Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man City banned from European competitions for next 2 seaons

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If they have broken FFP they have had an unfair advantage in every league game they have played.

and domestic cups.

Literally depriving the likes of Spurs and Arsenal the chance to win stuff, with Citeh’s bench and more of top players making injuries, fatigue and any individuals losing form inconsequential compared to clubs playing by the financial rules.

Citeh are persistent cheats.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
and domestic cups.

Literally depriving the likes of Spurs and Arsenal the chance to win stuff, with Citeh’s bench and more of top players making injuries, fatigue and any individuals losing form inconsequential compared to clubs playing by the financial rules.

Citeh are persistent cheats.

Brighton would have been in final last season

We would have lost to anyone in the semis ha

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't mean "excessively rich people", I mean Arabs. I worked for four Arab companies and corruption is in their DNA in my opinion. Look at the whole World Cup award to Qatar thing; look at the gigantic fines Airbus have paid for paying bungs to Arab airlines. A couple of examples, there are plenty more.

Wait, they’re so corrupt that you worked for FOUR of them?

Why did you carry on working for them if you consider them corrupt? That makes you corrupt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The only way out of this is to install a realistic wages ceiling for players throughout all leagues here and abroad. Never happen though that's why so many clubs have sold their souls

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There was a sports writer last night suggested that if this played out the way it should, City will be relegated out of the PL and it was up to the EFL where they would be placed, div 2 ( fourth tier)

So I take it they have been removed from the CL this season?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
There was a sports writer last night suggested that if this played out the way it should, City will be relegated out of the PL and it was up to the EFL where they would be placed, div 2 ( fourth tier)

On the basis the advantage they are gaining applies to all competitions you would have to say that the writer is correct. The fact UEFA are taking action yet the PL have just let this happen with no action in their competition speaks volumes about how much the PL are concerned with these deals.

The beautiful game gets uglier and uglier every year that passes as money continues to dominate the direction of the game

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On the basis the advantage they are gaining applies to all competitions you would have to say that the writer is correct. The fact UEFA are taking action yet the PL have just let this happen with no action in their competition speaks volumes about how much the PL are concerned with these deals.

The beautiful game gets uglier and uglier every year that passes as money continues to dominate the direction of the game

Exactly. The PL quietly brushing Citeh’s corruption under the carpet. It doesn’t fit the hyped image of the competition and would (rightly) call into question the award of past trophies to the cheats. A can of worms no one will touch.

Plus there are other clubs who’ve paid player image rights to offshore entities. Not the same, because these costs did appear in the football club accounts, but currently under HMRC investigation for the criminal evasion of PAYE and National Insurance.

Top flight football = a murky world.

Domestic rugby has come down far harder on Saracens for example.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Suspended for 100 years and the kit man will have to perform 20 hours community service , is my guess at the final outcome .

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just like our European ban in the 80s for crowd trouble, despite it happening everywhere else this is just another example of English clubs getting the hard stick whilst the likes of Govt. backed Real Madrid, PSG, Barca and Juve all get away with it.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

The PL will be waiting until the CAS have ruled on it, to act sooner would just mean another appeal (and probably will anyway).

If they are kicked out of the PL, do the EFL have to take them ? Could they have to start in the Vimto league division 12 ?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It would be very handy if PetroState City took one of the relegation places.

Only IF they are guilty, of course. If they are... throw the book at them.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

This is the problem with having the body in charge of promoting the league also being the body that regulates the league. They take the promotion a lot more seriously than the regulating. They'll never do anything that might tarnish the image/brand as the money is more important than the morals. It's the same with a lot of sports.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just like our European ban in the 80s for crowd trouble, despite it happening everywhere else this is just another example of English clubs getting the hard stick whilst the likes of Govt. backed Real Madrid, PSG, Barca and Juve all get away with it.

Is it true these clubs have also broken rules on funding? Surely if there’s evidence then UEFA will act? At the very least Man City would have raised this in their defence?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Is it true these clubs have also broken rules on funding? Surely if there’s evidence then UEFA will act? At the very least Man City would have raised this in their defence?

Danny Murphy (I think) on MoTD said he very much hoped Man City would get away with it (possibly not his exact words) in part because of the 'domino effect' it could have with the many other clubs in UK and across Europe that have also been breaking the rules and could end up facing sanctions.

For some reason he seemed to think this would be a bad thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Danny Murphy (I think) on MoTD said he very much hoped Man City would get away with it (possibly not his exact words) in part because of the 'domino effect' it could have with the many other clubs in UK and across Europe that have also been breaking the rules and could end up facing sanctions.

For some reason he seemed to think this would be a bad thing.

Strange response from Murphy. My question is whether the other clubs have broken the rules though, is there any evidence to suggest they have?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bear in mind, I think that some (most?) of evidence allowing the Man City case to be judged and sanctioned came from leaked emails https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Leaks the question of evidence may be critical here.

True. The evidence is quite damning as well.

As an aside, there’s an interesting piece in today’s Observer about what will happen to City now they don’t have the extra however many millions to pay their players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here