Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Making an atmosphere at Withdean?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Bout time someone got thinking about this. Can the Argus have another "Make some Noise" campaign (not amazingly effective, but worth a try). How about a few trombones/trumpets, etc? We need more than drums. Bit short notice to get a Sheff Weds type band together, but some people may know a few decent musicians, who could try to sit together??

How about we all dig around in our cupboards for those horns and flags we bought at the Mill Stad in 2004?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
One of the biggest problems with the atmosphere is the fact that it is wide open with no roof at all. I sit in D Block and I rarely hear anything from the singing section at all. I'm not saying that no singing is coming from there, just simply that it doesn't carry.

Singing and making lots of noise is contagious. If the noise from the singing section carried, lots more would join in.

mindyjaja

May 9, 2004
I took a load of beach balls to the last few home and away games last season but can't get them at the mo - not much demand for beach balls in the winter apparently :eek: :p

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
mindyjaja said:
I took a load of beach balls to the last few home and away games last season but can't get them at the mo - not much demand for beach balls in the winter apparently :eek: :p

Do your best...beach balls, funnily enough, seem to be great at generating atmosphere - they ease the tension, get people moving around, etc. If not beach balls, then inflatable THINGS (anything will do!)

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Jim in the West said:
Do your best...beach balls, funnily enough, seem to be great at generating atmosphere - they ease the tension, get people moving around, etc. If not beach balls, then inflatable THINGS (anything will do!)

Think I may have a couple of inflatables upstairs, will have a look a bit later, am more than happy to bring em along.

pasty said:
One of the biggest problems with the atmosphere is the fact that it is wide open with no roof at all. I sit in D Block and I rarely hear anything from the singing section at all. I'm not saying that no singing is coming from there, just simply that it doesn't carry.

Singing and making lots of noise is contagious. If the noise from the singing section carried, lots more would join in.

I know what you mean, I sit in second row from the back in "D block" and you can't hear anything most of the time

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
KinkyNormanBaker said:
Doesnt help that people go running to the stewards and dobbing for showing some passion.

Damn right, if I see any of my balls being batted around I will be grassing all culprits up to the stewards, and selling the story to the Argus.:D

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Get Andy D'Urso to ref.

Seriously, the away end has helped to enclose the ground and it's loads better than it was due to this. We're handicapped by lack of roof, so it's really up to us and if we can't get up for Leicester we deserve to go down.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Balloons can do wonders as well.

Mexican waves as suggested before are great at creating an atmosphere. You can make noise whilst doing it, without feeling embarrassed.

I really enjoyed the beach ball when we had one last time at Withdean. If we get a few inflatables going then it can be fun.

Swinging scarves?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Perhaps we should all have an extra pint. ???

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
How about having microphones near the crowd, thereby increasing the sound level? I think Arsenal did something like that when they were re-developing highbury.

I know it might also increase the levels of graons, but worth a thought.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
B.M.F said:
best way to get an atmos going would be to have Prosser as the Ref and D'Urso as the 4th official.

The only thing that gets the Withdean crowd going is something controversial happening on the pitch, be it a bad foul or a crap ref. Remember the first season at Withdean - hardly a game went by without a sending off and the atmosphere was really good.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
thedonkeycentrehalf said:
The only thing that gets the Withdean crowd going is something controversial happening on the pitch, be it a bad foul or a crap ref. Remember the first season at Withdean - hardly a game went by without a sending off and the atmosphere was really good.

That was mad. Pretty much a sending off for the opposition each every game. Probably because we were so good and the teams got frustrated.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
thedonkeycentrehalf said:
Very True, a crap Ref does wonders for the atmosphere.
I don't think there is anything we can do to increase the vocal support at Withdean. J block which is the supposed singing section has the problem of casual attendees. Some are 'up for it' but a lot of others are there just to watch the game.
The stands are too fragmented to get any consistent chanting going.
We'll be saying exactly the same this time next year and although I shouldn't be bothered, I get really depressed when the away fans seem to have some sort of magical amplification system going on. i.e. Burnley the other night, there was only a few of them but when they did sing it sounded really good. (I know we are closer now!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here