Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Australian Olympic athletes forced to quarantine for 28 days on their return to South Australia. Bloody hell thats harsh given none of them have tested positive in Tokyo and they've been PCR tested daily. What a lovely welcome home.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Australian Olympic athletes forced to quarantine for 28 days on their return to South Australia. Bloody hell thats harsh given none of them have tested positive in Tokyo and they've been PCR tested daily. What a lovely welcome home.

They've tightened the rules on their own citizens leaving the country as well, you need special permission to go overseas. They also have the army on the streets in Sydney to enforce the strict lockdown.

They seem to have lost the plot a bit

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They've tightened the rules on their own citizens leaving the country as well, you need special permission to go overseas. They also have the army on the streets in Sydney to enforce the strict lockdown.

They seem to have lost the plot a bit

Only 18% fully vaccinated too………their ‘shut everyone out’ policy, without aggressively pushing a vaccination plan at the same time, has left them stuck between a rock and a hard place. Difficult to see when they will be able to get anywhere near approaching normal.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
You have to choose the right boffins. This is a very good interview from someone practising real covid science

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...demic-has-created-a-market-for-gloom-and-doom

That's a very good interview. Although I probably think that because what he says fits with my own views.

He is understanding of the pessimism/caution of those giving advice to government, as am I. And he is as damning of the overly optimistic as he is of the overly pessimistic, as am I.

Positive news has had an important role to play. But so has the need to remind us all that this disease is real, is serious and that pretending it isn't could have had terrible consequences

Most of all, what I take away from that, as I do from most analysis is 'thank god for vaccines and the people that created them'

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So the new season is upon us and only Albion, Chelsea and Spurs require proof of vax or negative test. Pretty proud the Albion is one of few taking public health seriously

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58179662

Risk while seated outdoors on the face of it is fairly low, but packed pubs around grounds, concourses and public transport are all spreading points.

If there is an impact from this we will know pretty quickly

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So the new season is upon us and only Albion, Chelsea and Spurs require proof of vax or negative test. Pretty proud the Albion is one of few taking public health seriously

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58179662

Risk while seated outdoors on the face of it is fairly low, but packed pubs around grounds, concourses and public transport are all spreading points.

If there is an impact from this we will know pretty quickly

So what difference will checking they have been vaccinated or negative test make on entry the ground?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
So what difference will checking they have been vaccinated or negative test make on entry the ground?

Reduces the chance of the virus spreading and encourages people to get jabbed. Besides which, every club will have to do it from October onwards presuming the government doesn't change it's mind (which is admittedly something they have previous for).

People are really only arguing about timing.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Reduces the chance of the virus spreading and encourages people to get jabbed. Besides which, every club will have to do it from October onwards presuming the government doesn't change it's mind (which is admittedly something they have previous for).

People are really only arguing about timing.

It shows how pointless passorts are if brought in for a small amount of activities.

Average Person has done all/some of the following - left the house, got public transport to town, gone to pub/something to eat, public transport to ground - then the same when heading home.

Mixing with people going nowhere near the Amex

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It shows how pointless passorts are if brought in for a small amount of activities.

Average Person has done all/some of the following - left the house, got public transport to town, gone to pub/something to eat, public transport to ground - then the same when heading home.

If you were expecting consistency then you haven't been paying attention!

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I don't know if i'm alone in this but for the first 12 months I didn't know anyone who had caught Covid, perhaps i'm just lucky, but in the last couple of weeks I know 6 separate people who have got it, all unconnected, luckily none of them are very ill most are young or have caught it from their kids.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

There's more and more stories coming out about the vaccinated catching and spreading the Delta varient, the vaccine passports are getting more useless by the day.
I said ages ago on this thread that our only options are to either lockdown forever to stop the spread or accept that everyone who wants to go out and mix with people is going to get it eventually and repeatedly, I've seen nothing to change my mind.
Statistically your mask will only protect you for so long, the masks and social distancing might slow the spread a little bit but they won't stop it.
It's all down to personal choice now, vaccine is the only thing proven to work. If I was immunocompromised or had a good reason not to catch covid I reckon I'd give football a swerve.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
There's more and more stories coming out about the vaccinated catching and spreading the Delta varient, the vaccine passports are getting more useless by the day.
I said ages ago on this thread that our only options are to either lockdown forever to stop the spread or accept that everyone who wants to go out and mix with people is going to get it eventually and repeatedly, I've seen nothing to change my mind.
Statistically your mask will only protect you for so long, the masks and social distancing might slow the spread a little bit but they won't stop it.
It's all down to personal choice now, vaccine is the only thing proven to work. If I was immunocompromised or had a good reason not to catch covid I reckon I'd give football a swerve.

