Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I suspect there’ll be a lesser second spike when we hit the regular flu/cold season in the autumn. But this time governments across Europe should be ready - care homes, PPE, targeted actions to localised surges in new cases, hopefully effective track and trace.

Agree with all of this. Assuming it was here a few weeks before anyone first thought in January, at that time we were all doing things to spread it rapidly.
It'll be suppressed massively 2nd time round just by social distancing and no mass gatherings.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with all of this. Assuming it was here a few weeks before anyone first thought in January, at that time we were all doing things to spread it rapidly.
It'll be suppressed massively 2nd time round just by social distancing and no mass gatherings.

Another reason why packed football stadia won’t be allowed for some time.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Today will be a good marker regarding the Repro Rate - because many tourist hotspots (Brighton included) were very busy today. Not normal BHoliday busy - but off the scale compared to just 4 weeks ago. And though some attempted social distancing, many were in full gathering mode.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Today will be a good marker regarding the Repro Rate - because many tourist hotspots (Brighton included) were very busy today. Not normal BHoliday busy - but off the scale compared to just 4 weeks ago. And though some attempted social distancing, many were in full gathering mode.

People were saying we’d have another peak around now due to VE Day shenanigans, I haven’t seen that yet either.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Just had a Coronavirus update from our management, stating "If for any reason you feel that you may be unsafe to drive, for example through impairment of vision, you absolutely should not test this by attempting to drive."

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
People were saying we’d have another peak around now due to VE Day shenanigans, I haven’t seen that yet either.

Yes, agree. There were a few gatherings in our street for VE Day. Just an observation that yesterday it was (virtually) impossible for the thousands on the beach and lawns to practice any sort of SD.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes, agree. There were a few gatherings in our street for VE Day. Just an observation that yesterday it was (virtually) impossible for the thousands on the beach and lawns to practice any sort of SD.

Surely if it's that busy though, you should go somewhere else?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Exactly what I’ve been saying all along, all that is needed is for people to make sensible decisions, if it’s busy go somewhere else !
People cannot complain about the lack of social distancing if they are part of the problem!

Living in a small country Village that is fairly popular with walkers, tourists etc, the problem of SD is actually getting far worse as we have been constantly inundated with 'C-19 Tourists' who seem to think we are either immune from it or that our village is some kind of plague exhibit. I support free unlimited movement and exercise, but all heading en mass to destinations where people are trying to live under lockdown and manage SD in small communities is not good.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I suspect there’ll be a lesser second spike when we hit the regular flu/cold season in the autumn. But this time governments across Europe should be ready - care homes, PPE, targeted actions to localised surges in new cases, hopefully effective track and trace.

It’s annoying as I can’t find it again (which I guess tells its own story)

But I read one view from a scientist claiming this could be the second more aggressive spike as we don’t know how early it was with us and how that date is getting earlier

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
But I read one view from a scientist claiming this could be the second more aggressive spike as we don’t know how early it was with us and how that date is getting earlier

I have NO idea which medical expert to believe anymore.

I have heard and read millions of threats, theories, strategies and critiques. Mix the best bits from most of them and you have the perfect and correct response.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Living in a small country Village that is fairly popular with walkers, tourists etc, the problem of SD is actually getting far worse as we have been constantly inundated with 'C-19 Tourists' who seem to think we are either immune from it or that our village is some kind of plague exhibit. I support free unlimited movement and exercise, but all heading en mass to destinations where people are trying to live under lockdown and manage SD in small communities is not good.
I’m in a very similar situation, we live in a very rural setting and have been inundated with walkers, I agree it is difficult.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage

I’ve read the same, and can certainly see the theory behind it, and just about everyone I’ve spoken to had symptoms in December and January so I guess it’s a real possibility.
The antibody test will go a long way to proving or unproving it I guess.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Surely if it's that busy though, you should go somewhere else?

Low tide Dog walk on shoreham port beach at 7 last night (it was much quieter along there) and first hand account from 18 year old daughter who has been unbelievably excellent at observing lockdown but cracked yesterday.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just had a Coronavirus update from our management, stating "If for any reason you feel that you may be unsafe to drive, for example through impairment of vision, you absolutely should not test this by attempting to drive."

Your management either has a sense of humour, or disdain for hypocrisy. Perhaps even both.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The scientist on BBC news this morning was saying that if people don't have symptoms you'd have to be in very close proximity to them for a period of time to catch it.

Being outdoors is incredibly low risk and given the level of infections I think we're in a place now where we shouldn't be stressing about parks and beaches being busier.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The scientist on BBC news this morning was saying that if people don't have symptoms you'd have to be in very close proximity to them for a period of time to catch it.

Being outdoors is incredibly low risk and given the level of infections I think we're in a place now where we shouldn't be stressing about parks and beaches being busier.
Well we'll know within 2 weeks for sure, so that'll be good info for the rest of us non-beach-venturers to have.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

I can see why that would make sense and wondered it myself, but the excess deaths stats just don’t seem to back it up.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I can see why that would make sense and wondered it myself, but the excess deaths stats just don’t seem to back it up.

Could it be that some deaths around that time were put down to flu as obviously covid won’t have been tested for ?
I know the flu death rate this year was quite high, and put down to the flu jab not being as successful as in previous years ?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Could it be that some deaths around that time were put down to flu as obviously covid won’t have been tested for ?
I know the flu death rate this year was quite high, and put down to the flu jab not being as successful as in previous years ?

The excess deaths data doesn’t look at what the deaths were recorded as. It just presents how many deaths there were over a set time (e.g month by month) and compares it to how many deaths there are on average in previous years over that set time.

I’ll try find the link but I think in the UK we had little to no excess deaths from December-February, then from March-May we had a very high amount.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here