Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man City banned from European competitions for next 2 seaons

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Danny Murphy (I think) on MoTD said he very much hoped Man City would get away with it (possibly not his exact words) in part because of the 'domino effect' it could have with the many other clubs in UK and across Europe that have also been breaking the rules and could end up facing sanctions.

For some reason he seemed to think this would be a bad thing.

Pundits seem to fall into two camps on anything controversial - Murphy’s very much in the Lineker mister nice guy mould of these ‘minor’ transgressions aren’t that important, let’s always have every club or country in a competition. He may be bright, but he does’t appear to digest football economics, corruption and cheating.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Just like our European ban in the 80s for crowd trouble, despite it happening everywhere else this is just another example of English clubs getting the hard stick whilst the likes of Govt. backed Real Madrid, PSG, Barca and Juve all get away with it.

What didn’t happen everywhere else was 39 deaths and over 600 fans injured at one game. :down:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Ironic that Liverpool fans find this funny.

Their scum fans got all English clubs banned for years.

Teams like Oxford, Luton and Wimbledon will never experience European football.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just like our European ban in the 80s for crowd trouble, despite it happening everywhere else this is just another example of English clubs getting the hard stick whilst the likes of Govt. backed Real Madrid, PSG, Barca and Juve all get away with it.

What about bans for Fenerbache, Red Star Belgrade, Besitkas and AC Milan, all banned from UEFA competition and not English?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ironic that Liverpool fans find this funny.

Their scum fans got all English clubs banned for years.

Teams like Oxford, Luton and Wimbledon will never experience European football.

Much of the football world apart from yourself is pleased. Spurs and Arsenal fans queuing up to call 5live and TS this weekend, to express their delight, ManC’s illegal cheating had put them as a huge disadvantage. But you carry on with your 35 year grudge that has absolutely nowt to do with the 21st century illegal antics of Mansour.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
What about bans for Fenerbache, Red Star Belgrade, Besitkas and AC Milan, all banned from UEFA competition and not English?

True.

But the Spanish Government bailed out Real Madrid by buying their training ground.

What they’ve got away with over the years is a far bigger scandal than Mansour’s petrodollars at City.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Absolutely - and because of their transgressions all Turkish, Yugoslavian/Serbian and Italian clubs were quite rightly banned by UEFA for several seasons ...........

...................................oh.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Absolutely - and because of their transgressions all Turkish, Yugoslavian/Serbian and Italian clubs were quite rightly banned by UEFA for several seasons ...........

...................................oh.

Fair point.

Giving moral equivalence to financial misdeeds and the killing of 39 football fans at Heysel was something that hadn’t entered my mind.

They are of course indistinguishable and I should have realised that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Danny Murphy (I think) on MoTD said he very much hoped Man City would get away with it (possibly not his exact words) in part because of the 'domino effect' it could have with the many other clubs in UK and across Europe that have also been breaking the rules and could end up facing sanctions.

For some reason he seemed to think this would be a bad thing.

Wow. What a pathetic argument by Murphy. Sounds like the same sort of arguments made in the past about how unthinkable the consequences would be if we mase it illegal to make monkey chants, or examine whether the guilford four might in fact have been innocent.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Wow. What a pathetic argument by Murphy. Sounds like the same sort of arguments made in the past about how unthinkable the consequences would be if we mase it illegal to make monkey chants, or examine whether the guilford four might in fact have been innocent.

Well that was my immdeiate response as well, but it is possible that I misunderstood or misheard. As I am getting a bit old.
So if anyone thinks I've got that wrong, I stand to be corrected.

I think what he actually said was 'I hope they are cleared on appeal' - but given the apparent weight of leaked evidence, I'd interpret that as 'I hope they get away with it'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
City fined 30M Euros and banned from European competitions for 2 years.......never happened to Barcelona, Juventus etc
This is what I don't understand. City are hardly the only big spenders.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They'll have the most expensive legal team that money can buy and they'll weedle out of it like the scum they are.
As if UEFA can't also afford the best legal team.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
This is what I don't understand. City are hardly the only big spenders.

But they got caught. Via Football leaks. The leaked emails, allegedly, make it explicit that rules were being deliberately broken.

You can look it in one of two ways (with the same outcome)

1. The publicity attached to the leaks made it difficult not to act, even if they preferred not to

2. They always wanted to act against clubs they knew were circumventing the rules, but (given the financial clout of those clubs and lack of evidence) didn't think they could...until the leaks provided a sufficiently watertight case against one of the likely biggest offenders.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But they got caught. Via Football leaks. The leaked emails, allegedly, make it explicit that rules were being deliberately broken.

You can look it in one of two ways (with the same outcome)

1. The publicity attached to the leaks made it difficult not to act, even if they preferred not to

2. They always wanted to act against clubs they knew were circumventing the rules, but (given the financial clout of those clubs and lack of evidence) didn't think they could...until the leaks provided a sufficiently watertight case against one of the likely biggest offenders.
I look at it a different way. I think they should be prosecuting all the cheating clubs. I don't accept that they didn't think they could act due to the financial clout of the clubs they're prosecuting, because UEFA has plenty of financial clout.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
because UEFA has plenty of financial clout.

Of course they do when they fine an English Clubs £50 million pound, and then fine

Mario Balotelli was subjected to monkey chants from Porto fans while playing for Manchester City in a Europa League game.Punishment: £16,700 fine.

Lazio fans were heard making monkey noises at three Tottenham players - Jermain Defoe, Aaron Lennon and Andros Townsend - during a Europa League group game at White Hart Lane.Punishment: £32,500 fine

The FA were slapped with a £16,000 fine when an England Under-20 player was caught drinking a non-sponsored energy drink during the U20 World Cup in South Korea. This came just weeks after Russia had been fined £22,000 as fans chanted racist abuse in a friendly against France.

The FAs of England and Scotland were fined £35,000 and £15,700 respectively by FIFA for wearing poppies on their shirts to commemorate the fallen in the two World Wars. Although the teams were playing each other at Wembley, the Three Lions received a heavier punishment due to being the home side.

UEFA hate the English, it is a fact they will screw us over at any given chance, they look at the English clubs and all they see are pound signs.

Frankly don't care about the Champions league or European football, it's not like we will ever take part in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here