gooners do not have a divine right to progressing to the latter stages of a competition that you're not good enough for.

Last edited:

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Manure Scum United and Arsenal will never be happy unless they have something to moan about

Minghawk

Jul 5, 2003
i bet they're really f***ed off that Greece won Euro 2004.

'That's just not on - surely England, Spain or Italy should have won, I know, lets change the rules....'

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I was always under the impression that cups should be decided on which teams win games of football. Clearly Man Utd feel differently to me here.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hey I've got an idea. They should keep the system as it is but the clubs should be 'designated'. All the part-time teams of Norwegian herring fishermen and east European prostitute-smugglers are designated as 'Group'. Teams like Everton (should they qualify) are designated '2nd Round'. Arsenal, Man U, and Liverpool would be designated 'quarter final' or perhaps 'semi-final' and Chelsea might get a 'Final' designation.

Matches are then played as now, but here's the beauty of the system - no matter who wins the 'designated' team goes through! No more Man U being knocked out early because they're not as big as they think they are! Everybody wins! (Well, except the teams that knock out the big sides because they're better than them - but they're poorer and haven't got such large fan bases so they don't count).

So how are these designations set? Performances? Past records? No, nothing so egalitarian: they are simply auctioned to the highest bidder. So if you've got a lot of money you can probably guarantee getting to the semi-final at worst.

There you go, problem solved. Big corporation football at it's finest.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Brovian said:
Hey I've got an idea.
There you go, problem solved. Big corporation football at it's finest.

That's a good idea. Could the Albion perhaps spend millions of pounds of money that we don't have to get ourselves a place in the champions league? I know we can't afford it so we'll have to go into administration, but if UEFA fine us ten points from the group stage, it won't matter so long as we get ourselves far enough in debt to guarantee us at least a quater or semi-final place...

I like it. This way we won't even have to bother about playing in the turgid premier league either. Genius!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
captainmorganrum said:
Gill is concerned that the competition will lose some of its pulling power if the 'glamour' clubs go out early.
[/B]

If the competition is losing some of its pulling power it is probably because people are bored of seeing Juventus/AC/Real and Manure all the time; isn't it?

The novelty is wearing off for the Champions League; I suspect. I know quite often now I cant be arsed to watch the mid week games when before I used to.

When the TV companies and sponsors wake up to the fact its getting boring and they aren't getting the returns they hoped for things might change but I think we're in for a few more years of this sort of thing yet.

Perhaps they should televise the Sussex Senior Cup & RuR Cup instead. :) That would be good (especially for those of us from Ringmer;) )

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Seeding might suit ManU but it wouldn't help Arsenal at all. With their record they'd be bottom seeds all the time and have to play Milan, Juventus or Real Madrid in the first knockout round.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Jesus H Corbett. Its not enough that any old Tom Dick and Harry can get into the C L now (yes United - you "qualified" for this seasons C L after finishing THIRD last season, 15 points behind the actual Champions). No, now they also want the draws weighted in the "big clubs" favour because they've decided they're not too keen on this getting-knocked-out-before-the-quarter-finals malarky. Obviously we already knew that the likes of Man U are run by a bunch of conceited, arrogant suits who couldn't give a flying f*** at a rolling donut about anything other than their own selfish requirements. But with Gills comments here, they've even managed to surpass themselves. This is just off the scale.

And as for Wenger - his comments are simply laughable. "A revolt" ? Piss off Wenger you french prick, the only thing REVOLTING are your half-baked theories that UEFA and the rest of Europe should bend over backwards to "help the best teams" reach the latter stages of the competition. The whole thing is just an obscene joke. They've already stripped away the very essence of the European Cup, with this overly bloated format stuffed to the rafters with also-rans living on past glories, all in honour of the big €€€. Well f*** it. If they start introducing seedings, or further tampering with the format to "help the best teams", then I'm switching off completely. Its not football any more.

They can poke it.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As I have said many times before. Is this about BHA?

No?

Then I really really really could not give a monkeys fcuking !!!!ing flying wanking fcuking toss.

I really couldnt.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Doesn't it annoy you though ?
I can't help it. I was SEETHING when I read it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here