Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Last Sunday new cases : 1326
This Sunday new cases : 1514

Hopefully just a blip ?

Weekly cases reported overall are down 20% on last week, overall it’s still moving in the right direction. Can understand the worry though.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Hopefully just a blip ?

I’ve quoted a post below from The Wizard in the good news thread that shows the continued rolling average downward trend and that 1100 of the new positive cases are from community testing so, likely to be milder cases.

Agree with all the above, and though the new cases remains steady in the mid/low 1000s testing by date of specimen shows a still consistent drop in cases that require medical care. 1100 of the 1500 cases today are from Pillar 2 of testing which is general public testing, most of which are likely to be mild cases.

View attachment 124882

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Beijing having an outbreak:

Beijing is reintroducing strict lockdown measures and rolling out mass testing after a fresh cluster of novel coronavirus cases emerged from the city's largest wholesale food market, sparking fears of a resurgence of the deadly outbreak.

The Chinese capital reported 36 new Covid-19 cases on Monday, bringing the total number to 79 since a locally transmitted infection was reported on June 12 for the first time in nearly two months, according to the National Health Commission.​

More >>> https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/15/asia/coronavirus-beijing-outbreak-intl-hnk/index.html

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No essential shops open today, you'd think they'd finally insist in face coverings, esp with contact tracing still in its infancy and Cummins 2.0 app no where in sight..

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Beijing having an outbreak:

Beijing is reintroducing strict lockdown measures and rolling out mass testing after a fresh cluster of novel coronavirus cases emerged from the city's largest wholesale food market, sparking fears of a resurgence of the deadly outbreak.

The Chinese capital reported 36 new Covid-19 cases on Monday, bringing the total number to 79 since a locally transmitted infection was reported on June 12 for the first time in nearly two months, according to the National Health Commission.​

More >>> https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/15/asia/coronavirus-beijing-outbreak-intl-hnk/index.html

I think that small isolated outbreaks are a forgone conclusion and I’m sure the same will happen over here too, I don’t think we’ll ever be able to eradicate the virus completely, but it’s how we manage the outbreaks which is key, the Chinese do seem to have it down to a fine art to be fair, we could learn a lot from the way they react so quickly.
Also we should put this outbreak into context, 79 cases in a city with a population of 20m that seemed to escape almost unscathed earlier in the year must make them slightly more vulnerable for new infections.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think that small isolated outbreaks are a forgone conclusion and I’m sure the same will happen over here too, I don’t think we’ll ever be able to eradicate the virus completely, but it’s how we manage the outbreaks which is key, the Chinese do seem to have it down to a fine art to be fair, we could learn a lot from the way they react so quickly.
Also we should put this outbreak into context, 79 cases in a city with a population of 20m that seemed to escape almost unscathed earlier in the year must make them slightly more vulnerable for new infections.

I'm not suggesting it is catastrophic, but the Chinese are clearly worried having (at least according to reports) managed to keep a lid on spread so successfully.

Yes, 79 cases is not many, but that's 79 detected cases. There will be more people walking about spreading it undetected, as the article acknowledges:

"At a meeting of the State Council, China's cabinet, late on Sunday, Vice Premier Sun Chunlan said the risk of the latest outbreak spreading was "very high," citing the market's dense and highly mobile population"​

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Hopefully just a blip ?

I may have missed something but these aren't new cases are they? Just Positive tests? Including testing of people in hospitals who appear to have recovered etc?

I may have missed something but these aren't new cases are they? Just Positive tests? Including testing of people in hospitals who appear to have recovered etc?

New cases I presume. Whether it includes say hospital patients who tested positive on arrival and say,4 days later still tested positive who knows?! If it's the latter then actual new cases could be far less.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
They are the "new cases" on worldometers, by whatever definition they use.

Nicola Sturgeon clarified some of it in Scotland today. As an example you get tested in a pop up centre or a home kit. It comes back positive and over next few days you get admitted to hospital. The hospital test again gives positive result. This isn't included as a new case as you've already been included in previous days numbers. Judging by that I would assume that figures released daily are actual new cases.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
No essential shops open today, you'd think they'd finally insist in face coverings, esp with contact tracing still in its infancy and Cummins 2.0 app no where in sight..

You appear to have an unusually large obsession with Cummings, possibly unhealthily so.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'm not suggesting it is catastrophic, but the Chinese are clearly worried having (at least according to reports) managed to keep a lid on spread so successfully.

Yes, 79 cases is not many, but that's 79 detected cases. There will be more people walking about spreading it undetected, as the article acknowledges:

"At a meeting of the State Council, China's cabinet, late on Sunday, Vice Premier Sun Chunlan said the risk of the latest outbreak spreading was "very high," citing the market's dense and highly mobile population"​

Over the weekend we had some people on here claiming it didn't matter that infections were on the rise, because deaths were falling. One definetly trails the other and if we don't have infections down to double figures by the end of the summer, I think we will be in trouble. The Chinese have identified a local outbreak and through track and trace, discovered a good number of infected individuals. Anyone in that area now knows to be on heightened alert, including the most vulnerable. I guess we will find out soon enough if they have contained it, or stumbled onto something much bigger.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have been following this all closely. In the UK the vast majority of deaths are in the over 65s. The rest are almost all immunocompromised. My data crunching suggests it is all over for now (apart from in India, Pakistan, Brazil, Chile, Sweden and the sister-shagging states of the deep south).

I think we should have shielded the vulnerable some weeks ago and let the rest get on with it. Some youngsters will get ill. Some may die. But the prevelance is barely different from seasonal flu. We don't shut down the whole nation for that.

All the money that has been spent on furlough and lost economic activity should have been directed to shield the old and vulnerable. This was evident weeks ago.

Sorry but there it is. I'm in a moderate risk (of death) band (age 62) and I personally will be keeping safe, but the young (under 50s?) should all be back at work and in normal life.

HMG utterly clueless.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I have been following this all closely. In the UK the vast majority of deaths are in the over 65s. The rest are almost all immunocompromised. My data crunching suggests it is all over for now (apart from in India, Pakistan, Brazil, Chile, Sweden and the sister-shagging states of the deep south).

I think we should have shielded the vulnerable some weeks ago and let the rest get on with it. Some youngsters will get ill. Some may die. But the prevelance is barely different from seasonal flu. We don't shut down the whole nation for that.

All the money that has been spent on furlough and lost economic activity should have been directed to shield the old and vulnerable. This was evident weeks ago.

Sorry but there it is. I'm in a moderate risk (of death) band (age 62) and I personally will be keeping safe, but the young (under 50s?) should all be back at work and in normal life.

HMG utterly clueless.

Dam Harry I’ve been working all the time ...should I stop I’m nearly as old a git as you lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here