Well said.

If you feel that your health after being vaccinated is still comprised and you are vulnerable that dont go to places that are crowded but dont expect the rest of us to wear masks forever and and tip toe around..I trust the vaccine.

On another note I was up on the Ashdown forest the other day and saw a couple mid 50s wearing gloves and masks while walking their dog...even if they were vulnerable there real is no need for that IMHO.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If you were expecting consistency then you haven't been paying attention!

I’m not, I just think moaning about clubs not doing it is a bit meh

That’s with The club I support and the club I want to win every game the play but 2 doing it and not being completely against the idea.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
What I find bizarre is that I am unvaccinated and I don't wear masks anymore. Since the restrictions have been lifted I have been to a nightclub, and on a pub crawl, to the cinema. I have gone to work surrounded by scores of different people and I have been pinged by the app twice (isolated and got time off work, woohoo)... and I have tested every day.

...but as far as I'm aware I have not yet caught covid ???

I have always had a really strong immune system in terms of 'never getting a cold etc', but probabilistically speaking that still seems mad. I can only assume that my suspicions that I caught covid in Jan 2020 are correct and I have a natural immunity to the bug in its most potent form.

I had something very similar to the original strain of Covid, i.e high temperature, sore throat and generally aching but no headache or runny nose or sneezing in late February 2020 just before the information about it became widespread, hence I went to work. At the time i was working in Central London and rubbing shoulders with people from all over the world so it certainly was possible.

I got selected at random to do an antibody test at the tale end of last year and didn't have any.

I doubt having it 20 months ago would make much difference now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well said.

If you feel that your health after being vaccinated is still comprised and you are vulnerable that dont go to places that are crowded but dont expect the rest of us to wear masks forever and and tip toe around..I trust the vaccine.

On another note I was up on the Ashdown forest the other day and saw a couple mid 50s wearing gloves and masks while walking their dog...even if they were vulnerable there real is no need for that IMHO.

We have a laugh when we see a lone car occupant driving with a mask on. Not just old folk.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
What I find bizarre is that I am unvaccinated and I don't wear masks anymore. Since the restrictions have been lifted I have been to a nightclub, and on a pub crawl, to the cinema. I have gone to work surrounded by scores of different people and I have been pinged by the app twice (isolated and got time off work, woohoo)... and I have tested every day.

...but as far as I'm aware I have not yet caught covid ???

I have always had a really strong immune system in terms of 'never getting a cold etc', but probabilistically speaking that still seems mad. I can only assume that my suspicions that I caught covid in Jan 2020 are correct and I have a natural immunity to the bug in its most potent form.
It's possible. On the other hand, every day young men are dying of covid when a vaccine would have saved them, and every one of them could have said the same as you until very recently. Good luck.

Yoda

English & European
I had something very similar to the original strain of Covid, i.e high temperature, sore throat and generally aching but no headache or runny nose or sneezing in late February 2020 just before the information about it became widespread, hence I went to work. At the time i was working in Central London and rubbing shoulders with people from all over the world so it certainly was possible.

I got selected at random to do an antibody test at the tale end of last year and didn't have any.

I doubt having it 20 months ago would make much difference now.

That's not quite how your immune system works.

Firstly, you wouldn't have had antibodies when you were tested as they only last for up to 2 months, you would need to be tested for B or T Memory Cells to find if you had it early 2020 (which is much more costly, takes more time and is not being done on a large scale).

Secondly, if you did happen to have it again, those same cell would recognise the virus (even the new delta variant as there isn't much change to the spike protein) and instruct your body to reproduce antibodies to attack it again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here