Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Major explosion in Beirut

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Really interesting article, thanks for sharing. Similar wartime cargoes lie elsewhere in the channel and northsea, they’re all ticking timebombs seemingly. It does prove, like Lebanon, that we are are prone to let things happen before action is taken. By then, too late. Disaster after disaster is shown to have had numerous warnings before the inevitable. It’s in our genes. Too expensive touted as the usual reason as successive governments hope it doesn’t go off on their watch. Why we don’t hold the establishment more to account I don’t know. That’s why I’d not get to angry with the authorities in Lebanon tonight, instead ask how have I contributed e.g. turned blind eye, voted to pay less tax, didn’t vote at all etc. We’re all guilty in some way usually!

When I was on a training course for H and S for BA, one of the lecturers was an old boy, ex judge, who had in fact written a lot of the Factories Act 1961, interesting chap and was our after dinner speaker on the last day of an exhausting residential course.

Anyway something he said to us was often you hear the saying "there's no such thing as an accident". In truth, he explained there isn't, it's a series of events that lead to a final incident. Remove any one of those events and the incident is avoided. That event can be, an omission or an act and how we (royal we) mitigate to reduce the incidents is crucial but due to the nature of many incidents we can only assess the risks as they become apparent and then assess their severity.

You've guessed it was the H & S Six Pack 1999 regulations, the first time employers were made to complete Risk Assessments.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
2500 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate stored at the port without security measures since 2014, according to the Lebanese PM. Appalling.

2500 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate?

This is what 850lbs of ANFO can do to a cement truck.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Why is everyone trying to guess what's happened here as if this is a Sherlock Holmes book? One user has even posted suggestuions it was a nuclear explosion! I know someone who's been badly affected by this explosion who uses NSC. Have some respect!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why is everyone trying to guess what's happened here as if this is a Sherlock Holmes book? One user has even posted suggestuions it was a nuclear explosion! I know someone who's been badly affected by this explosion who uses NSC. Have some respect!

I am sorry for the distress you have and hope your friend is okay. But it is human nature to discuss a disaster like this. If it wasn't we would never learn. I haven't seen any disrespectful posts, I and many others have been traumatised by seeing events unfold and simply do not wish to see anything of a similar nature anywhere in the world. Let's hope that Lebanon will recover and learn somehow, even from such a horrible thing.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I am sorry for the distress you have and hope your friend is okay. But it is human nature to discuss a disaster like this. If it wasn't we would never learn. I haven't seen any disrespectful posts, I and many others have been traumatised by seeing events unfold and simply do not wish to see anything of a similar nature anywhere in the world. Let's hope that Lebanon will recover and learn somehow, even from such a horrible thing.

I just feel while there's still rescue operations going on, it's a bit early for suggestions that this was an Israeli attack. Someone else even posted suggestions of a nuclear attack!

Let's just hope the death count is as low as possible at this current stage. This only happened yesterday.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20151027-the-ticking-time-bomb-of-the-thames

Bigger explosion if this lot goes up. Could wipe out North Kent coastal towns. Just where BJ wanted his airport.

Not quite. Sheermess would be finished but there is the lump of Sheppy between the ship and North Kent (picture below a view from Whitstable). Boris' airport, though, was intended for somewhere north of Whitstable so the tsunami would certainly devastate it. I can hear Boris now, stating how 'nobody could have forseen the destructive consequences' of Brexit. Sorry, the SS Richard Montgomery blowing up.

ssrm.PNG

Sheppy view.PNG

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
That looks more like an atom bomb than a firework factory.

Unless they’ve just got skipfulls of gunpowder and det chord just sitting inside a hangar manned by chain smokers...nah..

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Not quite. Sheermess would be finished but there is the lump of Sheppy between the ship and North Kent (picture below a view from Whitstable). Boris' airport, though, was intended for somewhere north of Whitstable so the tsunami would certainly devastate it. I can hear Boris now, stating how 'nobody could have forseen the destructive consequences' of Brexit. Sorry, the SS Richard Montgomery blowing up.

