Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Man City accused of breaking EPL financial rules

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I’ve established the timeline.

- Sept 08 ManC were taken over. No one was aware of the corruption in the ensuing years, that is had any factual evidence.
- 2016 The hacker Rui Pinto gave his files of evidence to DerSpiegel, which they spent sometime corroborating.
- Nov 18 Der Spiegel published the evidence.
- Mar 19 The EPL open their investigation.
- Mar 19 UEFA open their investigation.
- July 20 ManC ultimately win their appeal to CAS of a CL ban, partly because of UEFA’s time limitation rule. ManC were still proven guilty on several charges.
- July 21 The Court Of Appeal overturned a gagging order, revealing that the EPL had spent over two years trying to obtain documents, through the courts, from ManC. ManC had resisted every step of the way.

To me its seems the EPL have been efficient on a complex case. Football writers explain that Abu Dhabi deliberately use attrition to wear the football authorities down.
It's taken the Premier League more time to press charges than it took for World War 1 to start and end. The only reason they have made the accusations against City this week is that they are wholly opposed to an independent regulator and want to be seen to have the cajones to prosecute one of their own members and shareholders.

When the Truss/Kwarteng/IEA brains trust were in charge of the government last year the Premier League withdrew its offer to the EFL to distribute more money to EFL/grassroots because the libertarians in charge were all for the rich to stay as rich as they are presently. The IEA are now briefing/lobbying government and MPs trying to take down the white paper proposals as the PL does not want scrutiny, transparency or being answerable to anyone apart from itself. As for the other people working on behalf of the PL, it includes ***** *******, no stranger to the dirty tricks world of politics.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
At around 7am this morning, Martin Samuel (now chief football writer for The Times / Sunday Times) was on TalkSPORT discussing all this on the show with Laura Woods and Alli McCoist. He has always been a huge critic of FFP and how it "stifles" new monied competition, crystalising the top clubs and stopping any others with rich owners investing and breaking through to join the cartel, and I can partially agree with some of what he says when he clambers back on that hobbyhorse. To that end, in his columns, he's often defended Man City to the hilt, and very much sounded like he was going down that route again this morning. That was until a few minutes in they suddenly "lost the line" (and this never seems to happen mid-stream, but when there is a pause after the question).

Oddly, they never managed to get him back. Oh, and another trinket - one of Samuel's sons works for Man City, in some capacity or other.

Funny that.
I didn’t know about that bias. I’ve always thought of Martin Samuel as a mouthy tabloids wknr. I think he supports West Ham, so he would be envious of clubs at the top who have far greater support and income.

Whenever he gets mentions on NS, his fanboys defend him as award winning, on a par with Hugh McIlvanney or Ian Wooldridge. He’s not. He’s the sports equivalent of Piers Morgan or Kelvin McKenzie. A cockney rent a gob.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
At around 7am this morning, Martin Samuel (now chief football writer for The Times / Sunday Times) was on TalkSPORT discussing all this on the show with Laura Woods and Alli McCoist. He has always been a huge critic of FFP and how it "stifles" new monied competition, crystalising the top clubs and stopping any others with rich owners investing and breaking through to join the cartel, and I can partially agree with some of what he says when he clambers back on that hobbyhorse. To that end, in his columns, he's often defended Man City to the hilt, and very much sounded like he was going down that route again this morning. That was until a few minutes in they suddenly "lost the line" (and this never seems to happen mid-stream, but when there is a pause after the question).

Oddly, they never managed to get him back. Oh, and another trinket - one of Samuel's sons works for Man City, in some capacity or other.

Funny that.
He is also opposed to the independent regulator.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's taken the Premier League more time to press charges than it took for World War 1 to start and end. The only reason they have made the accusations against City this week is that they are wholly opposed to an independent regulator and want to be seen to have the cajones to prosecute one of their own members and shareholders.

When the Truss/Kwarteng/IEA brains trust were in charge of the government last year the Premier League withdrew its offer to the EFL to distribute more money to EFL/grassroots because the libertarians in charge were all for the rich to stay as rich as they are presently. The IEA are now briefing/lobbying government and MPs trying to take down the white paper proposals as the PL does not want scrutiny, transparency or being answerable to anyone apart from itself. As for the other people working on behalf of the PL, it includes ***** *******, no stranger to the dirty tricks world of politics.
Hurray, we have you back :bowdown:.

Whatever the background reason, I’m glad they have the big balls now to go for it.

Whilst we have you, may I ask a question, have Spurs, ManU or Liverpool ever broken FFP or Financial Profitability & Sustainability rules?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Funny that.

I heard this, he got well arsey when Woods said other clubs punished would be expecting City to have the book thrown at them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As funny as City getting relegated would be Haaland would probably score 80 goals in a 46 game Championship season.

I'd go for a transfer embargo to match every season they are found guilty of cheating in. i.e. if there were financial irregularities in five seasons in the verdict then they can't buy another player for five seasons.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Realistically it will be a fine.

Has a club ever been outright relegated (not points deductions) due to financial irregularities in the history of English football? I can’t find anything on Google.

Portsmouth in 09/10 are the only ever PL team to have had a points deduction (9 points, for entering administration).

They are too big, too powerful. They will get a monetary fine IF found guilty of anything and that will be that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I heard this, he got well arsey when Woods said other clubs punished would be expecting City to have the book thrown at them.
Just listened to that and Woods saying in the aftermath: "We hope we get him back one day. I'm sure we'll get him back next week..."

Yeah, good luck with that! :lol:

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
As funny as City getting relegated would be Haaland would probably score 80 goals in a 46 game Championship season.

I'd go for a transfer embargo to match every season they are found guilty of cheating in. i.e. if there were financial irregularities in five seasons in the verdict then they can't buy another player for five seasons.
So, apparently, the EFL would be under no obligation to take Man City if they are expelled from the Premier League.

Manchester City not guaranteed place in EFL if they are expelled from Premier League

So maybe the question is "how many goals will Haaland score in the National League next season?"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So, apparently, the EFL would be under no obligation to take Man City if they are expelled from the Premier League.

Manchester City not guaranteed place in EFL if they are expelled from Premier League

So maybe the question is "how many goals will Haaland score in the National League next season?"
cat 1000th post GIF

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hurray, we have you back :bowdown:.

Whatever the background reason, I’m glad they have the big balls now to go for it.

Whilst we have you, may I ask a question, have Spurs, ManU or Liverpool ever broken FFP or Financial Profitability & Sustainability rules?
No, some PL clubs (Chelsea and MUFC) are on UEFA's watchlist, but no breaches as such.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As has been reported the other "Big" 6 are the ones pushing for this action, I take it they have complied 100% with all the FFP requirements as directed.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As has been reported the other "Big" 6 are the ones pushing for this action, I take it they have complied 100% with all the FFP requirements as directed.
See @El Pres above and the question to him. Spurs, Liverpool and ManU have always complied.

Pep, getting involved in matters beyond a team-manager/coach, has expressed his bitterness in the past including last week, that a load of clubs wrote to CAS about ManC - Wolves, Burnley, Liverpool, Leicester, Newcastle, Tottenham, ManU, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here