Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man U fans smashing up Brighton ?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
They still had a reputation when we played them at the Goldstone in 1980 but there was surprisingly little trouble. Nothing more than the odd skirmish.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Worked with a Man United Fan about 8 years ago who remembered going to the Goldstone and turning over an ice cream van in Hove Park hardly a full scale riot!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought that video was at Scarborough where Manu played a friendly and the worst trouble when Manu went down was at Wolverhampton I seem to recall.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Spoke to some coppers in the pub at Villa a couple of seasons ago and they reckoned United were the worse they have at Villa.Apparently they played there in the cup a couple of times in recent years and it was a nightmare.

Dec 19, 2011
Hove
I remember Man U playing Bournemouth in the FA Cup a couple of times - don't know if there was trouble. Perhaps he was mixing up his Brightons and his Bournemouths ?

Man U were beaten by Bournemouth in the FA Cup in 1985 which would have probably cause a riot, but I don't think relegation had anything to do with it, maybe he was lumping this incident in with violence in 1970s. This is what Wikepedia has t say on the subject:

"The Red Army was the name given to Manchester United away support during the 1970s. Most notoriously in 1974–75, when United had been relegated from the top flight of English football and played one season in the Second Division, the Red Army caused mayhem at grounds up and down the country, visiting stadiums where they would at times outnumber the home support"

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
It all seems very straightforward to me... Man Utd were relegated in 1974 to Division Two where they played Southampton, a South Coast football club approximately 50 miles West of Brighton, a team that was at the time in Division Three and managed by one Peter Taylor, who once visited Burton Menswear in Manchester to buy a rather natty two piece brown suit. United fans smashed up Bournemouth which is a South Coast town, but that was Leeds United and in 1990, some 15 years later.

We can be certain that Brighton and Man U played each other six times in Hove between 1980 and 1983 (including one FA Cup and one Friendly match) and that at some point in the 20th century Man U fans smashed up a seaside town.

I think the facts tell you everything you need to know. :mad:

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
I was in a bar in Zante in June 1990 and I got talking to this bloke who was pissed up. We got talking and when I told him I came from Brighton he got very emotional and offered to buy me a pint and when the barman brought it over the guy gave it to me and said sorry for what we did to you town. I thought what the f***, but didn't want to say anything because he was very pissed.
This went on for a couple of hours and after he had paid for the 4/5 pints I asked him what he meant by smashing our town up.
It turned out, he was a Leeds fan and got us muddled up with Bournmouth and a few weeks before they had a riot down there.
I didn't have the heart to tell him.

Dandyman

In London village.
They still had a reputation when we played them at the Goldstone in 1980 but there was surprisingly little trouble. Nothing more than the odd skirmish.

This. The Manks did not play at the Goldstone until March 1980.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I was in a bar in Zante in June 1990 and I got talking to this bloke who was pissed up. We got talking and when I told him I came from Brighton he got very emotional and offered to buy me a pint and when the barman brought it over the guy gave it to me and said sorry for what we did to you town. I thought what the f***, but didn't want to say anything because he was very pissed.
This went on for a couple of hours and after he had paid for the 4/5 pints I asked him what he meant by smashing our town up.
It turned out, he was a Leeds fan and got us muddled up with Bournmouth and a few weeks before they had a riot down there.
I didn't have the heart to tell him.

But Leeds did smash our town up a few weeks before they smashed up Bournemouth didn't they ?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Think it was 1980....the bit I remember was a ManU fan attacking a policeman on his horse, in Hove Park. He was trying to pull the policeman off while kicking the horse and the copper was retaliating by whacking him with his truncheon. Was a load of them charging around like looneys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here