Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man rips head from Hitler wax figure in Berlin

Very different. Hindley has little to do with Britains History. Hitler is a LARGE part of their history, whether they like it or not. Whenever I have been to Austria and Germany I have been astonished by their reluctance to almost accept it happened.
I think there IS a parallel between Hindley and Hitler - and Giraffe has highlighted it at the end of his message.

It's the reluctance to accept that these things can happen.

No German under the age of 85 can be held personally responsible in any way for Hitler's rise to power - but, from outside that country, we nevertheless still feel able to detect characteristics in the German make-up that we find troublesome.

Now look at Britain from an external perspective and ponder how we look to others. I'm sorry to say this, but we are seen as a nation that tolerates child abuse and child killings on a far greater scale than most other nations. I'm reluctant to accept that this is how things look, but it's certainly a point of view that I've come across.

Hindley is our Hitler.

Apr 25, 2008
Playing my flute
I think there IS a parallel between Hindley and Hitler - and Giraffe has highlighted it at the end of his message.

No German under the age of 85 can be held personally responsible in any way for Hitler's rise to power - but, from outside that country, we nevertheless still feel able to detect characteristics in the German make-up that we find troublesome.

Now look at Britain from an external perspective and ponder how we look to others. I'm sorry to say this, but we are seen as a nation that tolerates child abuse and child killings on a far greater scale than most other nations. I'm reluctant to accept that this is how things look, but it's certainly a point of view that I've come across.

Hindley is our Hitler.

'Hindley is our Hitler'??????!?!!?

Hows that mate? Hitler was in his time the most powerful man in the world. Some good ideas but mostly bad ones screwed him.

Hindley was a wide eyed teeneger with an obsession with a madman who she looked out for when he was burying bodies on the moors.

Not the same ball park mate.

'Hindley is our Hitler'??????!?!!?

Hows that mate? Hitler was in his time the most powerful man in the world. Some good ideas but mostly bad ones screwed him.

Hindley was a wide eyed teeneger with an obsession with a madman who she looked out for when he was burying bodies on the moors.

Not the same ball park mate.

You miss the point I'm making. Hitler came to power because something in the German national character allowed it to happen. He was the tip of the iceberg.

With 10,000 crimes of violence, cruelty or neglect against childen occurring every year in England and Wales, there is an iceberg here, as well. Hindley was the tip.

As a nation, we are embarassed by Hindley, just as the Germans are embarassed by Hitler. That's why works of art are attacked.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
should have ripped his other bollock off instead!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I quite like Hitler myself.

543546386_s.jpg

I mean c'mon look at that innocent face, why would anyone want to rip it off?

I blame NMH. He's even using the ripped-off head for his avatar. Mein GOTT!

Unlike Hitler, I am much loved and will be embossed in history as a great respected leader.

The head-ripping is proof that Hitler is remembered, hated and will stay in history as an evil lunatic. What was done to his effigy, is nothing to what would have been done to him if the Russians had found him alive in 1945.
To many many people, the man who did this seemingly-trivial, 'token' act is a champion of their feelings.

Hindley is our Hitler.

Er.... I'm not sure how you got that.
Who "tolerates child abuse" in this country? And who "sees us as a nation" for tolerance of it?

I am not understanding.

Er.... I'm not sure how you got that.
Who "tolerates child abuse" in this country? And who "sees us as a nation" for tolerance of it?

I am not understanding.
When I lived in Italy, I was regularly asked by Italian friends why the English ill-treat, and even kill, their children.

We have national stereotypes of foreigners. That happens to be one that they have of us.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
When I lived in Italy, I was regularly asked by Italian friends why the English ill-treat, and even kill, their children.

We have national stereotypes of foreigners. That happens to be one that they have of us.

Sorry LB for the first time in your NSC posting history you appear to be posting nonsense.

In a thousand years time when someone writes the history of Britain Hindley won't even be mentioned, whereas the same book for Germany will have a whole chapter on Hitler.

Thats the difference. Hitler changed their history, Hindley was just another nutter that all countries have.

Sorry LB for the first time in your NSC posting history you appear to be posting nonsense.

In a thousand years time when someone writes the history of Britain Hindley won't even be mentioned, whereas the same book for Germany will have a whole chapter on Hitler.

Thats the difference. Hitler changed their history, Hindley was just another nutter that all countries have.
But it may well be the case that a history of Britain written in 100 years time will highlight the extraordinary level of violence, cruelty and neglect that children were subjected to in the prosperous times of the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries.

If Hindley was a one-off nutter, you'd have a point. My point is that Britain is SEEN as having MORE child abusers than other European nations and that this is something to do with our national character.

I don't know whether this is true, but I do know that the NSPCC reports that there are 10,000 crimes of violence, cruelty or neglect against childen occurring every year in England and Wales.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Not sure about that.Jack the Ripper mystery is well over a hundred years old and those dark days of 1888 are still talked very much today.Films,books,new theories are being expressed all the time.They even have Jack walks in London.Ok it was the first serial killer to strike England(so they say) i cannot see this case ever disappearing within the walls of history.Such high profile cases like this,Hindley etc will remain within our history for centuries to come.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here