Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man City looking to sign Donovan

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He's scarcely an additional foreign player - he was at Everton last season. He's had a good world cup though, by far the best of the septics.

I reckon that there are a few Chilean, Slovak and Japanese being eyed up too.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
The number of foreign players in the premiership is not the only problem, its the lack of english players playing in foreign leagues as well.

Would our players perform better on the global stage if they had previously had to adapt to a different culture and be taken outside of their comfort zone? I think so.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The number of foreign players in the premiership is not the only problem, its the lack of english players playing in foreign leagues as well.

Would our players perform better on the global stage if they had previously had to adapt to a different culture and be taken outside of their comfort zone? I think so.

I absolutely agree. Also it is partially due (in my opinion) to British football scouts only looking for the bigger, more developed kids. There seems to be little emphasis on skill. I know there are exceptions (Walcott, Lennon, even Dean Cox), but there seem to be far more skilled footballers in foreign football and far more big cloggers in British football. I'm hoping the new national football centre (when it finally opens) will place some emphasis on skill.

Perhaps Gerrard and Ashley Cole for a start would benefit from a move abroad...

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It's largely the foreign players who make the our domestic football - & especially the Premiershit - half decent imo. I'd like to think that our own 'professionals' would learn a thing or too from them, but judging by our woeful international capitulations & their inibility to do the very basics, it's pretty evident that ain't happening. I'd like to see a proportion of the obscene amount of money (that sloshes around in our game) being directed into better facilities & quality coaching in order to improve the skills of our young talent. Will it ever happen though? Will it f***.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I absolutely agree. Also it is partially due (in my opinion) to British football scouts only looking for the bigger, more developed kids. There seems to be little emphasis on skill. I know there are exceptions (Walcott, Lennon, even Dean Cox), but there seem to be far more skilled footballers in foreign football and far more big cloggers in British football. I'm hoping the new national football centre (when it finally opens) will place some emphasis on skill.

Perhaps Gerrard and Ashley Cole for a start would benefit from a move abroad...

Odd examples. Both Walcott and Lennon have limited 'skill' and have got where they are purely through being quick. Not that this is a bad thing [being quick], obviously.

Going right back to the times of Hoddles, or Le Tissier, any English player who wanted to control the ball, keep possession and pick a pass, has been considered LAZY.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
With all the foreign owners and managers its not going to change in a hurry either.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008

Every German player plays in the Bundasliga and they seem to be doing alright.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Every German player plays in the Bundasliga and they seem to be doing alright.

have you watched many bundesliga games? ignore lazy cliches about teams being solely efficient hard working etc etc most teams are technically very good, calm possession-based football from front to back etc. it's a crackin league for so many reasons, the standard of football being one of them.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Things have started to improve - at my wifes primary school (don't worry, she's a teacher) there is a brazilian soccer after school club -(simon clifford introduced this to the UK) which uses a small heavy ball that can't be lumped forward and the training is based around close control and short passes.

Sadly the kids are only 6....

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
He's a decent player, but Man City won't make the transition to "European major force" with signings like that.

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
He should sign for a smaller club like Everton or Newcastle not a top five team otherwise he will spend a lot of time on the bench. Clubs always go mental for players that do well in the World Cup.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Odd examples. Both Walcott and Lennon have limited 'skill' and have got where they are purely through being quick. Not that this is a bad thing [being quick], obviously.

Going right back to the times of Hoddles, or Le Tissier, any English player who wanted to control the ball, keep possession and pick a pass, has been considered LAZY.

Walcott I agree with, however Lennon is an extremely skillful player.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here