Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man City PL Charges

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
More likely that this will be final confirmation that competitive football in England is finished.
Something akin to this . . . . . . . The baddies win because they can afford to.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Let’s all wait and see.

Either way, I hope this puts Pep’s genius into perspective. He’s been very successful at very rich clubs.

As they point out in the book Soccernomics, it’s the clubs that spend the most on players that are successful. Pep has been lucky all his managerial life.
Odd take. The best / richest clubs have their pick of all the talent, and they chose him - for a reason.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think they will be clobbered. I'm calling 50 points. Enough to mean they might go down or might not.

The tricky situation will be the inevitable appeal. I think there will be a situation last year where nobody knows who is actually in the relegation scrap

I also think there will be ban on individuals being directors or involved in football in the PL and a record fine and a costs award.

When you look at the charges against them, they are pretty bad

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Odd take. The best / richest clubs have their pick of all the talent, and they chose him - for a reason.
I know. But in Soccernomics by Simon Culver and some other bod the data kind of suggests that the coach isn’t that important.

I think ‘The Numbers Game’ might suggest something similar.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I heard a few weeks ago that they have already spent £20m on lawyers. They'll double that and more when they drag this out through an appeal.
I was reading recently about City's way of doing things. I think it was 2018/19, City submitted their accounts but provided no documentary evidence to support their figures. PL said you must provide evidence and City said you have no jurisdiction to ask us for that. It went to court about a year later, PL won. City applied for leave to appeal which was granted, another year later in High Court they lost again. As part of the appeal the PL said they would be setting up an independent tribunal to deal with such charges. City took the PL to court about this, saying it wouldn't be independent as the PL were setting it up. They lost again. Again they appealed against decision and lost again. This whole process took about 4 years.

The lawyers are rubbing their hands together with glee.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I've said it before, but I think City will get a points deduction that will relegate them to the Championship. Given all the they have gained through their consistent rule breaking this will effectively just be a slap on the wrist as they will bounce back immediately and then resume normal service back in the premier league a season later. This will not stop them whining about the injustice of it all though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's bound to finish up as City Lawyers 5 The PL 1 after a VAR decision when City are found guilty initially.

I would much prefer to see them relegated several leagues at least, and thrown out of Europe.
Relegation to tier 4, with a 5 year ban from playing in the EPL (so they may enjoy a couple of futile years winning the championship and not being promoted) would be fun.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I hope they get a significant sanction that prevents their ongoing dominance. As has been posted above, the PL is in danger of becoming like the Scottish Premiership. This would also have the benefit of setting a precedent so Chelsea will be f***ed as well.

Could open up a whole can of worms though. How much of a case for loss of income might clubs have that finished just outside of the Champions League spots during the seasons they are found to have broken the rules in?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Probably the end of football if they are seen to have broken the rules and don't get properly (more than a points deduction) punished. The charges are pretty full on, I'm not sure other clubs would be too pleased if they just don't participate in the Champions League one season. As a certain pocaster says, it's corporate fraud some of it.

SAC

May 21, 2014
If they are guilty then it will be massive. It should be enough to see they kicked out of the PL and have to apply to join one of the other leagues. I suspect it will be just a massive points deduction meaning one relegation. I hope I'm wrong.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If found guilty by the panel of false accounting, are legal proceedings likely to ensue?

No accounting rules broken, PL rules are different.

My biggest fear is that opportunist DULLARDS will be boring the whole country to death on the matter on TV and radio and frankly, after a tough year for the country with the Farage riots it is the last thing we need.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I've always thought they would get hammered as the PL has invested so much time with this

Plus if they are seen to get away with it, the PL will be damaged beyond repair

I imagine Levy/bloom/kroenke/FSG etc would all consider action if they PL are seen to let them off

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Pie in the sky this one so bear with me. Suppose that Man City got away with all charges levelled against them despite all the evidence to the contrary. City lawyers outlawyered the authorities with Shyster & Shyster shenanigans which ends up with a proverbial slap on the wrist. Here comes the what if bit.

What if the remaining 19 Premier League clubs then decide en masse to refuse to play Man City in protest? Would each fixture then be declared null and void, or, would City then be awarded 3 points for each cancelled match? If the answer is the former then City would accrue nul points throughout the season, or if the latter, 114 points without a ball being kicked.

Okay, so a completely farcical response to what is fast becoming a farcical situation. I just hope and pray that justice is served and that cheats are punished good n’ proper. Not too much to ask for is it?

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Pie in the sky this one so bear with me. Suppose that Man City got away with all charges levelled against them despite all the evidence to the contrary. City lawyers outlawyered the authorities with Shyster & Shyster shenanigans which ends up with a proverbial slap on the wrist. Here comes the what if bit.

What if the remaining 19 Premier League clubs then decide en masse to refuse to play Man City in protest? Would each fixture then be declared null and void, or, would City then be awarded 3 points for each cancelled match? If the answer is the former then City would accrue nul points throughout the season, or if the latter, 114 points without a ball being kicked.

Okay, so a completely farcical response to what is fast becoming a farcical situation. I just hope and pray that justice is served and that cheats are punished good n’ proper. Not too much to ask for is it?
that would give the arsenal wet-wipes another massive moan-fest ! loosing the "inviciables" tag to ManC !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here