Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Malick Yalcouye **Singed 12/07/2024**

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Does seem like he's coming if nothing weird happens.

Wonder what the plan would be for him. He's a relatively recently turned 18-year-old - he might not quite be ready for the PL just yet. Very few 18 year olds play regularly in the PL.

Playing primarly with the U21s is probably one option. Spending the rest of the season on loan in Gothenburg and then coming to Brighton in December would also make sense, if it wasn't for IFKs dire track record of developing players and keeping them fit. Their new manager is a bit more Brighton than the manager they just sold (!), so maybe there could be a discussion.

Of course, there's a small chance he could be part of the first team squad next season. His allround (DMC more than anything, but perfectly capable of playing at either wing) qualities could make him useful in any midfield role, and a versatile non-Milner player like that would be quite handy.
How does he compare, in terms of levels of hype and expectation over in Sweden, to Yasin Ayari?

I also would expect him to go out on loan, though maybe to step up a level in terms of the league he plays in, to the Eredivisie or the Championship perhaps.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
How does he compare, in terms of levels of hype and expectation over in Sweden, to Yasin Ayari?

I also would expect him to go out on loan, though maybe to step up a level in terms of the league he plays in, to the Eredivisie or the Championship perhaps.
Not sure if I said it at the time or not. I was surprised when Ayari was signed, he wouldn't have been on my list of the top 10 talents in Allsvenskan at the time. This was my take in the Ayari thread:

If they say they've heard it from multiple sources, then they have. That he is being scouted doesn't need to mean too much though.

Good, talented player. Would compare him with Alzate in playing style. Like 99% of Swedish players moving abroad he's not yet good enough for the PL though and would surely go on loan for 1-2 seasons if he was signed.

Shouldn't cost more than £2-3m so its certainly realistic in that way.
Imo signing Ayari was all about the price. It ended up being around £4m and a lot needs to go wrong if that doesn't end up with a profit. I hope to be wrong but I struggle to see him reaching the level required for us. He has good technique and great passing, but he is too weak and, more importantly, too slow. And pace is difficult to develop.

Ayari was seen as a quite talented midfielder. Nothing exceptional. People were surprised he stayed for another year.

With Yalcouye its a different thing. Anyone who saw IFKs first friendly this season thought "yeah that guy is gone in five minutes". The last time I felt that way was when a 16-year-old Alexander Isak was playing in the preseason for AIK.

Like most clubs in Sweden, AIK (Ayaris former club) love to sell players at any price at any time. Ayari was allowed to play 18 months in Allsvenskan without anyone going for him before we did. It was... random.

Yalcouye is different. Its a monster talent and in a normal, less FFP-affected climate he would be gone to a big club by now. But few are willing/able to spend £7m on a player that might be 12 months away from really contributing. But Brighton are in a fantastic position and able to do exactly this.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Not sure if I said it at the time or not. I was surprised when Ayari was signed, he wouldn't have been on my list of the top 10 talents in Allsvenskan at the time. This was my take in the Ayari thread:

Imo signing Ayari was all about the price. It ended up being around £4m and a lot needs to go wrong if that doesn't end up with a profit. I hope to be wrong but I struggle to see him reaching the level required for us. He has good technique and great passing, but he is too weak and, more importantly, too slow. And pace is difficult to develop.

Ayari was seen as a quite talented midfielder. Nothing exceptional. People were surprised he stayed for another year.

With Yalcouye its a different thing. Anyone who saw IFKs first friendly this season thought "yeah that guy is gone in five minutes". The last time I felt that way was when a 16-year-old Alexander Isak was playing in the preseason for AIK.

Like most clubs in Sweden, AIK (Ayaris former club) love to sell players at any price at any time. Ayari was allowed to play 18 months in Allsvenskan without anyone going for him before we did. It was... random.

Yalcouye is different. Its a monster talent and in a normal, less FFP-affected climate he would be gone to a big club by now. But few are willing/able to spend £7m on a player that might be 12 months away from really contributing. But Brighton are in a fantastic position and able to do exactly this.
I have to say that looking at his highlights reel makes me think he has Kante like attributes.
As you say, you can’t coach pace. He has it.

Dec 29, 2011
He’s a midfielder. More of an Mwepu replacement 18 months on.
Adingra will replace Mitoma next season on the left and Minteh will make the RW position his own. Succession planning innit?
Ah true? Fair. Shows what I know. Having read Swansman's post it seems like an exciting signing.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If we get him what would the plan be? 6 months training with the squad but playing U21s and the occasional spot on the bench then a loan in the second half of the season?

Straight out on loan? Straight into the first team squad?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You’d think an attacking midfielder too if we have been after KDH and Rutter.
Indeed. An assist king.

However, when attacking, we could already look something like this if we sign Wieffer…….

———————Verbruggen————————
—-Van Hecke———————Dunk————-
————————Wieffer—————————
Lamptey————-Gilmour————Estupinan
——-March———-Groß———Mitoma———
———————-—Pedro—————————

At the moment, the attacking midfielder should be back-up to Groß.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Indeed. An assist king.

However, when attacking, we could already look something like this if we sign Wieffer…….

———————Verbruggen————————
—-Van Hecke———————Dunk————-
————————Wieffer—————————
Lamptey————-Gilmour————Estupinan
——-March———-Groß———Mitoma———
———————-—Pedro—————————

At the moment, the attacking midfielder should be back-up to Groß.
Think Hinshelwood would be 1st choice

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here