Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
what crippling lockdown? half the country? some pubs and social business will be restricted further, cant meet in other peoples houses in 3 cities. as usual Mail screams scares stories. what they could report is how well the restrictions are in containing the worst effects of the virus.

Do you actually not think what is happening as a result of restrictions and lock down are crippling the economy? I work in Kings Cross and it’s a ghost town compared to a normal family. The sandwich deli I go to said he’d had 29 customers today when they would have normally done over 800. He reckons he’s weeks away from bankruptcy. Pretty much all the small businesses in central London are in the precipice.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Time for the lockdown was a few weeks ago now. We are and always have been playing catchup with Covid, essentially it has a 3 week head start on us and the "restrictions". Our scientists know this. That's why they were advocating the circuit break back in September. Government know this, but don't act timely enough, and continue to fob us off and side-step questions. A national disgrace and criminal negligence.

For those asking about ages in BSUH, all my sister said was "of all ages"

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Of course there is a balance. And difficult decisions.

But right now, the reality is that numbers are going up and accelerating and spreading. And the actions taken so far are not working.
My fear is that the decisions from here may not be led by a clear plan, consistently implemented, but by Daily Mail-led sentiment, individualism and magical thinking. I don't have any problem with Sweden, whether it turns out right or wrong long term it is based on a clear plan, a consistent approach and the government have got the population to buy into it. Same for New Zealand. Different approach, but a plan that suits New Zealand and has been consistenly implemented. Grown up stuff in both cases.

By contrast, the UK feels like a bunch of children being led by some irresponsible teenagers. And I feel it won't end well.

BTW - I totally agree that part of the soluation must be suppirting people to stay at home when posutive and targeted support for vulnerable small business. And that means admitting that we can afford it now (we can) but at some point in the future it will mean increasing taxes on the wealthy

As with [MENTION=33649]darkwolf666[/MENTION], I was with you all the way until the last comment. I suspect you were mixing up what you think should happen with what is most likely to happen. I hope you're right by the way.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
As a lighthearted aside to this otherwise serious thread, my six year old lad drew this picture at school today:

C70AF2BC-47ED-4192-A994-D23371317A33.jpeg

I’m reliably informed that it’s Boris Johnson on the left and a slightly more accurate looking if oversized Donald Trump on the right. As proud as I am of my little boy’s drawing, the concept that our political leaders are front and centre of his young mind rather than the Spiderman or Mario pictures I’d have received 12 months ago made me a little sad.

Thinking back to when I was his age, I knew Maggie Thatcher’s name though weirdly I associated it with the face of Moira Stewart. I guess she just said it a lot. I thought George Bush was a shrub we had in the back garden, and I’m not even joking.

This is ageing all of us, no doubt. But it was a reminder to me that we have to work hard to keep our kids in the safe, wholesome childhood bubble that we all had and they too deserve.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
As a lighthearted aside to this otherwise serious thread, my six year old lad drew this picture at school today:

View attachment 129527

I’m reliably informed that it’s Boris Johnson on the left and a slightly more accurate looking if oversized Donald Trump on the right. As proud as I am of my little boy’s drawing, the concept that our political leaders are front and centre of his young mind rather than the Spiderman or Mario pictures I’d have received 12 months ago made me a little sad.

Thinking back to when I was his age, I knew Maggie Thatcher’s name though weirdly I associated it with the face of Moira Stewart. I guess she just said it a lot. I thought George Bush was a shrub we had in the back garden, and I’m not even joking.

This is ageing all of us, no doubt. But it was a reminder to me that we have to work hard to keep our kids in the safe, wholesome childhood bubble that we all had and they too deserve.

Why’s Boris wearing a crown?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
As with [MENTION=33649]darkwolf666[/MENTION], I was with you all the way until the last comment. I suspect you were mixing up what you think should happen with what is most likely to happen. I hope you're right by the way.

Yes, that's what should happen.

What will happen is another matter, but it puts Boris and chums in a difficult position. Do something they know is the only sensible way forward (spend big now, tax from the top down later) but which goes against every ideological bone in their bodies and (more importantly) will piss off their donors, controllers and home counties support?

Or follow orders from above, leave the workers to rot, impose austerity and suffer the consequences in four years time (or possibly sooner).

Rishi Sunak is a bright and ambitious guy. I suspect he knows the score and now has some interesting tactical choices to make.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
There will be mutiny if Boris imposes the same thing, I just don’t understand what a 2/3 week shut down will do, it will reduce infection numbers like a short term fix but it as soon as they release the ‘circuit breaker’ the power (the virus) will just take spread and take hold again. Let’s be honest, this is just the government reimposing a national lockdown that will probably last the entirety of winter, if we can’t keep infection numbers down now, what chance do we have in the cold winter months with even less immunity in the population?

I’ve seen no proven science behind this idea, and anyone who genuinely believes it will only be 2/3 weeks, give your head a wobble. The first lockdown we were told 3 weeks to protect the NHS, prepare nightingales, secure sufficient PPE supplies and increase testing. We have all those in place now, and lockdown is the only option again.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
There will be mutiny if Boris imposes the same thing, I just don’t understand what a 2/3 week shut down will do, it will reduce infection numbers like a short term fix but it as soon as they release the ‘circuit breaker’ the power (the virus) will just take spread and take hold again. Let’s be honest, this is just the government reimposing a national lockdown that will probably last the entirety of winter, if we can’t keep infection numbers down now, what chance do we have in the cold winter months with even less immunity in the population?

I’ve seen no proven science behind this idea, and anyone who genuinely believes it will only be 2/3 weeks, give your head a wobble. The first lockdown we were told 3 weeks to protect the NHS, prepare nightingales, secure sufficient PPE supplies and increase testing. We have all those in place now, and lockdown is the only option again.

Terminologically that's correct. A circuit breaker does just that - cuts off the flow, then restarts it at the same level. If they are trying to 'suppress' spread for the long-term, they should come up with a more appropriate term!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Daughter (nurse) was on a covid ward for 3 months. Moved back to her ‘normal’ ward weeks ago due to lack of cases. Told me tonight these are increasing quickly again, and average age of people being admitted is much lower than it was last time around (many more 40-50 now, was previously mostly 75+). Numbers aren’t huge yet but increases are a real concern and they are already contingency planning for repurposing other wards back to covid wards.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Australian point of view...

[TWEET]1317362188097519616[/TWEET]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here