Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man City 1 - 3 ARSEnal

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
cardboard said:
On the radio tonight an Arsenal Youth team coach said 24 out of 32 youth players were english

That has to be good for the future

I stand corrected if any of them make the first team.

I'd imagine they will be farmed out to championship sides and will then sign permanently when they realise they will never make the first team because they don't speak french.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Dandyman said:
Arsenal: Lehmann, Eboue, Toure, Campbell, Cole, Hleb (Pires 72), Silva, Song Billong (Fabregas 58), Ljungberg, Henry, Van Persie (Reyes 72).
Subs Not Used: Almunia, Djourou.

So, out of 14 players used that will be 2 English ones then...

I must admit to not taking much of an interest in the premiership anymore but do Arsenal really have a player called Song Billong?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can't decide who I'd rather have representing us in the Champions League.

Tottenham - to ring the changes but likely to be embarrassed like Everton last season, so a waste of a spot. or
Arsenal - same old same old, few Englishmen (not that I really care much about that really), but have proved they can go far. And Wenger manages them, who is both a genius and a tosser.

Very tricky.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
brightonfan_86 said:
E

N

G

L

I

S

H

T

E

A

M

:nono: Twelve months ago during that amazing Champions league final you were hating the fact that Liverpool came back and stuffed Milan, you were cheering and singing at half time.

Now as your beloved Aresnal (sorry the team you "follow") are in the final everybody has to support the English team

This has got to be your biggest inconsistancy to date

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Ernest said:
Good old Arsenal , a credit to ENGLISH football :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

:thud: French Manager, Saudai Sponsor and only two English players, How can they be a credit to english football ???

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
come on arsenal!! i dont know what you all mean justifies an english team? brighton usually started with 5 foreigners and a scottish manager? but we are english. so what justifies it?

i agree, even as an arsenal fan aswell, that there should be a rule stating at least 6 members of a squad are from your own nationality but in all fairness to wenger he has done the best money saving decision, to sign foreing youngsters

ashton, 7.5 million? is he worth it. maybe. but fabregas, eboue, flamini, senderos, van persie, ljunberg all came to a total of under 7 million. and surely thats a better bit of buisness.

and a 15million pound english future kid in walcott, yes he may be worth it but a player like that from spain would be significantly cheaper.

if arsenal tried to sign english players worthy of there standards then even england reserves like carrick, wright phillips would cost more than 10 million. its just not sensible(especially with a new stadiums finances being considered)

so yes it would be nice to see more england players but its just not going to happen+ cole campbell will do us proud.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
What a sight to see Henry ghost through 5 Man City players and pick up a return pass from Van Persie only to see his shot just bend away from the top corner.

As a football fan I will be devestated if Henry leaves our shores - he is simply breathtaking.:clap:

E

enigma

Simster said:
I can't decide who I'd rather have representing us in the Champions League.

Tottenham - to ring the changes but likely to be embarrassed like Everton last season, so a waste of a spot

Spurs wont get embarassed- their team is much better than Evertons, particularly in terms of the back up they have.

Everton got in the champ league due to an amazing first half of the season where they racked up loads of points, but flopped when Gravesen went, not the same thing at all, Spurs have been more consistent.

In fairness to Everton, I'd hardly call being eliminated by the eventual semi finalists embarassing either.

Dandyman

In London village.
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
come on arsenal!! i dont know what you all mean justifies an english team? brighton usually started with 5 foreigners and a scottish manager? but we are english. so what justifies it?

i agree, even as an arsenal fan aswell, that there should be a rule stating at least 6 members of a squad are from your own nationality but in all fairness to wenger he has done the best money saving decision, to sign foreing youngsters

ashton, 7.5 million? is he worth it. maybe. but fabregas, eboue, flamini, senderos, van persie, ljunberg all came to a total of under 7 million. and surely thats a better bit of buisness.

and a 15million pound english future kid in walcott, yes he may be worth it but a player like that from spain would be significantly cheaper.

if arsenal tried to sign english players worthy of there standards then even england reserves like carrick, wright phillips would cost more than 10 million. its just not sensible(especially with a new stadiums finances being considered)

so yes it would be nice to see more england players but its just not going to happen+ cole campbell will do us proud.

Campbell will be in a padded cell before 90 minutes are up and Cole will "accidently" be talking to some other clubs representatives.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I applaud Arsenal taking on foreign youth, because it means that they have managed to compete with Cash rich Manchester United and Chelsea whilst teams that were as big as them have fallen away because they can't compete financially for the best Brits. The Premier League without Arsenal would have been a farce for the last 10 years as Manchester United and Chelsea bought the title without anyone even challenging them. Good luck to Arsenal with the way they have kept in touch.

Now they have a 60k plus arena they may be able to compete with the Chelsea's and Man U's for British talent :clap:

I also hope that on Saturday, West Ham and Bobby in particular ensure a defeat enables Arsenal to take the last Champion's League place off Tottenham. Just in case they lose to Barca

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here