View attachment 126811

View attachment 126812

Yeah. That’s right over the estuary from me. Much as I think Southend could benefit from a tsunami levelling the whole yard it would, inevitably, affect my home in Leafy Leigh on Sea. Hmm...decisions, decisions.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
2'500 tonnes of ammonia nitrate? Jesus. That's essentially agricultural fertilizer and formed the basis of many IRA bombs down the years as it was so easy to procure, could be stored innocently on farms and makes for highly effective explosives if packed into the boot of a car.

We went to a fire in a barn once. We asked the farmer what was inside. After he'd reeled off the usual assortment of machinary and tractors he mentioned the 20 bulk bags of ammonia nitrate he was going to use for top dressing his spring barley. It was at this point that we deployed Regulation RLF ('Run Like ****').

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah. That’s right over the estuary from me. Much as I think Southend could benefit from a tsunami levelling the whole yard it would, inevitably, affect my home in Leafy Leigh on Sea. Hmm...decisions, decisions.

Nice to see you back on NSC. I was wondering whether you might update on your Covid experiences, but I guess your hands have been rather full. All the best from leafy Faversham.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
2'500 tonnes of ammonia nitrate? Jesus. That's essentially agricultural fertilizer and formed the basis of many IRA bombs down the years as it was so easy to procure, could be stored innocently on farms and makes for highly effective explosives if packed into the boot of a car.

We went to a fire in a barn once. We asked the farmer what was inside. After he'd reeled off the usual assortment of machinary and tractors he mentioned the 20 bulk bags of ammonia nitrate he was going to use for top dressing his spring barley. It was at this point that we deployed Regulation RLF ('Run Like ****').

Somebody said yesterday the bomb that destroyed the US federal building in Oklahoma City and killed 174 people contained two tonnes of ammonium nitrate :ohmy:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Would be an interesting call to investigate this one!

The brown-ish tinge to the smoke plumes would also suggest a significant quantity of Ammonium Nitrate. The explosive effect would be magnified if contained within a structure (as in this case) or vehicle. Was this secondary to an initial fire and / or earlier smaller deflagrations or detonations?

Investigators may be able to find seismic readings and cross reference this to the area/volume of craters and debris patterns to give a more accurate estimation of the actual explosive force.

However establishing a cause (whether accidental or more sinister) will be an interesting challenge - sifting through thousands of tons of debris for evidence etc, especially as there is likely to be a rather large crater at the epicentre. Not sure there would be many living witnesses or viable CCTV in the immediate vicinity either...

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale

View attachment 126811

View attachment 126812

Did Jimmy Krankie's plans for a bridge from Jockland to N Ireland go over or v close to a similar munitions dump in the Irish Sea, which would have made life more than a little tricky when they got to piling the foundations!!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
About 20 years ago I visited Toulouse a few days after an ammonium nitrate explosion. To get to the city centre I had to pass the site of the explosion and viewed it from an elevated motorway. The scene there and also in the city leads me to believe (from Beirut videos and photos) that the explanation given by Lebanese officials is correct.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sorry? WHOSE plans?

Sturgeon is the one who rightly called out Johnson's suggestion as the transparent bollocks, that it clearly was.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/ne...n-bridge-scotland-northern-ireland-diversion/

They force feed them shit and they lap it up. Probably "seen it on Facebook" or something.

Evidenced news source that hasn't been sued "There is evidence that Donald Trump is a paedophile, especially from people who worked for the now disgraced 'Trump Model Agency' where girls as young as 12 were 'sent to see' Mr Trump if he found them attractive...........etc"

Facebook moron "Yeah they say that because Obama is a pedo and hes not evun American #MAGA"

Millions of Facebook morons "Yo, I just saw that Obama is a pedofile. He should be in prison! #TRUMP2020 #MAGA"

And round and round it goes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here