Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Making Fish and Chips at Home!!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Can it be done as good as the chippy?

Which fish? Can there be anything better than cod or haddock?

What are the beast brands to buy for breaded/battered fish in the supermarket?

Someone got a good recipe for MUSHY peas?

Any BATTER tips?

20070522095400!Fish,_chips_and_mushy_peas.jpg

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
my mother breads cod some times and it is absolutely f***ing BRILLIANT :clap: :clap: :clap:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Why do you want to do BREADED fish at home? Surely the conoisseur would go for BATTERED?

If you can get HOKI in the supermarket it's a bit like haddock, and cheaper -- but not as nice.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If you want good fish steer clear of supermarkets, Most of the stuff they sell is not fit for human consumption.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
why on earth would you want to make it at home? It won't taste as nice as when some perverted, overweight, greasy skinned Dune coon serves it to you in a polystyrene pot and charges you £7.50 for your trouble.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
If you want good fish steer clear of supermarkets, Most of the stuff they sell is not fit for human consumption.

sell-by-date-reached salmon from the discounted shelf in tescos is GREAT when grilled and put in a sandwich :thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I do it all the time.

Don't do batter, do breadcrumbs. I searched high and low for the best way to make bread crumbs until somewhere pointed me towards PANKO

They are Japanese breadcrumbs. Nothing particularly Japanese about them, but they liked the Western breadcrumbs and so started a process where bread was made specifically for the purpose.

orchids_panko200.jpg

They are unbelievable. Once you had something coated in Panko, everything else breaded is rubbish.

Look how golden those prawns look ! There isn't any colouring in them (they are breadcrumbs after all), but they are designed to go wonderfully evenly golden.

They are like little shards of glass.

Get some.

I'm not a big fan of chips, but prefer Maris Pipers peeled and cut into wedges with some olive oil and put in a hot oven. Small roast potatoes really, but less greasy.

For mushy peas - easy. Just cook some peas and into the food processor with some fresh mint.

Last edited:

fragglegull

Jun 3, 2008
Cod or pollock if you have a eco vibe from a fishmongers...

To make decent batter use beer (real ale not stella), eggs, flour, yeast and seasoning, whisk beer, eggs and flour together until smooth (strain to get rid of lumps if you are limp wristed or cack handed) add seasoning and yeast and leave in a warm place for a couple of hours until it has risen, then dip the in flour and dip in batter......deep fry and hey presto.....

Fish in beer batter like a mofo!!

:bowdown:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sweet potato, I just can't stand the mushy sweetness or the texture. No sorry, I can't get down with that. That and parsnips are the only two foods I won't touch.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Sweet potato, I just can't stand the mushy sweetness or the texture. No sorry, I can't get down with that. That and parsnips are the only two foods I won't touch.

It's like we were meant to be, parsnips are wrongers.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
sell-by-date-reached salmon from the discounted shelf in tescos is GREAT when grilled and put in a sandwich :thumbsup:

For some reason fresh water fish like Salmon & trout seem to last a bit longer than sea fish but I would'nt fancy them wrapped in batter and served with chips & mushy peas.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Never tried a sweet potato but I am partial to a few roasted parsnips.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
It's my belief that fish and chips, rather like a good curry, never taste quite as good cooked at home as they do from a takeaway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here