Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's a free for all now. There has been no social distancing in the Tesco I work in for months and half the staff and customers have suddenly developed hidden disabilities preventing them from wearing facemasks.

Interesting because the large store I visit regularly still sees the vast majority with masks :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Whatever happened to the modelling from ‘Independent’ Sage and many others predicting all sorts of gloom three weeks ago?

Many here predicted what you’ve just posted, it made complete sense after such a successful vaccination programme.

A lesson shirley learnt by everyone.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well maybe not half, but it feels like it sometimes. Walked into an aisle yesterday with 10 people in it and only 1 facemask.

I guess you can only go on your own experience…i’d say Tescos Shoreham it’s over 95% compliance but then before they were mandated (July last year?)…hardly anyone wore them in shops….I have my own views on effectiveness..but can quite understand if people still continue to wear them if they discontinue to be mandated later this month……I’d be surprised if the rules change re public transport just yet

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I guess you can only go on your own experience…i’d say Tescos hold bush it’s over 95% compliance but then before they were mandated (July last year?)…hardly anyone wore them in shops….I have my own views on effectiveness..but can quite understand if people still continue to wear them if they discontinue to be mandated later this month……I’d be surprised if the rules change re public transport just yet

A suggested nuanced approach from epidemiologists this week is masks still for train/underground journeys as they’re often packed and for train journeys longer. Windows can’t be left open.

But not for buses, where journeys tend to be short.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A suggested nuanced approach from epidemiologists this week is masks still for train/underground journeys as they’re often packed and for train journeys longer. Windows can’t be left open.

I’m still seeing busses virtually empty and very busy roads…might take a bit yet to get people back onto public transport

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

We are at the crossroads of the triumvirate of “bodies piled high in the streets”, “herd immunity” and “world beating...”, so I’m guessing the general advice will put the onus on the public to take ownership of the problem - that way if things go wrong it’s not the government’s (Boris’s) fault - probably Matt Hancock’s...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We are at the crossroads of the triumvirate of “bodies piled high in the streets”, “herd immunity” and “world beating...”, so I’m guessing the general advice will put the onus on the public to take ownership of the problem - that way if things go wrong it’s not the government’s (Boris’s) fault - probably Matt Hancock’s...

The thing is, after 16 months of restrictions of liberties and not truly living life, I’m hearing so many people say they want that.

They don’t want any more of Big government (whether it be blue or red, Macron, Biden) and scientists, controlling the minutiae of their lives. Wearing a mask in a shop should now be their choice.

Anyone scared have unprecedented safeguards in being double vax’d and wearing a mask.

I agreed with you throughout and condemned the x percent who didn’t give a damn about the safety of others.

But the vaccines have been an incredible game changer. Enough’s enough now. Those who want to should be allowed near normality, to live a life.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The thing is, after 16 months of restrictions of liberties and not truly living life, I’m hearing so many people say they want that.

They don’t want any more of Big government (whether it be blue or red, Macron, Biden) and scientists, controlling the minutiae of their lives. Wearing a mask in a shop should now be their choice.

Anyone scared have unprecedented safeguards in being double vax’d and wearing a mask.

I agreed with you throughout and condemned the x percent who didn’t give a damn about the safety of others.

But the vaccines have been an incredible game changer. Enough’s enough now. Those who want to should be allowed near normality, to live a life.

Agree with you 100%, I've just got this little nagging voice at the back of my head saying it's all going to go tits up - I really really wish it would shut up!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Interesting because the large store I visit regularly still sees the vast majority with masks :shrug:

I've hardly seen a single person this year in a shop without a face mask. A lot of people will be wearing facemasks in the future even if the government drops the requirement.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I’m pretty sure now we have such a high level of vaccinated protection the governments strategy is shifting slightly, I think they will now let the virus spread naturally during the summer, with such high numbers protected it’s unlikely we’ll see the same numbers of serious illnesses and deaths, and we’ll also gain a lot more natural immunity, thus in turn leaving us in a much better place come the winter.
A risky strategy perhaps, but if it works, life really will return to some kind of normality.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Whatever solution they come up with for masks, there will still be issues. Took on a new site last week and one woman there was complaining about not wanting to share a telephone handset because she had to wipe it down every time and there were people around who weren't local and people who had been jabbed twice were too relaxed. She was worried because she hadn't been vaccinated. I thought it was a bit odd as she seemed to be my age. Turns out she won't have one - 5 months too soon to develop one, can't be safe, blah blah.

I'm guessing there are plenty like her around - petrified of getting it but unwilling to get protection. And feisty enough to bitch about others putting her at risk. I see they are thinking about making masks personal choice - usual Government cop out which lets them claim victory if it goes away and blame us if it comes back. Glad I am just in the age group mooted for a booster in the autumn so I can just get on with minimal risk. But I think there will be flashpoints all over the place.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
The problem will be the people that want to keep their distance and wear masks and the people who will just want to get on with things. I can see flashpoints going forwards, from my experience most people at the moment are respecting the rules, in a couple of weeks you will be able to stand next to someone at the tills in Tesco without having to wear a mask which will certainly annoy some.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The problem will be the people that want to keep their distance and wear masks and the people who will just want to get on with things. I can see flashpoints going forwards, from my experience most people at the moment are respecting the rules, in a couple of weeks you will be able to stand next to someone at the tills in Tesco without having to wear a mask which will certainly annoy some.

It will require some tolerance and understanding of both view points.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Covid-19: Masks will become personal choice, says Robert Jenrick

If i wear a mask it is to protect others and others wearing a mask protects me. Basically the government have washed their hands of all responsibility while hinting that not wearing a mask should be the norm.

I would rather they were more honest and told people not to bother. Be interesting to see if TFL and/or any train operator try to make it a condition of carriage.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Covid-19: Masks will become personal choice, says Robert Jenrick

If i wear a mask it is to protect others and others wearing a mask protects me. Basically the government have washed their hands of all responsibility while hinting that not wearing a mask should be the norm.

I would rather they were more honest and told people not to bother. Be interesting to see if TFL and/or any train operator try to make it a condition of carriage.

Isn’t this the best way?

It’s not telling anyone what to do, which is what we all want.

Ministers I’ve seen speak on it have made it clear they won’t be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here