Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
while they may have been PR, there were trained staff. thousands of bank nurses, ex-nurses and doctors, medical students an army were (still are) on standby. dont believe everything you read on twitter.

mind boggling how the fear has literally gripped some people

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
mind boggling how the fear has literally gripped some people

I can't lie, I'm terrified even though statistically speaking I would likely be fine.

I've been WFH since March last year but my other half is a key worker so has been going out to work every day. I'm so proud of her but every day when she walks in the door and I give her a hug I'm worried about whether she's brought it home. That anxiety has gotten even worse since the vaccine rollout because we're so close to being safe.

The news isn't helping but I can't seem to tear myself away from it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
JO'B on LBC just had an interesting interview with Welsh first minister Mark Drakeford. The bits that stood out:

- Regarding opening up for the Xmas period (including familiies getting together), then belatedly changing their minds. They faced no pressure from Downing Street to open up (a loaded question from JO'B?), instead they'd reacted to calls from the Welsh people and I assume businesses. He said the new strain was the game changer, but no one knew that was behind a sharp rise in numbers until just before Xmas. Hence the u-turn .... which was then ignored by many Welsh.

- Barely veiled anger against the section of the Welsh public who'd ignored the rules/law and got together over Xmas. Including people breaking the law to drive to beauty spots.

- Open annoyance with supermarkets. His point was that they are now no longer strictly enforicng the rules that they did in Lockdown 1. For example, the number of customers admitted.

Liked his candour. Agree with him about supermarkets .... the tannoy messages at Sainsbury's yesterday were repeatedly asking customers to respect shoppers not wearing masks. As teens and young adults strolled round the aisels without face coverings. What a joke, as people are dying in record numbers in hospitals this week.

Last edited:

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I wonder what happened to the idea that dentists would be trained to administer the vaccine? After all they are used to using needles in their own profession.

As an aside, could veterinaries do the job?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Major incident declared in London;

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...d-in-london-due-to-hospital-pressure-12182329

You have to ask, why isn’t the Nightingale hospital open? If it’s because of staff shortages, then that seems a bit of an oversight almost a year into the pandemic.

senior NHS/DHSC management want to be seen to be able to handle with the existing structures. Nightingales should have opened for patient weeks ago according to original plans, now the hospitals are supposed to have winter ward running and not need them (so goes the story).

Yoda

English & European
A major incident was raised in Sussex yesterday because there wasn’t a free bed in the Sussex trust hospitals.
The Nightingales were never going to be open because there are no trained staff to use them. They were a PR exercise.
All civilian & military medically trained staff are working to capacity.

Where did you get that information from regarding there not being a free bed in Sussex Hospitals Trusts?

I know WSHT had capacity and were coping well just over a week ago but were under pressure to take more cases from Kent as they didn't. This was also when calls to prepare the Nightingales happened.

The statement from the forum says the following, and doesn't mention the word Bed at all (https://www.sussex.police.uk/srf):
"The Sussex Resilience Forum (SRF) which co-ordinates and communicates between health, emergency services, local authorities and other partners, agreed to declare the incident from 2pm today in response to the high and increasing rate of infection across Sussex and to allow public services to make exceptional preparations for a potentially worsening situation.

A major incident is a recognition of national demand and puts all agencies in Sussex in the best possible position to come together to tackle the virus. It is a well-recognised and rehearsed escalation that can be expected at times of exceptional need – a major incident was also in place during the summer of 2020."

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
JO'B on LBC just had an interesting interview with Welsh first minister Mark Drakeford. The bits that stood out:

- Regarding opening up for the Xmas period (including familiies getting together), then belatedly changing their minds. They faced no pressure from Downing Street to open up (a loaded question from JO'B?), instead they'd reacted to calls from the Welsh people and I assume businesses. He said the new strain was the game changer, but no one knew that was behind a sharp rise in numbers until just before Xmas. Hence the u-turn .... which was then ignored by many Welsh.

- Barely veiled anger against the section of the Welsh public who'd ignored the rules/law and got together over Xmas. Including people breaking the law to drive to beauty spots.

- Open annoyance with supermarkets. His point was that they are now no longer strictly enforicng the rules that they did in Lockdown 1. For example, the number of customers admitted.

Liked his candour. Agree with him about supermarkets .... the tannoy messages at Sainsbury's yesterday were repeatedly asking customers to respect shoppers not wearing masks. As teens and young adults strolled round the aisels without face coverings. What a joke, as people are dying in record numbers in hospitals this week.

Good. Our Tesco store manager had a conversation with head office yesterday and head office are adamant that there will be no return to one-way systems, shop opening times will not be changed and a Tesco Extra store is supposed to be able to cope with 550 customers at one time! During lockdown 1 it was 75. We currently have 29 staff off either with Covid or because they have been pinged by track and trace - one of the places that some were in contact was the store itself and head office's only response to this was that any staff member who is notified that they have been in contact with another staff member who has covid may be subject to disciplinary proceedings as they clearly have been not been social distancing. Nice. Would like to see them try and prove that one.

Yoda

English & European
I can't lie, I'm terrified even though statistically speaking I would likely be fine.

I've been WFH since March last year but my other half is a key worker so has been going out to work every day. I'm so proud of her but every day when she walks in the door and I give her a hug I'm worried about whether she's brought it home. That anxiety has gotten even worse since the vaccine rollout because we're so close to being safe.

