Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
But it's a low enough level to live with long term, and the challenge now is to keep it at that level, or below that level as we continue to ease up the lockdown.

This raises an interesting point. Until we have (IF) a vaccine then barring some kind of miracle, we have to live with it doing the rounds in the same way that we do with other Covid infections (Cold, various flu strains). At what point do we say that this is the level of infections and deaths that realistically we just have to get used to. We do with Flu every year, thousands of deaths occur and even in some very bad years, there is rarely any reporting of it in main stream media.The weather has caused packed beaches and parks, BLM protests have caused thousands to gather very close together with barely a ripple in the downward trend of infections and deaths, thus suggesting that only limited social distancing and precautions will be required to keep this at bay. At the current rate of decline the fatalities from all causes will be below average and with new infections headed into the hundreds and falling still. At some point soon this will cease to be a epidemic in this country in the way that it was, and we just get back to normal. I am thinking when the alert level gets to 2 (1 being unrealistic unless a vaccine appears)that will be the new base level.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The weather has caused packed beaches and parks, BLM protests have caused thousands to gather very close together with barely a ripple in the downward trend of infections and deaths, thus suggesting that only limited social distancing and precautions will be required to keep this at bay.

Let's just wait for a few weeks before we get to cocky about this, the next 7-14 days will tell us if there has been any affect with the numbers due to the protests, mass exoduses to the beaches, raves or even the fighting on hove lawns shall we.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Let's just wait for a few weeks before we get to cocky about this, the next 7-14 days will tell us if we have been any affect on numbers due to the protests, raves and fighting on hove lawns shall we.

I'm not cocky at all, however the situation is that the first BLM protests were getting on for 3 weeks ago, VE Day., Bank Holidays etc were before that, and that the latest data from NHS 111 and 119 are still showing decreases after all of these events. You say yourself to wait 7-14 days as the incubation period for this is between 7-14 days , but that more than covers the biggest BLM protests 3 weeks ago, so if there was a large impact there would be large numbers with symptoms by now, and the first point of call is NHS111. There has not only been no spike in calls, but the number of calls continue to fall(see various posts from prior days regarding the figures). I don't think we are out of this yet, but we are clearly at the point where its reasonable to ask at what point do we consider things to be at "the new normal"

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I still don’t understand how everyone can go to the beach, theme parks, Primark etc and apparently in the next few weeks fly abroad yet I cannot work in my office and the majority of kids can’t go to school.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm not cocky at all, however the situation is that the first BLM protests were getting on for 3 weeks ago, VE Day., Bank Holidays etc were before that, and that the latest data from NHS 111 and 119 are still showing decreases after all of these events. You say yourself to wait 7-14 days as the incubation period for this is between 7-14 days , but that more than covers the biggest BLM protests 3 weeks ago, so if there was a large impact there would be large numbers with symptoms by now, and the first point of call is NHS111. There has not only been no spike in calls, but the number of calls continue to fall(see various posts from prior days regarding the figures). I don't think we are out of this yet, but we are clearly at the point where its reasonable to ask at what point do we consider things to be at "the new normal"

None of what you have said means that a bigger 2nd wave wouldn't happen in the autumn or winter. In that climate the measures for social distancing would be different as transmission is likely to be affected by the season's temperature, humidity levels etc.

Anyway this is the good news thread, back on topic, you are right we didn't see a resurgence of cases after the big recent protests and for that I am very glad!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Agreed with your point about alert level 2 - which mentions “minimal social distancing”.

I hope we move to alert level 2 in the next couple of months, at which point I think we’ll be at alert level 2 until a vaccine sorts this virus out or treatment brings it to a largely non-lethal status.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

There is a huge difference between the ability of the virus to spread indoors and outside.

All of the "here comes the second peak!" events were outside. The fantastic run of weather we've had has been a real blessing in that regard.

Social interactions indoors are massively down on "old normal", and when people do spend time indoors with others, most people act with care to keep distance as much as practical. Add on improved hygiene - wash your hands etc - and that is why we have been successful at reducing infections, hospitalisations and deaths.

The challenge is the re-introduction of indoor social interactivity, whilst keeping virus spread broadly under control.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I still don’t understand how everyone can go to the beach, theme parks, Primark etc and apparently in the next few weeks fly abroad yet I cannot work in my office and the majority of kids can’t go to school.

Because it's a balancing act. An either/or situation.

The aim is to keep overall R number down to 1 or below. If you allow pubs, theme parks, shopping, etc you increase risk. To balance that you have to keep risks low elsewhere. If you allow people to work in offices and kids to go to school then you'd eiter accept R above 1 or you'd have to slow down on other stuff...like theme parts beach etc.

The choices probably reflect the fact that kids not in school and people working from home = no additional cost to govt. Whilst keeping businesses afloat, people on furlough and payments to self employed who can't work is expensive.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the difference is that people on the beach and out and about are not supposed to be mixing with other people, keeping a distance. in the office this is not practical, with many common areas where dozens of contact points occur. if one person has infection it can spread rapidly. its down to risk mitigation, you can reduce risks in public spaces, even shops, not so much in a confined office over 8hrs.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Chaos on Bournemouth beach..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53176717

You could say people are stupid, but only as stupid as the government guidelines...

Just reading the overnight news and it looks very much like we will know in 2 weeks from now if this virus is truly a bona fide deadly pandemic or not , with the crowds depicted at numerous seaside towns/cities/resorts etc.... its looking like a lot of people have travelled by rail so pretty much perfect conditions for transmission between people given that the 26 deg Celsius mortality temp for the bug seems to be false information.

Nice that the youth decided to use their time at Hove lawns to scrap it out with rival groups......ffs , morons....!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Just reading the overnight news and it looks very much like we will know in 2 weeks from now if this virus is truly a bona fide deadly pandemic or not , with the crowds depicted at numerous seaside towns/cities/resorts etc.... its looking like a lot of people have travelled by rail so pretty much perfect conditions for transmission between people given that the 26 deg Celsius mortality temp for the bug seems to be false information.

Nice that the youth decided to use their time at Hove lawns to scrap it out with rival groups......ffs , morons....!
Very true. If we don't get a spike in 2-3 weeks then it is very good news.

Although, we'll still need to beware of a winter 2nd wave.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
:nono:

[TWEET]1275955094995873793[/TWEET]
Sounds like new cases are taking off at an alarming rate, daily numbers at pre-lockdown levels. So, the economy has been trashed, unemployment up, and Billions of Dollars paid out to support people and the US is almost back to square 1. It looks pretty obvious that lockdowns were lifted before proper rules on mask wearing and distancing were in place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here