Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Making the away team feel unwelcome

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Paint the dressing room walls some really bright eye splitting colour and blast out Bucks Fizz tracks for the duration of their stay!

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Dunno who the long faired player was in the studio on the football league show but he was suggesting we do so well ans Withers cos teams hate going there and he said at first at Falmer we'll struggle and teams will love playing against us in a nice new stadium. Yet if you look at the previous 3 seasons Withdean form that pisses all over his unresearched point he was trying to make!

Didn't see this, but this is utter b0ll0cks. It has got nothing to do with the stadium (Amex nice or Falmer not so nice) as to whether teams will do well against is. It is about the 11 players on the pitch (plus subs) as to how well we do. All this talk about painted dressing rooms, nice stadium is just really wasting air space when it comes to how we will do in the Championship. It's all about the players playing the football on the pitch.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I love that site.

As to the original point, I find myself quite uneasy at the thought of all this "making life uncomfortable" bollocks. It's the sort of thing that clubs with a good deal less class than the Albion might engage in. Home advantage should be home advantage, with the familiarity of surroundings and racaus home support providing the advantage. To me, deliberately making the surroundings worse for the away team than they need to be is bordering on gamesmanship.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I love that site.

As to the original point, I find myself quite uneasy at the thought of all this "making life uncomfortable" bollocks. It's the sort of thing that clubs with a good deal less class than the Albion might engage in. Home advantage should be home advantage, with the familiarity of surroundings and racaus home support providing the advantage. To me, deliberately making the surroundings worse for the away team than they need to be is bordering on gamesmanship.

I recall Coventry at Highfield Road a few yrs back at half time giving only the half we were due to attack a proper good sprinkling - now that is a lot worse than some psycological research into what colour to paint the away dressing room! I don't mind it, as others do it. If we don't do it we could miss a trick and a very small helping hand towards some results.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I recall Coventry at Highfield Road a few yrs back at half time giving only the half we were due to attack a proper good sprinkling - now that is a lot worse than some psycological research into what colour to paint the away dressing room! I don't mind it, as others do it. If we don't do it we could miss a trick and a very small helping hand towards some results.
In that case, Coventry are exactly the sort of shit classless club I'd rather Albion tried to avoid copying. I bet Portsmouth go in for that sort of nonsense too.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The away experience may well be nice and pretty in the away end but hopefully it will be anything other than that when they are out and waiting for the trains

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
You have to paint the away dressing room walls though, why not choose a colour that is depressing to the visitors. No-one is saying we are doing a stoke and drying the balls with tea towels or Wimbledon and turning the heating up/down.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You have to paint the away dressing room walls though, why not choose a colour that is depressing to the visitors. No-one is saying we are doing a stoke and drying the balls with tea towels or Wimbledon and turning the heating up/down.
Let's paint them BLACK.

black-wall.jpg

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Are we reading too much into the supposed psychology behind this? What's wrong with just PLAYING BETTER THAN THE OTHER TEAM to get results? Maybe I'm old fashioned.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
That happens all the time, including Brentford away this season.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Are we reading too much into the supposed psychology behind this? What's wrong with just PLAYING BETTER THAN THE OTHER TEAM to get results? Maybe I'm old fashioned.

I'm with you on this. I'm more than happy for fans to want to look forward to visiting us. How many times do we read on here before away games things like "Going to Oldham ? Horrible place, coldest ground in the country". We should be better on the pitch end of.

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
The away fans are our customers. The money they spend on tickets, refreshments etc. will help pay for new players, players wages and all other expenses. Make them welcome and encourage them to return.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
ffs,this thread cracks me up,zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,we want a nice intimidating atmosphere,leave it to the wsu to sort that out!!!!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here