The news isn't helping but I can't seem to tear myself away from it.

Really? I'm in the same boat but don't even think about it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where did you get that information from regarding there not being a free bed in Sussex Hospitals Trusts?

I know WSHT had capacity and were coping well just over a week ago but were under pressure to take more cases from Kent as they didn't. This was also when calls to prepare the Nightingales happened.

The statement from the forum says the following, and doesn't mention the word Bed at all (https://www.sussex.police.uk/srf):
"The Sussex Resilience Forum (SRF) which co-ordinates and communicates between health, emergency services, local authorities and other partners, agreed to declare the incident from 2pm today in response to the high and increasing rate of infection across Sussex and to allow public services to make exceptional preparations for a potentially worsening situation.

A major incident is a recognition of national demand and puts all agencies in Sussex in the best possible position to come together to tackle the virus. It is a well-recognised and rehearsed escalation that can be expected at times of exceptional need – a major incident was also in place during the summer of 2020."

Originally Radio Sussex, which led to this.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-55565632?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Good. Our Tesco store manager had a conversation with head office yesterday and head office are adamant that there will be no return to one-way systems, shop opening times will not be changed and a Tesco Extra store is supposed to be able to cope with 550 customers at one time! During lockdown 1 it was 75. We currently have 29 staff off either with Covid or because they have been pinged by track and trace - one of the places that some were in contact was the store itself and head office's only response to this was that any staff member who is notified that they have been in contact with another staff member who has covid may be subject to disciplinary proceedings as they clearly have been not been social distancing. Nice. Would like to see them try and prove that one.

IF that is true someone needs to whistle blow with full details to the government, if true that is a disgrace...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Really? I'm in the same boat but don't even think about it.

Teach me the ways.

Impart your COVID Jedi wisdom on me.

Seriously.

The thing is that whilst it isn't a completely irrational fear because there is a nasty virus out there...it's still pretty f**king irrational. I'm under 40, I'm reasonably fit and the only worry is a minor heart issue which requires no medication. I know I'm low risk. Doesn't stop that little anxiety voice piping up every twenty minutes.

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
Teach me the ways.

Impart your COVID Jedi wisdom on me.

Seriously.

The thing is that whilst it isn't a completely irrational fear because there is a nasty virus out there...it's still pretty f**king irrational. I'm under 40, I'm reasonably fit and the only worry is a minor heart issue which requires no medication. I know I'm low risk. Doesn't stop that little anxiety voice piping up every twenty minutes.

I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with anxiety right now, but can I warn you that stress is massively dangerous, especially if there's a virus floating around. With have an immune system which fights anything not recognised by the body, this includes when the body is having an organ transplant. We inject stress hormones into the body so the immune system backs off and allows the new organ in. That's how powerful stress is, so the last thing you want to do right now is start stressing everyday. I understand its not an easy time but good luck :thumbsup:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Certainly a possibility, although of course it’s difficult to know exactly when, because scientists don’t know for certain how long protection lasts once you’ve had it. However there have been no known symptomatic reinfections which would suggest people who had it in February/March/April COULD still be immune to it now, or at very least won’t be seriously ill if they had it again.

This is sadly not true. But thankfully re-infections are rare.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
68,000 NEW CASES TODAY

I know it takes a while for the lockdown to take effect but why the **** are people still going sabout normal business?? Everyone should be at home and stay at home unless it is absolutely essential. Pictures i am seeing are showing busy roads, packed supermarkets, garden centres. Schools reporting they are more than half full with pupils.

:facepalm:

Surely football and elite sport has got to be suspended soon?

We need a stricter lockdown with harsher penalties for the covidiots breaking the simplest of rules.

Just stay at home until you are told otherwise.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This is sadly not true. But thankfully re-infections are rare.

Reinfections are so rare that they can be put down to faulty testing thou, I didn’t say reinfection was impossible as nobody knows that for sure yet, I said symptomatic reinfection.

Not saying you’re wrong, I just can’t find any evidence of reinfection online, there was 2 cases in Asia I believe that were proven by some kind of genetic sequencing but both reinfections had no symptoms.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
68,000 NEW CASES TODAY

I know it takes a while for the lockdown to take effect but why the **** are people still going sabout normal business?? Everyone should be at home and stay at home unless it is absolutely essential. Pictures i am seeing are showing busy roads, packed supermarkets, garden centres. Schools reporting they are more than half full with pupils.

:facepalm:

Surely football and elite sport has got to be suspended soon?

We need a stricter lockdown with harsher penalties for the covidiots breaking the simplest of rules.

Just stay at home until you are told otherwise.

Well after Mondays "lockdown" was announced, we had a teams meeting in the morning where our boss said as long as we are following all the covid protocols, then we should carry on as we were...so we are, work wise that is. But other than work I am all locked in.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Reinfections are so rare that they can be put down to faulty testing thou, I didn’t say reinfection was impossible as nobody knows that for sure yet, I said symptomatic reinfection.

Not saying you’re wrong, I just can’t find any evidence of reinfection online, there was 2 cases in Asia I believe that were proven by some kind of genetic sequencing but both reinfections had no symptoms.

I read Phil Spector commenting on it a few days ago and have over the months read of people in this country who had symptoms before and faced them again months later. But they are difficult to always verify and some could be mistaken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here